RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went and did it - bought a new 2010 Z1000 after logging nearly 10,000 miles on the 650r...

I love the Z1000 (except for a loose rattling vibration issue thingy that will hopefully be corrected tomorrow) what can I say - at lower rpm's it is wonderfully smooth and handles like a dream.. Bike also has all the power I'd want, I can see that..

However I anticipated wanting to sell my 650r once I got the Z1000 and this has not been the case - the 650r is more comfortable and lacks the higher-rpm vibration that apparently is inherent to all large cc inline-4 sportbikes.. The 650r is outclassed overall, but for the fun factor, the comfort, and that twin engine character/sound/feel, I'd love to keep it around!

Told my buddy I'd sell him the 650r though and really could use the money so I'll probably have to let it go..

Is this a happy story or a sad story? I'm not exactly sure - definitely thrilled about the Z1000, but I realize how attached I am to that 650r as well..

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
congrats on the move-up. hope you can tweak the new z to your liking.

i'm enamoured of yamaha's fz1, but i nearly forget about it when i hit the road on the 650.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Congrats on a great bike.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I'm confused... I would thing the inline-4 would be smoother than the twin. That's not the case?
Every bike can have some type of vibration at different RPMs. Smooth is such a relative term when it comes to engines. What really matters is does that vibration cause you to go numb in the fingers and toes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My BKing has no engine vibration whatsoever... I didnt think any sport bike could vibrate more than the ER6. My new bike is so much more comfortable than the ER6 was... much smoother, quieter and the transmission is so much nicer to shift, there is no comparison there.

65 MPH comfortably in 3rd gear

Insane power

Ultra smooth ride

You cant beat a liter bike... just dont sneeze, or the front end is floating.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
My BKing has no engine vibration whatsoever... I didnt think any sport bike could vibrate more than the ER6. My new bike is so much more comfortable than the ER6 was... much smoother, quieter and the transmission is so much nicer to shift, there is no comparison there.

65 MPH comfortably in 3rd gear

Insane power

Ultra smooth ride

You cant beat a liter bike... just dont sneeze, or the front end is floating.
Have you had it all the way to red line yet?

I am sure there is vibration. In I-4 bikes the vibration tends to be high frequency. It just might not be discernable to you because you are transitioning from the 650.

I personally don't notice vibration in the 650R, but I also ride a KLR650 that has more vibes than the Ninja.

I read the journalists reviews of V twin cruisers and they talk about how smooth they are and everyone knows V twin cruisers have low frequency vibration.

·
Registered
257 Posts
No red line.

It has 40 miles

And I dont want to die

Compared to the ER6, it has no vibes... that thing is a jackhammer, I still have it in my garage and got it out the other day, couldnt go back, it feels... "cheap"

Definately not missing the clunky tranny

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
No red line.

It has 40 miles

And I dont want to die

Compared to the ER6, it has no vibes... that thing is a jackhammer, I still have it in my garage and got it out the other day, couldnt go back, it feels... "cheap"
OK. So you haven't experienced the full RPM range yet, so you really can't say if it has any vibration yet or not. The OP was talking about higher RPM vibration.

Of course on a bike that size you may never experience the higher RPMs unless you go to the track or keep it in 1st and 2nd gear. :killingme

·
Banned
679 Posts
Is this a happy story or a sad story? I'm not exactly sure - definitely thrilled about the Z1000, but I realize how attached I am to that 650r as well..
Gratz buddy, a little cognitive dissonance when moving to a new bike is expected considering how attached most of us are to our bikes. But at the end of the day, it's a new bike!!!!! Enjoy it.

Didnt feel like waiting for the ninja 1000 to drop in price? I feel like that could have been an easier transition, looks P.I.M.P too. Personally I'll b moving to a 4 cycliner 600 when the day comes

Btw, where r the pics?!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yea the vibration I speak of is above 5-6k or so - at lower rpm the engine is smooth as silk, no vibration at all - and really, I could shift out of the lower gears before 5-6k and still have heaps of power and smooth acceleration - but I like to run the rpm up for the really exciting speed here and there.. It's just quite an event when the engine opens up at about 7k and the thing howls and starts the high frequency vibration - makes a sort of deep "VOOOOOOOO" sound... I love the sound but could do without the vibration, though I'm sure I'll get used to it and hopefully come to like it..

The vibration is very high frequency - not bad, just something I'm not used to - the company write up says they designed it in there on purpose because it adds to the sensation of speed and exhilaration, along with the tuned intake howl...

But no, I don't want the new Ninja 1000 - I like the naked bikes better now - been riding my 650r around with no windshield for months and I think it's way more fun and the air stream is smooth - there's no buffeting.. After a bit the neck muscles get strong and now sailing down the freeway at 90mph indicated is no issue at all..

The power on the Z1000 is certainly prodigious, I can feel that even though I haven't really goosed it above 7-8k(where the serious power is) - but it's a manageable bike if you're easy with the throttle - it's very docile and easy to work with if you don't get grabby on the throttle.. I've heard the Hayabusa is like this too - lower rpm's and conservative throttle application yield a very docile and smooth ride..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Congrats man, the Z1000 is a beautiful bike. I havent had a chance to ride one - would love to. I remember how comfy it felt when I had a chance to sit on one. All bike vibrate. My Triumph Sprint which has the in-line triple that is supposed to be really smooth virbrates at certain RPM's as well. Once you get used to all that power, you will love it.
I sold my 650R to a kid who dumped the bike the following day. I still wish I had kept it, its a great bike. I was genuinely sad to see it go.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea I'm getting used to the vibration - had the dealer mechanic tighten the engine down and it seems better - it actually feels pretty cool, I'm just not used to it.. Down low rpm though the bike is much smoother than the 650r...

The power is great as you mention Steelrider - I wouldn't say I've been going any faster or accelerating much harder than I was on my 650r (part of this is break in period, part of this is ticket avoidance), but what the Z1000 does do is accelerate much more effortlessly - the power is in abundance such that a more gentle roll on of the throttle produces the sort of go that would require a big twist and a lot of engine screaming with the 650r..

The Z1000 is geared pretty short though - 3rd gear at 45mph is 4k rpm - on the 650r 3rd gear at 45mph is like 5k rpm - so I'm shifting almost as much as the 650r which I actually like.. But you don't really need to - could probably just shift from 1st to 6th and ride around like that..

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
the power is in abundance such that a more gentle roll on of the throttle produces the sort of go that would require a big twist and a lot of engine screaming with the 650r..
That's the same feeling I had the day I bought my new 650R after riding my 250R for 2 years!

I wonder if new sprockets would smooth things out more.

BTW I saw a Z1000 today at the local stealership and they wanted MSRP OTD. So no real sales on them here... yet.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea my dealer told me there wasn't gonna likely be any sales on them either since Kawasaki made very few of them, and many dealerships have sold out of them (not that many people are buying them, just that the few they had got bought).. Kawi does have a $800 rebate on the 2010's now though, which is a nice chunk of change - and a rebate usually means there's overstock..

The 2011's are coming in any time though so there will be more if the 201's sell out.. I wonder though, with the new Ninja 1000 and the new ZX-10, how well the 2011 Z1000 will sell?

I liked the black/silver scheme better than the black/black or black/green of the 2011 anyway though... The green/black looks sick but it's too loud for me to wanna ride around on it all the time like that - I like the black/silver - overstated styling, understated color :p

I love the intake sound, and actually like that the bike isn't that loud overall - I'm not sure I want to get an aftermarket exhaust on this bike.. Am gonna get the fender eliminator though..

·
Registered
257 Posts
YES the FE... and I agree, man I REALLY like riding a quiet bike that will tear basically anyone else up! ;)

I mean, you dont need a perf. part, I think you have plenty of perf. to kill yourself ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I want me a Ninja 1000 eventually but I'm perfectly happy on the 650 for now. Maybe I can scoop one up in a couple years cheap.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts