RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have bought an Ixil SX1 full system exhaust for my 2013 Z100sx ninja and I am awaiting delivery. My questions is to any one with experience with this system.
1. Will it affect the normal throttle operation of the bike compared to stock. ( I am planning to run the DB killer)
2. Drilling the air box to match the 2014 models and above should only effect top end revs.
3. Is the ECU flash a good idea with this setup.
Hope to hear opinions soon :wink:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi, I have bought an Ixil SX1 full system exhaust for my 2013 Z100sx ninja and I am awaiting delivery. My questions is to any one with experience with this system.
1. Will it affect the normal throttle operation of the bike compared to stock. ( I am planning to run the DB killer)
2. Drilling the air box to match the 2014 models and above should only effect top end revs.
3. Is the ECU flash a good idea with this setup.
Hope to hear opinions soon :wink:
I have the Ixil SX1 full system on my N1K; it was one of the first they sold in the US. Overall, I like it. I do not feel much performance difference between it and the stock system, however who knows what a dyno run would say? Throttle operation is unchanged from stock. There are other advantages that are more important to me. It takes a lot of weight off of the bike, about 20 pounds, and that is a noticeable improvement. It gets rid of silly problems like not being able to mount spools on the rear. Maintaining anything in the rear is easier because it is more accessible. One downside is that with the outlet right off of the collector, deceleration popping is loud; avoiding it requires careful throttle management. I understand the Ivan re-flash addresses this issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also have this exhaust, I pre-ordered it and got it on the first shipment to the U.S. It is loud and sounds great! It doesn't have a noticeable effect on engine performance over stock from the exhaust alone. Doing that along with the airbox mod and a higher flow filter my give you 2-3 horsepower, but nothing too serious without getting it remapped. I haven't gotten the ECU flash yet, but I plan to next spring. It does backfire a lot on deceleration from removing the cat. There is a valve that allows fresh air into the exhaust on deceleration to help ignite unburnt fuel in order to keep the cat hot enough to work efficiently. There is a little hose that goes into the bottom right side of the airbox, which you can simply plug, and that will stop about 75% of the popping and quiet down any that still occur. The other option would be to buy the block off plate, and remove this valve entirely. Ivan's reflash should disable the valve though. I can't speak to the DB killer, because I have never put it in. I love the deep throaty sound of the exhaust without it :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$_20[2].jpg Thanks for the replies, I am doing it mostly for weight and convenience but I am a bit worried about the noise and decal popping. My local dyno guy says he can flash the ecu and get good gains, he is a bit expensive but I have used him previously with good results. I will let you know.

·
Registered
429 Posts
View attachment 97058 Thanks for the replies, I am doing it mostly for weight and convenience but I am a bit worried about the noise and decal popping. My local dyno guy says he can flash the ecu and get good gains, he is a bit expensive but I have used him previously with good results. I will let you know.
I would go with Ivan's reflash because it's something that is tested and proven. I would not worry about noise. I don't think the Ixil is particularly loud compared to other aftermarket systems. It simply sounds good; very good!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
the learning curve

Well the system has arrived and been fitted, the lower right metal exhaust guard can't be fitted with this system but I like that. the weight loss is approximately 10Kg which is a lot and I still have the exhaust servo motor to remove. I rode 2 days putting up with decel popping and every now and then a bang out the back. I blocked of the air valve(both sides) under the air box and that has reduced it significantly. I have an appointment on the 1 november to flash and dyno tune with woolich's software. I will let you see the dyno charts when that's done. I still have an occasional bang but I assume the Fuel cut is the culprit.

Photo100.jpg Photo101.jpg Photo102.jpg

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
I have to say that system looks amazing on this bike. Ive not seen it put up great dyno numbers, but based on price and looks, Im not sure I care.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just had the Woolich ecu flash and all decal popping and banging seems to be gone. The low end urge is back and I can not wait to put it on the dyno on 1 November. Let you know how it goes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I had the dyno mapping done today and here is the result. The base run is with the IXIL pipe, K&N filter, Woolich flash, both runs with 95 fuel. The stock run for a 2013 seems to be around 120hp and 71ftlbs of torque. I have removed the airbox resonator as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I had the dyno mapping done today and here is the result. The base run is with the IXIL pipe, K&N filter, Woolich flash, both runs with 95 fuel. The stock run for a 2013 seems to be around 120hp and 71ftlbs of torque. I have removed the airbox resonator as well. I have had a small 20klm run and it is smoother and cleaner on the throttle, so 132hp and 76ft/lb of torque plus a 10kg weight is a significant improvement. Now for the wilbers shock I am waiting on.
P.S. the sport DB killer was in

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well I had the dyno mapping done today and here is the result. The base run is with the IXIL pipe, K&N filter, Woolich flash, both runs with 95 fuel. The stock run for a 2013 seems to be around 120hp and 71ftlbs of torque. I have removed the airbox resonator as well. I have had a small 20klm run and it is smoother and cleaner on the throttle, so 132hp and 76Nm of torque plus a 10kg weight is a significant improvement. Now for the wilbers shock I am waiting on.
P.S. the sport DB killer was in
That high octane fuel is probably hurting your power some. You dont need 95 octane unless you have headwork done and are running high compression. Otherwise you are just lowering your numbers.

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
That high octane fuel is probably hurting your power some. You dont need 95 octane unless you have headwork done and are running high compression. Otherwise you are just lowering your numbers.
Octane ratings vary geographically based on the standard they use to calculate it. 95 in AU is probably like mid-grade in the US.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Interesting to see the figures, I have a full akra system, always run 98 RON and have had two dyno runs on different dynos and different days for 142 and 139. I also have two mates with Wilbers in theirs and it, just like my Ohlins, is a huge improvement

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Octane ratings vary geographically based on the standard they use to calculate it. 95 in AU is probably like mid-grade in the US.
Where is this data coming from? You just blurting out more BS??? Octane ratings are an exact science and should be treated as such. 95 RON equates to 91 in the US. Here are the numbers.

USA (AKI/PON) --- Europe (RON)

87 = 91
89 = 93
91 = 95
93 = 98

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to know, I will give an update after I get the Wilbers and try it. Thanks for the info on fuels.

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
Where is this data coming from? You just blurting out more BS??? Octane ratings are an exact science and should be treated as such. 95 RON equates to 91 in the US. Here are the numbers.

USA (AKI/PON) --- Europe (RON)

87 = 91
89 = 93
91 = 95
93 = 98
8 year olds...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just did a 4500klm trip on the east coast of Oz and average 19klm per liter with a worst of 16klm per liter. The fueling was excellent and I love the note with the sport DB killer. The bike makes a bit more top end with it out but it is to loud for me and I like to ride the torque curve in the hills. All in all, I am pretty happy with the pipe and tune. I am still trying to get the Wilbers shock fixed, I did not use it on the trip. I will update if anything changes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sold the Wilbers, just could not dial out the harshness , this is the second new wilbers I have bought over the last 8 years and spent $2400 buying and trying to fix them, and I can only say buy an Ohlin's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have this exhaust, I pre-ordered it and got it on the first shipment to the U.S. It is loud and sounds great! It doesn't have a noticeable effect on engine performance over stock from the exhaust alone. Doing that along with the airbox mod and a higher flow filter my give you 2-3 horsepower, but nothing too serious without getting it remapped. I haven't gotten the ECU flash yet, but I plan to next spring. It does backfire a lot on deceleration from removing the cat. There is a valve that allows fresh air into the exhaust on deceleration to help ignite unburnt fuel in order to keep the cat hot enough to work efficiently. There is a little hose that goes into the bottom right side of the airbox, which you can simply plug, and that will stop about 75% of the popping and quiet down any that still occur. The other option would be to buy the block off plate, and remove this valve entirely. Ivan's reflash should disable the valve though. I can't speak to the DB killer, because I have never put it in. I love the deep throaty sound of the exhaust without it :)
I just got the sx1 full exhaust and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the DB killer out of it. I noticed all you guys said when you got your exhaust the db kilkers weent installed in them but for some reason mine was. I noticed a rubber plug on the bottom for the muffler tip and I pulled it out but there's no screw there's a whole that I can see through that looks like a screw was supposed to be in there but isn't i can literally sick a alken wrench through the bottom of the muffler and into the tip of the DB killer. I have pulled on it even tried to pay it and it doesn't move anyone have any ideas on how to get it out or if I'm the only one in America that got the one exhaust that came with DB kilkers pre installed and not able to come out kinda seems like my luck with this company it took three weeks to get the exhaust came dumped in the box only raped a little with bubble rap noticed everyone else's came with the muffler in its own box inside the main box plus the header was off by a couple cemetery so I also had to get a friend to pull one side while I pulled the other just to get it on

1 - 20 of 22 Posts