RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clutc-Radial-brake-Master-Cylinder-Kawasaki-Z1000-03-06-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b365a7c3QQitemZ140448737219QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3890wt_1011

My master cylinder sometimes weeps a little bit, and the brakes feel less than desirable. They really suck. So I've been thinking about upgrading the master cylinder. I have even heard the newer Z's have better ones, but haven't seen any for sale. Especially not at the price of this one. If there is another relatively inexpensive option point me in the right direction. I don't do track days, but I ride aggressively in the twisties. I don't need brembo, I just want a little better than what I have. SS brake lines and better pads will follow the upgrade of the master cylinder. I wouldn't mind retaining the mirror mount if possible, but I can live without it.

Before you flame me, yes I understand I am being cheap with a component that stops my motorcycle and thus could save my life. My buddy bought levers from this company and they seem to be really high quality. They feel great and look great. Im just wondering if you have experience or advice, I don't want to hear any :flamethro

What do you think? :bud:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'de like to add one thing. I remember on SVRider when Delkevic came into the scene and everyone was wary about their product based on the price. Just seeing their success on SVRider was impressive. Furthermore, my buddy is running a CF muffler from them and it's extremely high quality and makes his VFR sound like amazing. He couldn't be happier, and it didn't break the bank.

There is reason behind this madness. I wouldn't consider it if I didn't think there was a slight possibility that it could be worth the risk.

·
Registered
929 Posts
worst case scenario it doesn't workout, and you have to find something else.... OTOH, if it does, you saved some cheese & fixed your little problem. I say go for it. I bought Shinko Raven tires for 2 yrs b/c its what i could afford.... turned out the tires worked great! 7k out of the rear, and 14k out of the front. felt very stable.

I guess what I am saying is don't just pass it up cuz its cheap; it might be worth the money and then some!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just purchased some of the "Cheap chinese" stuff from DanMoto and so far very pleased! Take one for the team and keep us posted.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Couldn't you purchase a radial master cylinder from a different bike? I don't think they are bike specific. Just clamp on to the bar. I've seen some GSXR Radial M/C's on ebay for half that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im running shinko ravens right now, ive dragged pegs MULTIPLE TIMES with them. I am getting head shake though. Although it was probably me setting up my suspension incorrectly. It feels really flickable, but also has head shake at high speeds. All well, it keeps me out of looney tunes speed.

Back to the task at hand.

I am going to look into the price of a different master cylinder and purchasing shorty levers for that setup. Just got back from a coast trip with the lady. It rained half the time, and we put in about 15 miles of dirt riding. I love my Z

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Im running shinko ravens right now, ive dragged pegs MULTIPLE TIMES with them. I am getting head shake though. Although it was probably me setting up my suspension incorrectly. It feels really flickable, but also has head shake at high speeds. All well, it keeps me out of looney tunes speed.

Back to the task at hand.

I am going to look into the price of a different master cylinder and purchasing shorty levers for that setup. Just got back from a coast trip with the lady. It rained half the time, and we put in about 15 miles of dirt riding. I love my Z
If your talking stock Z suspension.... headshake is not out of the realm of possibilities. WAAAAY to stiff rear mated to an overly soft front, yeah it can happen. Mine would wobble in a straight line at anything over 120. Just fitting a cheap, ebay purchased 636 shock helped. When the factory boingers are so mis-matched, is it even possible to set-up "right"? Some may say yes, but I sure didn't get it right until I fully upgraded my components. A steering damper is your friend on this bike... and there ain't no being "cheap" on that, they are worth the price.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Like mentioned above, to save coin i'd just buy one from a modern SS bike. I can't see them being anything but universal as they are all bar mounted and probably even use the same fittings.

ORRR just upgrade to braided lines and nothing else for now. That may give you the feel you're looking for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts