RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gambled on a Candy Apple Green Meanie, because it was pretty and cheap. I'm hoping it won't be like a female parallel:nono: It has 25,600 km or around 16,000 miles. I have changed the oils, and checked it over. No metal lumps in the screen. The question I will ask is if the knocking sound at idle is common, as I have read, or is it more sinister? The sound goes away when I pull away and the bike has mucho get up and go. It is all stock, so the mufflers don't hide engine noises. It seems to be uppermost in the engine and maybe more to the right, but I can't be sure.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Streaker..Welcome!

Tell us little about the bike. What type of intake does it have?
Dont forget to post pics!!:)
It is all original with the stock intake, pipes and all. It is in the garage, so haven't taken a photo yet. The Craigslist one wasn't very sharp. I hope this is ok, I just received an email saying I wasn't supposed to post yet! I hope it still woprks.

·
Registered
703 Posts
My '04 greanie knocks and sounds awful too. Not sure what is normal. Mine runs great - I do the maintenance and take care of it, and pray that it takes care of me.

Nice color, BTW!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That all sounds reasonably encouraging. Yes, the candy apple green is pretty snazzy. I am going out tomorrow to find one of those 12v, 1.7w instrument panel bulbs. If the dealer that has them in stock happens to be a Suzuki or Kawasaki dealer, maybe I'll ask a tech. Hopefully he won't be a doom and gloom kind, or an upseller.
The bike did come with some soft bags and those two U brackets for supporting them. Also a cardboard box with a brand new stock muffler and catalytic set, plus misc pegs and what not. These were from his friend who had installed after market pipes on his meanie. This is my first Kawasaki. I have been a BMW, Honda and Yamaha guy until now.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Welcome! I hope your sound is just the normal noisy operation of our bikes (cold idle solenoids etc.) and you love yours as much as we love ours! Lots of knowledgeable, helpful people here. Best motorcycle forum on the web!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered my bulbs, so didn't get to go by the dealer, but when they are ready, I'll have it checked. In the meantime I'm gonna' just ride it anyway............ Que sera sera :righton:

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
I have a buddy that is letting an '04 Green Mean Streak rot in his basement. I am trying to talk him into letting it go. I haven't seen a green one in person, but I do like that color on other kawasakis I have seen. Of course I will only buy it if he lets it go for trade in value in case I want to clean it and flip it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The green ones are always noisier. Should have bought another color :)

I assume you checked that is has enough oil? Some noise is to be expected - as others have said - Just normal engine noise (every bike I have ever bought has alarmed me with a noise specific to that engine) and the cold idle solenoids.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The first thing I did was pump up the tires as they were a little low, then I changed the oil, filter and checked the screen. The screen looked pretty clean. No naughty engine parts stuck in it.
I'll say to Twowheeladdict that it is a very nice green. It is truly Candy Apple Green with its clear coated metallic look. That's what suckered me in. Being an old guy, it should really bend the minds of young people to see me on this instead of some over-bagged Harley or Goldwing. I wear a jazzy full-face helmet, so until the lid comes off, they won't even know. Then all the young women will say, RATS!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The green ones are always noisier. Should have bought another color :)

I assume you checked that is has enough oil? Some noise is to be expected - as others have said - Just normal engine noise (every bike I have ever bought has alarmed me with a noise specific to that engine) and the cold idle solenoids.
Doh! What are the cold idle solenoids? I see now a photo on line of them under the round cover. What do they do?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Cold Idle solinoids, do just that control your idle when the bike is cold.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The noise is the same cold or warm. Say, I just figured out about the avatar. This is the Craiglist photo of my bike for sale. The guy hasn't deleted it yet.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I have open air and coba pipes, my mill has close to 27,000 miles on it...'02 meanie fifteen and no engine noises other than the quiet clinker of smooth running hydraulic lifters turning over. With the smog system gone it is even better. It idles smooth....we do run non ethanol 92 premium in them out here...maybe bad gas can cause a low rpm knock too...I am speculating like Rasmith noted, it can never hurt to run a compression check on a bike when you buy it used, and make sure it is running to or very very close to specks. If you have a weak hole, could mean trouble. You say it ramps up hard when you twist back a bit...good sign. Look always to AVOID BAD GAS!!! Good luck with that Streaker90...welcome to the group. Always be-no-shy when you have questions.....yours will be answered.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today for sure I'm going to get a tech to listen to my engine. BTW I don't have an owner's manual, but the big fat service one. It says to use the premium gas. What is the minimum octane I should use? It has premium right now. I think I'd have been leary of this bike if I'd perused the manual first. It seems like almost everything one does, you have to remove the tank or the engine. I liked it when you could approach most things from the side. Especially my old BMW R60 when I was young, where it is all hanging out there. No battery, no water cooling, all very simple like me.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Octane, Oil, Tires...The three most covered topics on the forum..Do some research and you'll see there are varying opinions on all of it. Find what works best for you while staying within Manufacture Specs.

Manual calls for 90..89 Octane is good for me when I cant get Premium (91-93) but you'll see most everyone goes with the highest at the pump. It's only a couple cents more a gallon so why not.

Oil..Streak have wet clutches so it's important to use proper oil specs.
API SE, SF or SG class
API SH or SJ class with JASO MA
viscosity SAE10W-40
capacity 3.5 L (3.7 US qt, when engine is completely disassembled and dry)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts