RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a 2001 zr750s ($1000). It in good physical condition and started right up at the previous owners house. He did mention that it would possible need a carb sync and a less likely valve adjustment and it sat for three months. So once I got the bike home (in back of truck) it started fine, I took it for a few spins around the block and parked it. I let it sit for about an hour and attempted to start it again but it would not fire up. the next morning it started up again then it got pretty temperamental about running starting sometimes and not other times.

I know it needs to go to the shop but what do you suggest I have them do? A simple carb cleaning, carb sync or valve adjustment?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts
Valve check/adjustment may be due. It is supposed to be done every 6000 miles. Old gas or dirty carbs can cause hard starting. Carb sync is due after carb cleaning and/or valve adjustment. A weak battery can cause a hard or no start too.

Welcome to the forum. The ZR is a great bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your advice Jon! The battery did become weak after a few failed start attempts so I am currently giving that a charge.
I am fairly mechanically inclined, do you think with the assistance from a maintenance manual i could prefor the carb cleaning on my own??

·
Super Moderator
3,334 Posts
Choke??

First and foremost, :welcome: Sparcos !

Now, to the subject at hand. Hard starting.... The ZR-7S is a fairly cold-blooded animal... were you using any choke to assist in starting?? I have to choke mine each morning, regardless of temperature. Warmer mornings I just don't need to leave it choked for long.

There are even some times after riding for a time that it does not want to restart without a little choke. Depends on temperatures and how long it has been sitting between runs.

Jon has good input and I always trust his opinion. But, you could, for starters, just run a tank with Seafoam through it, get used to how the bike "needs" to be started and then determine if the additional work is needed at the moment.

Enjoy the ride. The ZR is a great bike. It doesn't do ANYTHING great, but, it does a bunch of things well..... again :welcome:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the additional help! I slow charged the battery for about 24 hrs and re installed it, and the bike acts like it wants to fire up but won't despite where the choke is positioned. I'm not sure but I don't think the sea foam would help seeing as how I can't get it to start, I might be wrong.

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take it in, it probably is a good idea to get it looked over regardless.

Once again thanks for your help!

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts
Have a look at the jetting section at www.zr-7.com it will giove you some pics and info and then you can determine if you want to try your hand at cleaning the carbs. Another thing to check is the automatic fuel shutoff valve. If the vacuum hose is kinked or leaking the fuel wont turn on. You can also try the "prime" position to see if it will start. Gump is right. Seafoam is good stuff. You can add it to the tanks, slosh it around, drain the carbs then let the seafoamed gas fill them back up. Worth a shot...

Could also have fouled plugs. Easy enough t check or change.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hard starting, new bike...

Since you just bought it, you really have no idea, about previous maintenance that was, or wasnt done... your best bet, is to start by doing an oil change, new plugs, cleaning the carbs, checking valve clearances, etc... THEN see what you have. You have to establish a baseline, where you KNOW everything is right... or else you are just guessing... from that point, if all is well... Then just do the normal prescribed maintenance... a new battery may even be in order. Carb cleaning isnt that difficult... I am sure most could do it, if they take their time, and pay close attention to detail. Checking valve clearances, pretty much the same deal. Its only if you find something out of tolerance there, where a dealer might be needed, or helpful, just because most will have the shims in stock, to swap out. I hope this helps...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts