RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soupys lowering link as low as it go & seems stock height still. Measured almost 33" seat height with me not on it..
dealer didnt lower front. They didnt want to afraid front fender hit top.
I need the bike lower i am on the top of my tippy toes.
Anyone know any products that work?
Any performance shops in dutchess county area? That can help me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would measure from the tail to the ground before and after. Shock is in the middle close to the seat so I bet until you lower the front you wont see much difference. You can lower the front but just like the dealer said there may be issues w fender clearance. Id increase the spring preload to help too. ALso and you may or man not know you cant lower your handle bars more than about 5 mm.

·
Registered
336 Posts
spring preload is only gonna stiffen up your front to help prevent bottoming out if you lower your front too. 1/3 of a in shorter doesnt seem like its gonna do much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I lowered my 1000 Ninja front and rear 1.2 inches using a Roaring Toys rear lowering link, which will go lower if needed. In front I slid the forks up 1.2" then had the bar mounts machined so they would sit flat on the upper tripple clamp. My seat is now 31.5 off the ground. I have an extra rear lowering link. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Soupy's links are turn buckle style adjustable, right? The longer you make it the lower it goes. Are you sure you have turned it the right way?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Soupy's links are turn buckle style adjustable, right? The longer you make it the lower it goes. Are you sure you have turned it the right way?
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... longer links = lower bike. If your links are shorter, then they RAISED the rear!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i went to store to get wrenchs. Didnt think about it package went to 17mm but its too small i need 18mm. I got to get right wrench & try in morning. Dealer installed for me. I went looked at intructions for lowering link & it doesnt say which way lowers bike but kind of implies longer lowers.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I agree, I have the same link and have lowered the seat height a full 2". I finally set it at 1.5"
I slid the front tubes up about 10mm. Mt seat height is 30.25" with Soupey's link.
You must be going the wrong way because I could even go a little lower than that??

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, I have the same link and have lowered the seat height a full 2". I finally set it at 1.5"
I slid the front tubes up about 10mm. Mt seat height is 3.25" with Soupey's link.
You must be going the wrong way because I could even go a little lower than that??
& u lowered by making lowering link longer?

·
Registered
504 Posts
& u lowered by making lowering link longer?
YES. You have to be careful not to go too far so the threads are still well into the sockets. The directions tell you how far based on an eye to eye measurment.
Don't feel bad I went the wrong way at first. It's backward thinking.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YES. You have to be careful not to go too far so the threads are still well into the sockets. The directions tell you how far based on an eye to eye measurment.
Don't feel bad I went the wrong way at first. It's backward thinking.
Yeah. LoL.
dealer installed & i never thought longer would be shorter to check directions lol.
Just have to see how low i need to go to get feet on ground comfortably

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yeah. LoL.
dealer installed & i never thought longer would be shorter to check directions lol.
Just have to see how low i need to go to get feet on ground comfortably
Take a measurement at a fixed point off the license plate before you start. Make note of that number in case you want to get back to the stock height. If you take the plate down 2 1/2 " that's about 2" at the seat.
The problem is I scrape the peg feelers a lot more than in the stock height.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks for all the help. Going to take to dealer tomorrow have them fix & lower front a lil too.
Then when you get home you will have to file the front stop point for the side stand. You won't be able to park your bike with the stock stand position.
I used a right angle grinder with a thin wheel, a file will suffice. I removed a little at a time and tested the stand until I was happy with the bike's angle.
The bonus is the stand is now more forward and kind of locked into place making it more difficult for roll off. I finished up with a file to square up the contact spot.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i bought adj kickstand for ninja 1000 on ebay. Dealer just had to drill center out a lil to fit he said
can get link if anyone wants. Was T-Rex
Then when you get home you will have to file the front stop point for the side stand. You won't be able to park your bike with the stock stand position.
I used a right angle grinder with a thin wheel, a file will suffice. I removed a little at a time and tested the stand until I was happy with the bike's angle.
The bonus is the stand is now more forward and kind of locked into place making it more difficult for roll off. I finished up with a file to square up the contact spot.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why you going to the dealer, sounds to me that it would do you some good to getty your hands dirty and do this yourself.
Because I am 2 and a half hours from my house where I keep my tools and the dealer did it for free while I went and got breakfast LoL
They lowered the front and lowered the rear till I could get the balls of my feet comfortably on the ground and I felt good.. Bike is safely drivable now.

Soupy's Lowering Link

T-Rex Adjustable KickStand

1 - 20 of 27 Posts