RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a kill switch off ebay to use to replace my ignition; I will be installing it on the left handlebars and wire it to act as a toggle between ignition-on and ignition-off.

Does anyone know if there is a resistor in the OEM ignition on the wire leading to the ECU? I know some bikes do this, but haven't seen any confirmation on whether ours does.

Here's proof of my track bike (Just in case something thinks I'm actually trying to steal bikes. :))

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The kill switch is powered via Fuse 5 (10amps) from Fuse Box 1 which, even when disengaged, delivers power to the radiator fan relay, meter unit, and ECU main relay. When kill switch is engaged, power is delivered directly to the spark plugs, fuel pump relay, and a signal thingy leading to the ECU. SOOo, the answer to your question is (drum roll) -- nope, no resistor whatsoever is needed (yep, everthing is hardwired to the kill switch).

Enjoy, and ride safe! :)

EDIT: Wait a sec, are we talking about that red switch (kill switch), the black switch (starter button), or the ignition switch (where you put the ignition switch key)? Hehe, either which way, there are no resistors whatsoever in between them as well. Refer to the wiring diagram in the service manual for more details.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks. :) I was specifically talking about the wires leading out of the keyed ignition housing, but that info is good for both. I do have the wiring diagram and it;s an amazingly awesome tool, but I wasn't sure if it would specify any resistors present.

Thanks again!

·
Silver Member
4,958 Posts
The service manual won't help for this. It will show the ignition switch and the various contacts according to key position but for security reasons it will not show if there is a resistor, the value of it or it's location. For that information you would have to have the switch out and metered on the bench. At least that's the way it panned out for my 1200 Bandit when the switch locked up and I tried to short the wires to get home.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll pull out the multimeter again and give it a check- I was in a rush yesterday and didn't have a chance to really test it. I'm guessing it'd be a 100ohm resistor if there is one, but it'd be much easier if there wasn't; either way, I'll be sure to update.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Dead on, Serpentine.

There is a resistor. You could measure it but that's way too easy. If you remove the back cover from the switch, it should be right there. Since you like to take stuff apart and all. :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, thanks DJ- so just open the sucker up and slap it onto the appropriate wire on the new killswitch setup? Or, I guess buying a new one would be the prefered way.
Anyway awesome, I do like excuses to take things apart! :)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
You could pull out the resistor but then the switch will be non-functional if you have a future need for it. You won't have much lead length either. It's probably best just to get a new one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was going to say I wouldn't be surprised if there was a resistor in there. The KLX250s have a resistor in the ignition switch housing - if you just rip the wires out and short the 'right' ones together, the bike still won't start - you need the proper resistor inline - it's a bit of a cheap anti-theft device.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
After a bit of drilling- thar she blows:

100 ohms, +/- 5%

Edit: If anyone wants to know exactly how each wire works let me know. That 5th red wire does play a part.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got everything wired up and soldered together- thanks for the help guys. Not sure if the lack of a resistor would make the ECU explode or not, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts

100 ohms, +/- 5%

Edit: If anyone wants to know exactly how each wire works let me know. That 5th red wire does play a part.
I need to know i have a 2014 zx10r that im trying to do something similar with (im building a track bike for my wife and dont know how to re wired the ignition back in as in does the yellow wire go to the blue wire ?!)

·
Registered
1 Posts

100 ohms, +/- 5%

I have a 2005 Kawasaki zzr600 I just brought a aftermarket ignition it didn’t come with the resistor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts