RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Which option?

• Go for the gold! Trade in or sell the ZR-7, and buy both the EX250 and Daytona 955i!

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Trade in the ZR-7 on the ZX6R, and try and use it for both street and track.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Forget about racing, concentrate on looking cool. Keep the ZR-7 and stop torturing yourself.

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local Kawasaki dealer the other day, checking out their selection of EX250's, when I happened across a brand new, leftover model 2000 ZX6R. It was the same beautiful blue as my ZR-7. To the best of my knowledge, this bike hasn't been updated since 2000, either, so it's not like I would be settling.

As much as I want this little Ninja, and as much as I absolutely adore the Triumph Daytona, that blue Ninja sure was pretty. And so much more afforable that the plan I've got now.

So, a poll. Whatch 'yall think?

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
Triple,

I just cannot vote for any of those choices.

1) You might brake even or little ahead on the EX250 - ZR7 exchange, but $11,000 plus much higher insurance on the Daytona. Maybe the g-friend/wife doesn't mind beans and rice 4 times a week.

2) The swap on the ZR7 for ZX6R - you'll be working on your daily ride when you just wanna go for a ride. Is it track ready or Street legal. Back and forth all the time!

3) If you gotta race, ya just gotta race! You're gonna look cool but might lose your mind 'cause ya just gotta race!

Just get the EX250, try the racing bit. And if you still have some money to burn get the ZR7 big bore kit (it will push out the Daytona lust a few months anyway).

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Get a moped... :laugh:

All kidding aside, I know that the need to get out on a race track is great. I'm glad I did it once. It was about 20 years ago at Ontario Motor Speedway.

Once you do get out on the track, be prepared to be lapped after about 4 laps. If I recall correctly, I got about 20th place out of 40 bikes. I though that was good.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, get it out of your system. Go to a track days with your ZR-7 and see if you like it. You may find that once is enough.

If you really like it and go often, then get a track bike.

Andy

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Will you just get it over with and but the damned 250 already?!?!?!?!

Look. Trade in the ZR, as much as it pains you. You're going to want a dedicated track bike. One you don't mind seeing go down the track - without you; get the picture?

You're going to make a little bit of cash on the ZR-for-250 Ninja trade. Don't go through the dealer. Sell your ZR privately and buy the little Ninja privately. Much better price for your bike, and much cheaper to buy the 250.

If you're going racing, you're going to need the extra money. No matter how much money you think you can "start off" with, double - no - TRIPLE (no pun intended) it.

If you buy the Ninja 6, you're going to not want to push on a track for fear of destroying your brand new shiny ride and DAILY DRIVER. Plus, (and I think this will hurt you mentally more), you're going to still want that Daytona. Ever since I joined this board back in July, all I've heard you say is "Daytona, Daytona, Daytona". Let me guess, you've got a Daytona Screen Saver or wallpaper, right? Thought so. :D

Save up for the Triumph. Make some extra cash on your ZR. Buy a used Ninja 250. Go racing.

Emrah

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
triple, don't you get it? al these hassles are fate's way of telling you to keep the zr-7 ;)

in all seriousness, i think some good points were made. why not sign up for an early season track day with your 7 and see how you like it. if it's definitely for you then get a 250 and go for it. buy a used one, there are plenty around cheap. no sense getting a track bike that needs 1000 miles of break in.

and yes, sell your bike privately. you should get a decent price in spring when everyone breaks out of their cabin fever.

if the tracks not for you then keep the 7 and save your pennies for the daytona.

just my $0.02

scott :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Take what Andy said, and what Emrah said, smash 'em together, and you've got the perfect reply.

Take the ZR-7 to the track a time or two and see if you like it. If you do, then you will definitely want separate bikes for the track and your daily ride. Bang the hell out of the former; dazzle and delight onlookers with the latter. :D

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
The new ZX6-R is in fact a 636cc. Ineligible for World Supersports but seemingly a much better road bike.

I think the 600cc prices will drop a bit when the used 636 ers hit the market in 6-12mths time, like 916/996 Ducs, 900/919 'blades etc.

I can't see myself taking a 250cc Ninja track racing tho'. Don't you guys have Suzuki RGV's over there? Doohan, Corser, Gobert etc were all Oz 250cc Production Racing champions on RGV's or TZR's. Those 2-strokes hammer and over here there are a zillion around the USD2000 mark. And they are much cheaper to repair if you miss a flat upshift :D

:)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm telling you, it's sad. Sad that this is what keeps me awake at night. I hate my job, my relationship is falling apart, but I lie in bed and think only about motorcycles.

Yeah, I think I'll boot the ZX6R choice. I was seriously contemplating it for a few days, but it has passed. The Daytona quickly filled the void back up.

I know I want to race. I can grind out the pegs and lift the rear tire off the ground of my ZR-7 on the street. I don't need to push it any farther on the track, and end up wiping myself out. I fully expect to get my *** kicked on the 250, but I will learn the basics with it. Get good on that, then I'll get something with some displacement.

titomike, the ZX6R over here in the states is still 600cc. They didn't bring the 636 here just so they could still legally race it. Also, RGV's are a pain in the *** to find over here. Believe me, I've been looking. And when you do find one, they are expensive as all hell. FZR400's are also good, light trackbikes, but it's hard to find one in good shape, as they've been out of production for so long (in the US, anyway).

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Triple said:
I hate my job, my relationship is falling apart, but I lie in bed and think only about motorcycles.
isn't that what motorcycles are for? it seems every time my relationshsip comes undone i get a new bike. job sucks? that's why you use your bike to commute. a 20 minute ride can erase a lot of that.

scott :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do what I did - keep the ZR-7S for commuting and buy a ZX-9R for real riding!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've given the ZX-9R some thought, but from what I've read and heard it's not much of a track bike. It's pretty much in the same league (performance-wise) as the Daytona, and because I can buy the 955i for the same price (through my super-secret source ;)) and because I like the looks of the Trumpet better, that will be my liter bike.

The big Kaw 9 sure is comfy, though. I spent a few minutes in the saddle of one while I was at the dealer, and it was a nice fit. It felt gargantuan after sitting on the EX250, though.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Looking cool is everything!

If racing is what you want to do, then buy an RC51. That is probably the purest racing bike on the market right now for the price. Plus, it is really fast!

If you just want to look cool then keep the ZR. :cool:

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
then buy an RC51. That is probably the purest racing bike on the market right now for the price

Phwoaaaa :rolleyes:

I am a huge Honda fan but the RC51/SP1 can't compare to an R1 or even the new 'blade, unless you fork out for the race-kit.

Check out the bike shops in Melbourne and there are a stack of low km used ones for sale. They are even discounting the new ones $3800 ( usd1900 ) on the showroom floors.

Unlike the old RC30/VFR , RC45/VFR situation, these RC51 are not a whole lot more exotic than the VTR1000/Firestorm on which they are based.

:)

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Oh well, Trip...from reading this thread I foresee another sleepness night for you! Get the 250, forget about everything else, and maybe you can build another hot Chevy or Buick in the near future. Forget about all the rest....Tom :D

·
3,610 Posts
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't jump in and buy a RC51 just quite yet. I think the best route is his original plan. BUT, I think you should save up enough dough so that you can get both your used EX250 and your new Daytona. Get a 250 that perhaps has a cracked fairing or some cosmetic damage, it'll save you a bundle. The key factor here is to get both the bikes around the same time.
My point being, once you sell your ZR and if you invest entirely into the 250, and start initially using it as your daily ride, then you'll probably start with the regrets. And then you know what happens, another thread gets started lol, should I ditch the 250 in favor of a 500 etc. etc......

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No RC51's for me. That would sort of defeat the purpose of what I want to do. The Honda is neither light-weight or inexpensive. It has more than 150 pounds of wet weight over the EX250, and probably too much power for me to use effectively on the track at my current skill level. I'm sure I could handle it for milder street riding, but pushing 120+ horsepower full tilt would probably crash me on the track. And I certainly wouldn't want to crash a $10,000+ race bike.

N

·
0 Posts
FWIW, my advice is if possible to rent a track bike from your local racing school, which you will need to attend anyway to get a racing license. After that, the way might become clearer. Also, while at the track you might see something with a "FOR SALE" sign on it, and save yourself a pile of dough, because bikes that have already been raced ain't worth $#!t. To get a bike race worthy even for just production class is another several thousand bucks. You'll need to put on racing bodywork, redo suspension on both ends, change bars, put in safety wire and catch bottles, change to worthy rubber, etc. Why not let someone else take the loss?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You make a good point, nemesis. However, there are two reasons that I won't buy a bike already race-prepped.

First, I like the work. Building machines is a love of mine, and I haven't successfully completed a project in a long time. This will be my first motorcycle build-up, but I can't see it being any more difficult than some of the cars I've put together. Being there for the transition, and experiencing the performance differences along the way, is half the fun.

Second, this 250 will not be an all-out race bike from the day I bring it home. For a few months, at least, the little Ninja will also serve as my daily ride, until I get a bigger bike. I need something that is also street legal. I realize that keeping a bike street legal will be forfeiting some track performance, but remember that I am still a novice. It will take a while for me to get good (well, maybe not that long ;)) on the track-- and when I do, I'll dump the street gear. By then I should have another street ride, anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts