RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that this is a pretty old topic, but I couldn't find any past threads to help me. I haven't been online too much over the past few months, riding every chance I get!

I'm going for my 9,000 mile service and was talking to the service guys about how after installing the K&N air filter the dead spot around 2200 rpm practically disappeared, but now the off idle surging has gotten worse. He suggested a jet kit, saying that they are only around 90 $ and that I would notice a huge improvement in throttle smoothness. Has anyone done this yet?? Which jet kit?? I remember threads from the old "Garage" talking about different jet sizes, how they are measured, etc... So what's the general feeling on the whole thing?

Thanks

Matt

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
Yup Matt, that's one of the most common topics people ask about 'round here. :) There are three pre-packaged options that we're aware of: Holeshot, Dynojet and FactoryPro. Several of us have installed the Holeshot kit, and had good results. I have a guide to the install posted on the Maintenance page on ZR-7.com. Don't know of anyone who's installed the Dynojet kit. FactoryPro just released their kit last month, and used our buddy DesertWolf's bike to develop it. He's got some dyno numbers posted in the "Factory Pro" thread right here in this forum. You can also create your own kit from parts buy getting a K&N filter, larger main jets, and some 1mm washers to shim the needles. The install would be identical to the pre-packaged kits. Seems like the concensus is that there's 5-10 hp to be had with the installation of an aftermarket pipe and jet kit, as well as better throttle response. If you've got a race pipe, make sure you check out the "Exhaust Gas Reburn Removal" tips on the ZR-7.com Maintenance page if you want to get rid of the backfire on deceleration.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jarel,

I think I'm going to go with the Holeshot. No aftermarket pipe though, I just got through reading the forum in Motorcycle Consumer News and I've decided against it. I probably annoy enough people with how I drive, no reason to bother their ears also.

Matt

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
When I changed jets I went with a Dale Walker kit ........which consisted of 110 jets Kehin I could have got on the net and shims(brass washers) I could have got at radio shack. The jets had burrs on the openings which I took a tiny scraper and steel wool and polished the edges........I also did this to the shims. The 110's made it too rich so I eventually went back to the 108's but left the needles shimmed.
So this morning me and T-Rex installed a Dynojet jet kit in his 2002-7 and when I looked at the jets they were polished to a T....and there were no burrs on any of the openings. And sure enough when we looked at his stock jets ,Kehin, they had the same burrs on them.....poor quality control.
The directions called for him to use 104 dynojets ........hell they gave him 4 sets of jets.......and Dynojets sizes must be on with Kehin's because the Dyno's 104's were smaller than his stock 108's.........we both went ......Huh.....go figure. So after we got everything back together a carb sync was in order. That took about 5 mins then ..... T-rex was on his way with a down the street test ride. Wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear no problem was his comment.............so now my turn . The power did increase but I still can't get over how loud that Jardine can is.....wow...... I will post a pic of T-rex at work on his baby.....

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Oh yeah I was such a dumba$$ in looking at T-rex's neighbor floating around in his pool ....I forgot to snap a picture:slap: . She was hot................and I'll leave it at that:slap: . Must be nice to have a pool?................or neighbors:laugh: :laugh:..............like that.:headbang:

·
Maintenance Overlord
5,609 Posts
Nice Pics fade

Next time put the kids trikes aside otherwise Treker's going to say something.

Good looking bike. like my own blue zr7

gg at bkk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts