RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my ZR7 for about 15 years now and have thoroughly enjoyed, but I am feeling the need to 'modernise'. I have the opportunity for a fairly new very low mileage Aprilia Shiver 900 at a ridiculously low price.
I really like the look of the Shiver and the prospect of a new bike does excite me, but the complexity and electronics are slightly off-putting. I have the money in the bank and summer is coming.
I am still questioning whether I should or shouldn't,

·
Registered
400 Posts
I own a ' 91 Zephyr 750, and also Suzuki '16 GSX-S1000....had also a Yamaha FZ-09 before.

The 30 year old Kawasaki is the easiest to ride, the most user-friendly, the most comfortable, and by far.....the simplest. Feel I can take apart in one weekend, and put it together the next one. I dread the day somethings goes bad in the 'new' bike.....sensors, hoses, wires, plastic covers galore. Would be saying the same for a 30 year old Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki as I had '80s Yamaha that also remember fondly.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
If you have a ability to keep both, do so. I bought an ST1300 last year, but still have the ZR7S. You may buy and find the Shiver isn't what you wanted or just doesn't fit the bill. If so you have a fall back to the ZR and can offload the Shiver.
Now will the new fangled gadgetry on the Shiver make it harder to work on? No, not really, just different. It's still either mechanical or electrical - just like the ZR mostly (just more of the mechanical stuff is controlled or monitored via electronics on a new bike)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have my ZR7 for about 15 years now and have thoroughly enjoyed, but I am feeling the need to 'modernise'. I have the opportunity for a fairly new very low mileage Aprilia Shiver 900 at a ridiculously low price.
I really like the look of the Shiver and the prospect of a new bike does excite me, but the complexity and electronics are slightly off-putting. I have the money in the bank and summer is coming.
I am still questioning whether I should or shouldn't,
I sold my Ninja 650 and bought a 2014 Shiver 750 ABS. I have had it for about two years+ now. The only problem I have had so far is the regulator/rectifier died, and they are expensive - however, I bought a cheap Chinese one from Ebay with the same plugs and no probs for the last 18 months.

The Shiver is a V-twin, sounds beautiful, has close to 100bhp, handles very well and looks great. I bought my first Ducati in 1975, when nobody knew how to even pronounce the word...now every man and his dog has a Duke (no...not KTM)...When I bought my Aprilia 1000 Falco many years ago, even Duke riders were admiring my bike.

Within the last 7 years I have bought a new Ninja 250 and loved that little scoot, and the 2014 Ninja 650 - I liked it, but I couldn't walk into the garage and look at it and say that I loved it...and let's face it, for some of us, motorcycles are a very emotional thing.

If you want a bike that sets you apart from the mainstream, and one that performs, handles and looks the part, and will put a smile on your dial every time you ride it....buy it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts