RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo people,

My name is Jelte, 22 years old and living in the Netherlands. Still a student, got my bachelor of (industrial) engineering 1,5 year ago, and i'm currently busy with my master degree (Msc) in organization studies. Loads of experience with mopeds, scooters and dirtbikes and started driving bikes in 2009 on a ducati monster dark 620 i.e. (restricted @ 25kw) yeaah I know.....At my fathers place a ducati virus has been developed. We imported bikes from the UK so i have driven a lot of different bikes. I did not personally own these bikes, but I enjoyed to take them for a ride.
To name a few: Monster 620, 900, s2r, s4r & s4rs (fully tuned and driven by dad + girlfriend), 748, 748R, 749(S), 848 (my dad has 2 track bikes) Hypermotard, 999 and 1098. Further more some XB12's, R6, R1, zx6r, zx10r, KTM's, Husqies, and the most special one that I do personally own: a NSU super lux 200 1957 2-stroke. Nothing special but this is the first bike I drove as an little boy (7/8 years old) so it has value in my eyes.

However, at the moment I have a z750 06 model, with a ton of mods.
- carbon Cobra exhaust
- PC3
- Ohlins shock
- tail raiser
- led lights all around
- small pinkers
- xenon
- rizoma handle bar
- unknown bar end mirrors
- rizoma food pegs
- pazzo levers
- z1000 front end
- z1000 front brakes
- steel brake lines
- carbon frame covers
- license plate mod
- seat cover

img0656oh.jpg

This is pretty much how I bought the bike except for the lights. I'm waiting on my parts to arrive so i can continue with maintenance + a new chain & sprockets. I ordered 15:45, so +2 in the back. I'm very interested in the different sprocket ratio. What are you guys experiences with different sprocket ratios?

I still have some questions, and that is why is registered on this forum. To start of: the air box mod.
Is it useful to do this since I have a PC3+slip on? I expected to have an K&N filter but this was not the case, i still have the original...pretty stupid if you ask me considering the PC3. Since i'm a student with not much € and $, i cannot afford to do a dyno session so i want to keep the original filter and do the air box mod.

I hope its a clear story and thanks in advance for your welcomes and answers.

Cheers
Jelte

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I serviced my calipers. Nothing noteworthy, although the pistons were pretty dirty. Tomorrow I will try to bleed them and to make sure that all the air is out....are there any suggestions on how to do this. Or any tips and don'ts?
IMG_1532[1].jpg
IMG_1533[1].jpg

I also drained the cooling system and inspected the water pump, because their were some metal chips in the coolant. But this was also in good condition.
Furthermore I changed my tires, I went from pilot road 2 2ct to pirelli diablo rosso corsa. This are former track tires from my dad's 848 with plenty of rubber on top, so i am interested to find out how these tires handle.
IMG_1527[1].jpg

The last thing I did was disconnecting all connectors and spraying them with ..... electric-spray...., and indeed some of fuses and relays were pretty corroded (rusty). Especially the relay for the starter, were the 30A fuse is located. And since my horn and high beam signal didn't worked I opened up the plastic housing which is located at the left side of the handle bar and inspected/cleaned/sprayed it. Nothing to see, so there is hope. Next step would be measuring the buttons and wires. Hopefully tomorrow my oil filter and chain & sprockets arrive so I can build up my bike again.
IMG_1526[1].jpg

See yah

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very nice, sir. You're gonna fit right in here!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I finished maintenance on the bike, and I have some remarks and questions for you guys!
I ordered 15:45 sprockets with a new DID chain (112 links), sadly the chain did not fit and I had to go buy another chain connector link (hows it called) and had to use an old link from my old chain.

I have nissin z1000 calipers, and i believe that my master cylinder is a nissin from an older zx6r model. But after several attempts my pressure is not where i want it to be. I have bleeded my system traditionally, then couple times with a vacuum system and I bleeded the banjo bolt of the master cylinder. I also zip tied the lever to the handle bar for a night but this did not helped. Are there any other methods that i can apply? I'm not a total noob but I would like you to think along!

I have read that stock Kawasaki master cylinders are not that good and replacing them is a sweet mod. So my question is how to improve my pressure without buying a new master cylinder. And if another master cylinder is needed, what type and brand would you recommend?

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing, as posted in an earlier message, is that my horn and high beam signal flash button thing (lolz) still don't work. I opened up the plastic box on the left side of the handle bar but nothing so see here. Is this a familiar problem and are there easy fixes? I will check the wires next week or so. The weather is pretty ****ty here but my dad is using the garage as a kitchen at the moment, due to construction......

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome Jelte!

For brake bleeding, keep the system closed at this point. Cover the fuel tank to keep brake fluid off. Dismount the master cylinder (mc) and remove the reservoir cover. Orient the mc so that the line, banjo bolt, mc piston, and orfice to the reservoir are all angling upward. The point is to get the air to rise to the top an out into the reservoir. While holding the mc, gently actuate the lever - just enough to get the mc piston to move. Do not worry about building pressure. Do this lever movement while observing for at least one small bubble to appear through the orfice in the mc reservoir. Tap the lines as needed. Continue until the last of the air is out. It won't take too long.

I've been using this technique since 1981, and even worked on my 2K8Z1K radial mc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your comment, i will try this tonight.
I also found this advice to disassemble the whole brake system and to bleed them horizontally on a table.
Then placing the calipers just above the MC so that the are will travel towards the bleeding nipple on the caliper. I will let you guys know how it will resolve......hopefully!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Really nice bike man! I'm super jealous of your shop too haha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really nice bike man! I'm super jealous of your shop too haha
Yeah I know :D It sweet to work here. My dad bought this house just 3 months ago so the "shop" is totally new.
However, I must say that the garage is bigger than the living room!!! And at the moment of the photo it was pretty crowded: a Z750, a R6, 2x 848 and 2x S4R(s) and an old Magna 750 in the yard. Next to that the kitchen is being renovated at the moment, so the garage also functions as a temporary kitchen!

But enough BS, coming back to my brake pressure problem: I have tried almost anything now and still I'm not fully satisfied. When I arrived at my dad's he already dismounted the system (because I told him of the horizontal bleeding by phone). I tried the tip from Motocopter but this did not helped a thing (sorry bro!), no air bubbles were found or seen. However, this was done away from the bike, so the MC was put in the bench vise with everything pointing up (lever down), the calipers were on an oil can (to make sure that they were above the MC, and that any air would travel towards the bleeding nipples on the calipers) and then pulling the lever a bit and tapping the brakes lines.....no improvement after re-bleeding.

Then we placed a chair on the work platform with the MC clamped on the upper side, the break lines going straight down followed by the first caliper. Then we shifted the banjo bolt for the 2nd caliper 180 degrees, so that the caliper could be located under the other caliper (right one). In this way the whole system is a straight line.
We tried to bleed this with the vacuum system, 3 or 4 times and then mounted everything back on the bike. Still a bit frustrated I convinced my dad to try a manual bleed attempt, and suddenly from the left caliper a few tiny air bubbles appeared. We tried this a couple more times, left and right, and after a few attempts we titled it as......as best as it can get.....so are there any other million dollar answers?

Good night!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts