RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here repacked an Ixil muffler? How often would I need to do it? What're they filled with?

If it matters, I've got the oval can in stainless steel (Xtrem Inox, I think it's called).

·
Registered
734 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Ixil mufflers, but most motorcycle mufflers need to be repacked at some point. It all depends on how many miles are on it, and how hard the miles were. If it was put through mostly light riding, then you would not have to repack it often. But if it has been ridden hard most of the time, belting flames out the exhaust, you will have to repack it more often.

As for what they are filled with, it's actually a fiberglass material. If you feel like the exhaust is getting too loud for your liking you can usually get some packing material from any bike shop. All you have to do is drill out the rivets that connect the outer sleeve of the muffler to the ends and carefully pull the sleeve off. You will see what I am talking about with the material. Just remove the old stuff, wrap the new stuff around the core as directed on the packing material package, slide the sleeve back on, and re-rivet everything together

Here is a video to give you an idea. Keep in mind each muffler will come apart a little differently.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers.

I've repacked mufflers before (I've had a Micron and Yoshi on previous bikes) but for all my googling I haven't found any references to people repacking Ixils. I've heard they're packed with stainless like Staintunes, but the website doesn't confirm this and you'd think they'd mention it as a selling point if they are.

Anyway, I guess I'll let my ears be my guide before I go to town with the drill and rivet gun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts