RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually ride with ear plugs in and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary until a couple weekends ago when I heard an oscillating whining noise coming from the drivetrain. Odd thing is I heard it much louder in 2nd than any other gear. May be that 2nd gears are cut differently. Dunno.

So I lifted the rear and spun the tire and heard clicking coming out of the front bevel drive.
Bike is just at 25K and aside the boring hiway miles, there are a lot of hard ridden mountain miles.

I hear on other forums that this drivetrain is bullet proof. If true, not sure why these parts are bought as they hit ebay. the parts in picture aside the shaft go as an assy and are about 1400.00 on Bike Bandit. Oh, get this..it's on back order from Kaw. odd for a bullet proof part.

Bought all in picture for 260.00 off a 2011 with 15K on it.

IMG_1421[1].JPG

·
Registered
850 Posts
I wonder if gear-mesh frequency of the second gear set some how amplifies through the front bevel gears. Not sure as the freq would seem to vary with speeds. Anyway, is it too soon to ask if you are up and running?

Regarding bullet proof components, we'd all like to think so huh? I have no idea how to gage that. Over at the cog forum, someone is replacing a clutch basket as it was determined to be bad at a dealer. I wonder if this is an inspection error as the basket has some cushion springs riveting in place - going by clutch exploded views.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The seller forgot to send me what he thought was a gasket where the bevel gear bolts to side cover that holds the pinion gear. Luckily he still had it.

I had to walk him though the removal of the side cover which scared the hell out of me. Had to explain that was no gasket but a shim that was selected through precision at the factory to achieve proper gear lash and that it would take me having to by 9 shims at over $10.00 each and a bottle of bluing to make sure I had the correct shimming.
The bearings are pristine. Nice, tight and smooth.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I'm waiting on the shim to come in and will probably check the mesh with bluing anyway because he split the case instead of pushing the spring loaded pin to release the shaft.
Mapping and adjusting valves as well so it'll be down for a little while

·
Registered
850 Posts
Now, I wonder which is the correct shim for your bike - the one that came with the bike, or the replacement parts? Guess we have to know if the variance is with the bevel gear unit or the engine cases.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
850 Posts
Ok. That helped. I see the shim (92180) you were referring to. Yeah, that would need to be included with any take off bevel gear assembly. Good catch!

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big problem if you look on Ebay is sellers parting out trashed bikes (rookies) don't know there's the pin to release the shaft and/or the bevel gear is a match set with pinion inside cover. In either case, at the end of the day they end up separating the set and are screwed. The experienced sellers like Pinwall will never crack those 4 bolts.

I trashed my center stand trying to get it around the left mid-pipe when I installed the ZX14R exhaust. This same guy had one 25.00 shipped and so that's how the rest of the pricing went on the rest of the parts so I had to be patient with him..LOL

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Glad I traded mine before it exploded! I wonder how those guys on zggtr manage to have over 100,000 miles on their bikes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts