RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
Information is not always impartial.

It is in any pipe makers interest to say no you do not need a power commander. See a PC add's $300 ish dollars to the cost if it is required, as well as maybe the cost of a DynoTune. It prices themselves above the competition, hurting their market share.

There is just not a way you can make drastic air flow changes in an engine, and not benefit from correcting the fueling to the air flow. Even a bone stock motorcycle benefits from proper fuel tuning.

I don't think there is anyway you can hurt the bike just slapping this exhaust on and not mapping it, but you also won't be getting the most out of the exhaust, or have your bike running as well as it possibly can.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yes, true about the mapping. I don't think I've ever seen a pipe that said, "a power commander" must be used. I think any machine can benefit from adding one.

I remember one of the magazines running an exhaust shoutout. They used a zx14. The slip one were all the same, give or take 2 hp. The same was true for full systems. I think the very top system was a whole 3 hp stronger than the weakest. That was at 170hp

If I did not have a system already, I'd be all over this one. Not for the low cost. I think the look, and design is where it's at.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Likely a dummy question, but does exhaust exiting the side in that position create any noise, heat, odor, or other issues for the rider or passenger? I mean, if that's a good idea, it seems like factories would do it to save cost and weight. I presume the can is a muffler no catalyst right?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Likely a dummy question, but does exhaust exiting the side in that position create any noise, heat, odor, or other issues for the rider or passenger? I mean, if that's a good idea, it seems like factories would do it to save cost and weight. I presume the can is a muffler no catalyst right?
Heat won't be an issue because of how low it exits, its nowhere near the rear footpegs. It might have a little more noticeable exhaust odor when stopped at a light for a while. My Buell has a similar exhaust and I can smell it at a light sometimes, but the damn air cooled engine gets so hot in the summer, I'll usually shut it off if i'm going to be sitting for a while. And yes, there is no catalytic converter on this pipe as it swaps out the stock headers.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I couldn't get the promo code to work online. I used the one from FZ09.org Supporting Vendors => Ixil USA => Ixil USA New Forum Sponsor; first post in thread. I entered it in the "Redeem a Gift Certificate or Coupon" box at checkout. Did I miss a trick?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I couldn't get the promo code to work online. I used the one from FZ09.org Supporting Vendors => Ixil USA => Ixil USA New Forum Sponsor; first post in thread. I entered it in the "Redeem a Gift Certificate or Coupon" box at checkout. Did I miss a trick?
I just tried it on their website again, and it didn't work. Sorry man :( Glad I got my order in before they disabled the code. $700 still is a pretty good price for a full exhaust though! And it gets free shipping.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I just pre-ordered one of the Ixil SX1 systems; they are projecting April delivery. Ixil is offering Rider Forum members 10% off while they are taking pre-orders, which makes the total $629.95 shipped, no tax. To get in on it, you need to order by telephone at 317-284-1348; ask for Mark. He was super helpful. The code from the other forum won't work for Kawasaki.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I like it. It might not be the best quality or best looking, but it gets rid of the side pipe and doesn't take up any more room than the factory box. I may just go this route.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just pre-ordered an SX1 as well for my 11 N1K. Talked to them through e-mail and asked for a discount code for the extra 10%. Also got my full system for $629.95 shipped. Can't beat that price!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would like to see IXIL post a dyno run so we can see a baseline of what type of performance the system offers. I like the idea of a centralized low center of gravity exhaust but I wonder what effect this system has on the N1K's highly valued (for an inline 4) torque characteristics. Quite a few exhaust manufacturers, including Akrapovic, provide a dyno run graph so that we have some idea of what we are getting. I guess we will all find out when one of you who have ordered it take it in for a dyno run and/or dyno tune.
I think it looks cool and I hope it works out. Mort

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately I probably won't be the first one to get my system installed since I'll be gone the entire month of April and won't be able to install it until after I return. But once I return I do plan on installing it, a PCV, and a K&N filter and get everything tuned by one of the shops in Tacoma, WA. So I'll definitely post up the graph and a video of the run once I get everything finished up probably around Mid-late May. I've been looking at picking up the full Akra and stumbled onto this and for the price I just couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I emailed ixil the other day to see if it comes with new exhaust gaskets. They said it doesn't come with them, but I should be able to use the old ones with no problems. Is that true, anybody reuse the exhaust gaskets before? Or should I order some new gaskets so I have them when the new pipes arrive?

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
You can reuse them, but one of mine was leaking. They squish down probably 1/8" from new to used. You might be ok, but I'd replace mine if I were to do it again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok, well hopefully this thing ships next week. As long as it isn't raining, I will be installing it the day it arrives. I'll be sure to update with photos!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys... look what I got in!! I've installed it already. Have to go pick up a plug for the o2 bung and unfortunately I won't be able to pick up my PCV for a little bit due to some other issues that popped up and ended up having to buy a plane ticket from WA to NC but still hoping once some extra money comes in to pick up a PCV and go get this thing tuned asap.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah it just looks dented how the light is hitting it. Thought the same thing at first when I looked at the picture and had to check it out in person, lol

41 - 60 of 69 Posts