RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
All 4 are happily sparking... so that ok! next step; compression check, as the sparkplug were out anyways.

Found the most likely cause... no compression on the 2 "failing" cylinders. these are number 2 and 4. so i suspect... something to do with the valves (MIND YOU... the engine turns over like a purring kitten, no metal bits are hitting other metal bits... )
Most likely caused because is ... ME.... as I am lazy. I had 2 sets of camshafts... 1 complete with the gearwheels, 1 without the gear wheels (they came with the shafts, but where not mounted). and I decided I just had to use the mounted ones... because... I am lazy.
now I will change the shafts... as the "without mounted" ones are officially the ones belonging with the head..... (ok, you can all bash me now, but not to much .... :) )

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
your kitbashing anyway..mistakes like this happpen to the best of us...and CANT be helped when dealing with unknown used parts...atleast its something simple and not catastrophic

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
yeah... well... could have done the clearence test on the bench.... but .. i did not... now I have to figure out... how much negative the clearance is... (0,05? 0,10? 0,15? 0,20?) each needs a different shimm (more or less). Did some fiddling in Excel and came to a "safe" middle way... (I think). Shimms are in da house to night... and will be fitted tomorrow. (with a little luck... as we have the celebration of our kings B-day tonight / tomorrow...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cant wait til you get this going. I have the same kit ready to go into my Kz650 when ever I get it finished.

k810kit.jpg

Reactions: custer

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
NICE!! there won't be a small bore left at this rate :)
today did the valves... all went really well until i got a clearance of 0,20 where i was expecting 0,15. and... i did not have any thicker shimms anymore :( so... it is on the number 4 intake... decided to close her up partly and do the compression test (all the others are between 0,10 and 0,18 so good to go! )
compressiontester hooked up to the cylinder that was f-ing about ... cranking... nicely op to 8,5 (i do not trust this scale at all...only use it to see if there is any difference between cylinders) all others did the same... so i am happy! now dedicate my time to routing all the cabels, connectors and so on... tuesday get the right shimm and GOOOO... :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
OK! we are really close now...

Need to do the following:
- replace inlet booth's (I have better once, and will choose safe over sorry :righton: )
- route all the cables correctly (i found out there was a ZX6R cable used, the shop (by accident) gave me a ZX12 cable and to make matters worse, also the new cable did not fit, as the little "eye" on the cultch mechanisme broke...)
- get the little clutch arm (ordered a new one, will take new Zr7 cable to the shop to show them the fitting issue (kawa-quality guy had a holiday or something :z )
- fit the front sprocket and chain.

When this is all done... it is break in time.... I know there are many different ways, but I value your opinions (you are the once with the right bikes :notworthy ) anythoughts?
just GO and make as many rev-changes and different loads as possible...
take it real slow... and build it up?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
ive got 3 rules when it comes to 100% fresh engines...drive it like you intend to....BUT dont go over half throttle for the first 3-500 miles..and avoid "sustained" rpms..ie dont get on the freeway and hold 55mph for 20 mins or more

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
also give it more time then useual to warm up this helps the assembly lube get moving where it should be

most of break in is about 2 things..heat cycling and setting the rings in

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
This story is getting a slapstick-level that is a little too high....
My clutch cable needed to be replaced... So, with the order of gaskets, bearings, o-rings... I also ordered an original ZR-7 clutch cable... this is number 1399.
I got the stuff, never looked at the cable as this would be one of the last items to attach to the bike anyway... last weekend (so not yesterday...) I started to get to the point where the cable had to be attached... Only to find out, it was about a foot shorter than the one that was mounted originally! Strange...
Checking the numbers on both cables showed i had gotten a 1398 (with a "smudged" 8, posing as a 9, the number on the bag was 1399!!).... This is a ZX12 cable... DOH... so, back to the dealer... He looked at the cables... and we talked about them, my previous cable (1301) worked fine since he had this in stock, I got a new 1301 as a replacement for the 1398 (that was supposed to be a 1399). Now.. last week I have been fidling with the cable, what routing .... You get it... upon attaching the the end of the cable to the little arm on the clutch... I found out the nipple was barely fitting the hole!! So...... Not to worry, a little filing will fix that.... SNAP ... The skinny part of the arm broke OF.... Damn... So... I ordered a new original arm... But I did take the cable in to the shop when the arm was there! and of course.. it did not fit!!! The The guy at the shop was rather surprised.... and ended up ordering a new 1399 cable after all... I am real curious if the new 1399 cable will fit the arm, so when the cable gets in (Wednesday) i will take the little arm to the shop once more and see if it fits... :) To be continued.

The bike does have its engine covers on now (all of them :) ) looking rather smashing!
Tomorrow night I have an intake inspection and replacing of rubber booths planned... with luck, this weekend, it all comes together :)

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I think you should have just bought a newer bike with a bigger displacement lol.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Well maybe... but than again, this has been a lovely journey... I learned a ton of new things and ... most of the parts (like the inlet booths) are already mine before we started the whole adventure.
Last night I've changed the booths. Also took the time to make the idle adjuster a little easier to manipulate. Just ... a lovely night of tinkering... :)

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Ahh tinkering. There, we now have the truth. As you started this thread in July of last year it's my hypothesis that you don't want to finish the bike as you'll have nothing left to tinker on :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
damn... you are on to me Obo!
no, I have done so many other things, got my engineering degree (college degree), upgraded my house to put it on the market and sold my house (in 5 weeks, only 1% under the asking price), changed jobs. And... somewhere in the minutes that are left did a strip down and rebuild of this engine....
so, I am rather proud of my work, but it did take an eternity indeed.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
All good things take time and should not be rushed.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Question was the performance increase worth all the trouble ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Worth it is all a matter of how much you want a custom one off piece of machine.
Anybody could buy a faster bigger better bike. Not for everyone but IMO worth it

Reactions: shakennstirred

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
The goal was, as explained in earlier posts... to solve the oil use (which was getting out of hand).
I had the choice between oem parts of Wiseco parts (more or less the same price). And as i was going along in the process, other bits ZR-7 engine came on my path and so the plan evolved from a "simple" "inframe" barrel re-drill and piston replacement to a complete engine swap with new bearings all round.
The performance is not going to be much better, a bit of torque maybe, a propper tuning on a dyno is planned as well, just because i can, also not for performance as such...

And if i would like... in the future i could always go for Ivan's/dyno/other tune kit with open exhaust and/or other performance upgrades (ignition advancer and so on).

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
similar thing happened with my honda 600...a simple rebuild turned into punching it out to a 636....in my case it was "yeah stock pistons arnt availible right now..if youd like to wait a long while its going to be double the cost of a performance slug"....i SAVED money punching it bigger ..my guess is while you spent a lil extra on some of the new parts to do it "right"vs just doing a "top end" if you ignore everything but the top end i bet you didnt spend a whole lot more

141 - 160 of 190 Posts