RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking for something to stop bleeding but I guess it's never discussed here. I was looking for something to stop the bleeding if anyone gets an artery cut as it will only take seconds to minutes, depending on the cut or how big you are to bleed out. So I have created a list of a few important things to carry along with you, at least I carry it on every ride.
Whether you are riding just around the block on a few hundred-mile trips, you must have the first aid medical things that can save your life. First is the tourniquet, now there is a lot of myth about the use of this thing which are not valid. You only need to know how to use it properly. If you can get cut on your arm the best way to use this is to place it on your upper arm, near the armpit, or anywhere above the elbow. Avoid using it below the elbow where the two bones cross over each other and the same is for the leg.
The second is the quick clot, after tieing the tourniquet use the quick clotting kit as soon as possible you might have only 60 sec to 120 sec to bleed out. do carry some good surgical bandages and scissors to cut off your clothing. Always carry your medical kit on your body, I prefer to put it on my left leg or on the top cover of my saddlebag.
The third is IV fluids. If you are severely hurt or bleeding, drink the IV Fluids, yes it is perfectly safe to drink the IV fluids, call for help, lay down straight back on the road, and make sure your cut is not towards gravity or you bleed too fast.

Here are the few things I always carry along with me. I hope it will be helpful and might save a down biker. please share your medical kits and what you carry along.

www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: North American Rescue 30-0023 C-A-T Combat Application Tourniquet, Rescue Orange : Industrial & Scientific
Amazon.com: North American Rescue 30-0023 C-A-T Combat Application Tourniquet, Rescue Orange : Industrial & Scientific
www.amazon.com
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: QuikClot Gauze 3" x 2' : Health & Household
Buy QuikClot Gauze 3" x 2': Gauze - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: (6 Pack) Elastic Bandage Wrap | Self Closing Latex-Free Cotton Compression Bandage (4” & 6” Wide Rolls) w/ Hook and Loop Closure | Elastic Tape Rolls for Medical, Sports, Sprains, Calf, Ankle & Foot : Health & Household
Buy (6 Pack) Elastic Bandage Wrap | Self Closing Latex-Free Cotton Compression Bandage (4” & 6” Wide Rolls) w/ Hook and Loop Closure | Elastic Tape Rolls for Medical, Sports, Sprains, Calf, Ankle & Foot on Amazon.com ✓ FREE SHIPPING on qualified orders
www.amazon.com
Amazon.com
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Extra Durable Moleskin - 2" x 5 Yards : Health & Household
Buy Extra Durable Moleskin - 2" x 5 Yards: Moleskin - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: PhysiciansCare First Aid Antiseptic Towelettes, Box of 25 Individually Wrapped : Health & Household
Buy PhysiciansCare First Aid Antiseptic Towelettes, Box of 25 Individually Wrapped: Cleansing Cloths, Swabs & Wipes - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Ever Ready First Aid Triple Antibiotic Ointment .9gr Packets - 25 Count : Health & Household
Buy Ever Ready First Aid Triple Antibiotic Ointment .9gr Packets - 25 Count on Amazon.com ✓ FREE SHIPPING on qualified orders
www.amazon.com
Amazon.com: First Aid Only - LYSB00I02OMJU-SPRTSEQIP Trauma Pad, 5 Inch X 9 Inch, 10 Count Box : Health & Household
Buy First Aid Only - LYSB00I02OMJU-SPRTSEQIP Trauma Pad, 5 Inch X 9 Inch, 10 Count Box: Gauze - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Disposable Nitrile Gloves - Latex Free, Powder Free Medical Exam Gloves : Industrial & Scientific
Amazon.com: Disposable Nitrile Gloves - Latex Free, Powder Free Medical Exam Gloves : Industrial & Scientific
www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com

Amazon.com : Adventure Medical 0155-0282 Wound Cleaning and Closing : Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com : Adventure Medical 0155-0282 Wound Cleaning and Closing : Sports & Outdoors
www.amazon.com
Amazon.com: First Aid Only - LYSB00I02OMJU-SPRTSEQIP Trauma Pad, 5 Inch X 9 Inch, 10 Count Box : Health & Household
Buy First Aid Only - LYSB00I02OMJU-SPRTSEQIP Trauma Pad, 5 Inch X 9 Inch, 10 Count Box: Gauze - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: WNL Products CPR Rescue Mask, Adult/Child & Infant Pocket Resuscitator, Hard Case Kit with Belt Clip 2-Pack : Industrial & Scientific
Amazon.com: WNL Products CPR Rescue Mask, Adult/Child & Infant Pocket Resuscitator, Hard Case Kit with Belt Clip 2-Pack : Industrial & Scientific
www.amazon.com
Amazon.com
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Dynarex First Aid Cream - Relieve Pain from Minor Cuts, Scrapes & Burns - 0.9g Foil Packets - 144 Count : Health & Household
Buy Dynarex First Aid Cream - Relieve Pain from Minor Cuts, Scrapes & Burns - 0.9g Foil Packets - 144 Count on Amazon.com ✓ FREE SHIPPING on qualified orders
www.amazon.com
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: TRUEplus® Glucose Tablets, Raspberry Flavor - 6X 10ct Tubes : Health & Household
Buy TRUEplus® Glucose Tablets, Raspberry Flavor - 6X 10ct Tubes on Amazon.com ✓ FREE SHIPPING on qualified orders
www.amazon.com
Amazon.com
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Dynarex 4110 Medicut Scalpels Disposable Sterile : Health & Household
Buy Dynarex 4110 Medicut Scalpels Disposable Sterile: Health & Household - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

I hope this could be helpful to the riders out there and please let me know about your suggestions.

· Registered
447 Posts
This topic is certainly something to think about. I carried a tourniquet (piece of solid #12 copper wire) on my scuba diving tank and on my dive partner's tank.
What about antibiotic spray for large road rash?

· Registered
990 Posts
Good thread. Had to go see how my first aid items are looking. Before I head out next year, I have another look and maybe update some items like the tape if its getting gooey. Yep, antibiotic ointment for the skin. Also have a mosquito bite treatment. Not a fan of turiquets, but I do have pads, tape, and wrap to apply pressure. Also some individually packages sutures, but sure hope to not ever use one. Tweezers and lip balm.

· Registered
447 Posts
As an electrician I always have a roll of electrical tape. It can be used to fix stuff on the bike as well for stuff on the human body. You should buy the high quality Scotch 33+ or at least the 1700.
Keep in mind that tape stops sticking after a few years so it needs to be cycled.

· Registered
10,350 Posts
Doesn't matter what you carry if you are not trained how to use it. Do you carry a kit in the car also? Are you prepared to render first aid to others? Some pretty heavy stuff in the first post.

· Registered
990 Posts
First aid to assist others? Riders along the trail or remote area, I'd help as much as I could and attempt to contact medical. On the road, in populated areas, I'm not sure how involved I'd get given people easily being sued for nonsense. I would secure the immediate area and contact medical help for sure. Anything after that is probably situation driven.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts