RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 ninja 650 without ABS. I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade it? Has anyone done it or know anything about it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Never heard of it being done. But anything I guess is possible given an unlimited budget. Most abs models range from 600-1000 on new bikes. I can't imagine the cost of doing it yourself and adding all those parts. Rotors, sensors, ABS module, lines, and the ECU probably needs tweaks as well. I would let this go. It probably be cheaper and easier to trade for one that had it, assuming you need it that bad.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
If you have to ask I'd say if you want ABS buy a bike with ABS on it. Brakes aren't something you really want to mess with.

Now, if they made an ABS model of your bike the same year, you should be able to swap parts, but it may mean not just brake hardware, but wiring harness and electronics etc.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you look at the wiring diagram alone it will be enough to put you off. On top of that there’s hardware like brake discs, even the fork legs and rear brake bracket are different. The only way to do this easily would be to have a whole wrecked bike next to you so you can refer and pinch parts from otherwise, sell it and get one with it on already.

·
Registered
412 Posts
..................Most everything is possible if thrown enough money, time, and resources, but does not mean is practical.....in this case is not even worth the complication, and what you gain is hardly anything..unless you ride on snow ....and yes, I do own an old bike w/out ABS and a new one with ABS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies. I did more research and I completely agree that the best way to do it would be to have a salvage bike to pull the parts from. If I happen to find one in my area for a reasonable price I might just do it, but I don't find many 2012-2016 ABS wrecked in my state, let alone local, so this idea is probably dead in the water. It seemed time consuming but doable until I got to all the hardware for the brake lines and the lines themselves. They are really costly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I did more research and I completely agree that the best way to do it would be to have a salvage bike to pull the parts from. If I happen to find one in my area for a reasonable price I might just do it, but I don't find many 2012-2016 ABS wrecked in my state, let alone local, so this idea is probably dead in the water. It seemed time consuming but doable until I got to all the hardware for the brake lines and the lines themselves. They are really costly.
Even if you found one for a 100 bucks, the amount of work would be insane to do on a brand new bike. It just doesn't make sense. And I would assume that even after all the work is done you probably still have to take it to a dealer and have tweaks to your ECU. Like ER6Guy said, the wiring alone would be a nightmare. Why anyone would attempt to tackle this on a brand new bike... Just the idea of swapping out fork legs for used ones from a salvage bike is daunting.

I've never ridden a Ninja 650 with ABS. But I've had it on other bikes, sometimes its not always what its cracked up to be. It was Ok on my Bandit 1250, but horrible on my VFR800. It's really just one of those things that kinda prevents you from locking the front tire in a panic stop. But in my opinion may hurt the rider in the future for lack of learning the "feel" of the brakes. ABS has a tendency to make the brakes feel spongy. We've been without ABS for almost a century. I'm not saying its worthless, just that its one of those added gadgets like traction control. Both of which, I would never dream of adding to a brand new bike.

Anyways, welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even if you found one for a 100 bucks, the amount of work would be insane to do on a brand new bike. It just doesn't make sense. And I would assume that even after all the work is done you probably still have to take it to a dealer and have tweaks to your ECU. Like ER6Guy said, the wiring alone would be a nightmare. Why anyone would attempt to tackle this on a brand new bike... Just the idea of swapping out fork legs for used ones from a salvage bike is daunting.

I've never ridden a Ninja 650 with ABS. But I've had it on other bikes, sometimes its not always what its cracked up to be. It was Ok on my Bandit 1250, but horrible on my VFR800. It's really just one of those things that kinda prevents you from locking the front tire in a panic stop. But in my opinion may hurt the rider in the future for lack of learning the "feel" of the brakes. ABS has a tendency to make the brakes feel spongy. We've been without ABS for almost a century. I'm not saying its worthless, just that its one of those added gadgets like traction control. Both of which, I would never dream of adding to a brand new bike.

Anyways, welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride.
I agree its a lot of work for marginal reward. It will be difficult for me to find a wrecked one local so I will probably never do it. I will say that the wiring is probably the least daunting part to me. Directly swapping the wiring harness and having the wiring diagram and pictures of the routing make it the most plug and play part. My fiance is my mechanic and we work on our project bikes together. We once got a cafe racered 1986 vt1100 with only a partial wiring harness. My fiance was able to run new wire and wire up the entire bike using the wiring diagram. By comparison the ninja sounds easy, just matching up plugs really. The worst part of the whole thing is not knowing if the ECU will work after its all done. I looked at buying 2nd hand ECUs and none of them specifcy ABS so I have to assume it doesn't matter.

for the record, its not a brand new bike. As stated, its a 2012, and not a mint one at that. Its on its 3rd motor and has been used and abused badly by previous owners and wrecked at least twice. I got it for cheap and I have almost finished making it like new again. But the reality of it is that its not new, its a cheap abused bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked at this for someone previously - The ABS system on my 2010 is wired completely independent of the engine ECU; Its a standalone system.
Yeah I noticed that when looking at the wiring diagram the other day. Do you know if your forks are different? I imagine there has to be extra screw holes for the abs sensor disks.

All and all it seems very possible to do but would be worlds easier pulling directly from a wrecked bike instead of having to order every individual screw.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Google images and itll show non ABS and ABS forks are a little different.
The wheels are the same the ABS ring is riveted to the disc.
Google "kawasaki forums adding-abs-to-a-ninja-650r-er6n" this has been looked at before ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts