RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with an entire shop of tools at my disposal, would you believe that last night I STILL didn't have the right Allen to get the front wheel off? I had intended to change my tires at the shop after work. No dice. So, I decided to do just the rear. I pulled the rear wheel off, but found out to my dismay that the manual tires changer we have (not the big hydro ones you use for car tires; it's tough to describe this one), the rim wouldn't fit on! Basically, you lay the tire on its side on a bench/base, a threaded metal bar goes through the hub and threads into the base, then another conical-shaped device fits on the bar and locks the wheel down. You then break the bead and pull the tire off manually with a couple of bars.

Anway, the wheel hub was too narrow a diameter. Basically, after fighting with the thing for an hour and a half (the whole bike), I decided to pack it up and take it to a shop. I have a great little shop here that did both tires for around $55 bucks. These guys are great.

However, getting the tires TO the place proved interesting. My work is about 30 or so miles from the motorcycle shop. Didn't want to take 2 trips in LA traffic (can you tell I hate LA traffic yet?) with my Jeep, pick up the tires, drop them off, go home, hop on the bike, etc.., I did what someone on this board suggested and WORE the tires around my waist!

Really, not as bad as you think. And your arms have a comfy little place to rest at stoplights! I looked like the Michelin Man (or Bridgestone Man in this case) with people shooting weird glances at me. I'm lucky no cops saw me, as I don't think it was quite legal. Anyway, whoever it was that suggested it, thanks. Worked beautifully!

Oh, I haven't ridden more than 5 miles on the things, so I can't tell you about performance or anything (I had the Dunlop D205's stock). I'll break em in and give an update.

Later,

Emrah

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey, I'm surprised you could ride the bike like that - I thought you would be two tired. OK OK I won't give up my day job.
Hope you like tho 020's though as I was planning to put on a set next time.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
When Emrah wasn't looking, this picture was taken. You know he sort of does look like the Michelin Man. :)

Andy

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, ok, enough shenannigans! There is NO WAY that's me and my bike. I mean look at the picture peple. I'd NEVER put that lower fairing on my bike!:D

Emrah

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update...

Well, I finally got a chance to ring out the tires today in the twisties. I've also been riding a few hundred miles on them, so I thought I'd post an update on how the BT020's are working out.

On the road, they are noticeably smoother-riding than the Dunlop D205's they replaced. There's less of a harshness to them. Also, on the highways (grooved, rutted, sectioned, stepped, broken, and otherwise entirely crappy) here outside of LA, they seemed to track a little more sure-footedly with less of a tendency for the front to wobble and follow the rain grooves. Much more comforting. In the twisties, they stuck fine. Of course, I'm no where near skilled enough to take these tires or the Dunlops to their traction limit, but they did feel a little bit stickier.

The best improvement though is how smoothly and easily the tires let you change direction. The bike "falls into" the turns much more easily, but you can make minor corrections, stand it up, lean more, etc. more more accurately.

In other words, I love these tires. Let's hope they last the almost 6000 miles the Dunlops did.

Emrah

·
Registered
148 Posts
tire tread life

It seems like Andy spend lots of time with Photoshop :)
About the tires, I have stock Bridgestons with close to 7000 miles since July and I should get another 7000 before replacement. Some time ago many people complained about fairing buzz on zr7-s. Two weeks ago my dealer replaced headlamp assembly under warranty and the buzz is completly gone. I consider getting extended warranty for another two years. Also, will be getting D&D slip-on Tuesday. My friend who has SV650 just got one and I could not resist any longer. I will try not to rev to high on my street. Living in South Texas is great for riding

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts