RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2022 Ninja 650, and knowing how lean modern bikes are running, I'd like to fatten the fuel system slightly. Just personal preference.

I used to have a Z650RS, and I used the Booster Plug, and I was very happy with it. Booster Plug won't give me a part number because they don't want me using it on this bike, but my Z650 had the same engine, and It worked great.

Does anyone know the correct part number for a Ninja 650 (2022), or do you have any recommendations for what I'm looking for? I really would not go through the hassle and money for a Dynojet unless I have no other alternatives.

I also saw an ad for an O2 eliminator that states it adds about 3% fuel, which I like.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you!
Brian
Tucson, AZ

· Registered
5,587 Posts
The booster plugs are really just gimmicks and don't really work. They "trick" the ECU temporarily but it then just adjusts to compensate for it. There's been a lot of discussion about them on the Honda ST owners forum (I have an ST as well as the Kawi)

Get a real tuner setup if you want to remap the ECU.

· Registered
465 Posts
....what they do is replace the intake air temperature sensor.. which is a thermistor(Temperature-vs-resistance).... for one that offers more resistance readings for any given temperature. Partily by locating the sensor outside engine heat. This tells the ECU air is denser (lower temps) and gives a bit more fuel.

.........................even relocating the stock air temp sensor from inside the air box to somewhere outside engine, or front of motorcycle......would provide a bit lower resistance readings and slightly richer mix. The ECU has no way of knowing if temp sensor is in the air box, ....or inside a refrigerator.

· 見る
3,025 Posts
The booster plugs are really just gimmicks and don't really work. They "trick" the ECU temporarily but it then just adjusts to compensate for it. There's been a lot of discussion about them on the Honda ST owners forum (I have an ST as well as the Kawi)

I'm not sure what a Booster Plus is, but if it's anything like the O2 Optimiser on my Shiver, then it will work.

The O2 Optimiser plugs into the Lambda sensor wiring and is basically an adjustable potentiometer. The ECU doesn't eventually compensate for it as the Lambda is still functioning and sending (albeit altered) real time signals to the ECU.

· Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now we are getting somewhere. I've seen oxygen sensor eliminators that claim a 3% increase in fuel mixture, which is what I'm after.

You mentioned an adjustable one. The idea intrigues me. Please tell me where you got that. I may be a buyer.
Thank you!

· 見る
3,025 Posts
The O2 Optimiser is not an oxygen sensor eliminator. It works in tandem with the Lambda sensor by sending an altered signal from the Lambda to the ECU.

It was built by a guy who sold them on Ebay. I found out about them on an Aprilia forum. Most guys had positive things to say.

I bought it to address the famous Shiver choppiness/snatchiness around idle and take off, and exhaust popping on decel.

After I installed it, I noticed an immediate change in the bikes behavior. Smoother throttle behaviour and less decel popping. There is still some popping but that's because the exhaust has been decat-ed and I'm running aftermarket cans.

There are inline enrichment devices for a few bikes, but most are a fixed resistor type for the specific model.

The guy who made mine told me that it was specifically set up for the Shiver, but since I live in the tropics, and the Shiver runs very lean from the factory, I discussed adjusting it to make the bike run a little cooler with a slightly richer fueling than he had set the potentiometer to.

Don't ask me about whether it has affected fuel consumption, as I never measure it and simply fill up when the low fuel light comes on, but I'm very happy with the results of the Optimiser.

· Registered
6 Posts

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I have the 2020 650 and the booster plug definitely improved the low speed throttle control. It didn't eliminate the 'snatch' totally but it made a marked improvement. Maybe if the bike has an after market exhaust, then the benefits are reduced but for it's a winner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts