RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I can't answer whether the shim kits are the right ones. My comment about rocker arms/tappets is for simple motorcycle engines - I didn't even know that your bike runs shims (meaning no rocker arms/tappets)....I was just trying to explain what valve adjustment/clearance meant.

Also, it's not a repair, it's a continual maintenance procedure.

Go and talk to the mechanic at Normanring Motorbikes Davao - they deal with big bikes. Maybe their mechanic can help you out.

btw - you can easily check the clearances - just follow the procedure in the manual and buy some feeler gauges....and Obo and/or Zed7 can tell you the diameter of the relevant shims and whether the ones you are looking at will fit.
Noted @Ozninjaguy. Thank you for the recommendation! I’ll read the manual later about this procedure as well as how to maintain it regularly. I hope I can learn this quick. Thank you!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Lloyd, if you ever figure out how to learn this "quick", please post up. It took me years. 🍻
Noted @Zed7. I can’t work since I have no tools, yet. The only tools I have are the screws. I ordered my tools and will arrive in 2 weeks. I’ll keep in touch after I receive my tools and go to work. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
Noted @Zed7. I can’t work since I have no tools, yet. The only tools I have are the screws. I ordered my tools and will arrive in 2 weeks. I’ll keep in touch after I receive my tools and go to work. Thank you!
Make sure you buy a torque wrench - they are pretty cheap now-a-days. Your manual will have the torque required for almost every bolt on your bike. Follow those torques settings - they exist for a reason....and make sure you especially use the correct torque for your sump plug (oil drain plug), otherwise, if you over-tighten and strip the thread - you have a nightmare on your hands.

Reactions: Zed7

·
Registered
186 Posts
And so it begins. Someday it will be YOU the locals bring their bike to for repair. 🍻
As Oz says.. a torque wrench above all. 👍

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I
Make sure you buy a torque wrench - they are pretty cheap now-a-days. Your manual will have the torque required for almost every bolt on your bike. Follow those torques settings - they exist for a reason....and make sure you especially use the correct torque for your sump plug (oil drain plug), otherwise, if you over-tighten and strip the thread - you have a nightmare on your hands.
For the torque wrench, I just ordered it now and it’s from japan as the ads says. Oil drain plug? Mu mechanic did tighten my oil drain plug (if it’s the one located below) but he didn’t use the torque wrench. Thank you for this advice @Ozninjaguy!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
And so it begins. Someday it will be YOU the locals bring their bike to for repair. 🍻
As Oz says.. a torque wrench above all. 👍
It depends. Lol but thank you @Zed7! I’ll keep you posted on my work if the tools arrive. Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
Mu mechanic did tighten my oil drain plug (if it’s the one located below) but he didn’t use the torque wrench.
That's my point - you need a torque wrench. If the mechanic strips the thread - he will just shrug his shoulders in true Filipino attitude and say: bad luck - your problem.

Once you have been working on bikes for a few years you get a 'feel' for the correct/approximate torque of certain bolts/screws - but until then, use a torque wrench. I bought one 45+ years ago and still use it on every important bolt even now. Good quality tools will last a lifetime and save a fortune in repairs.

This is the brand that I bought back in the early 70's - cost half my weekly salary at that time - lol. Still works 45+ years later. Deflecting Beam Torque Wrench 3/8" drive 5 - 120Nm

I'm not suggesting that you buy this particular tool - just suggesting that you buy a quality torque wrench.

Reactions: Zed7

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oz, the good thing about the deflecting beam type is they either don't need calibration or just a simple calibration. Plus you can see when you're sneaking up to the proper torque. 👍

Lloyd, now that you're waiting for your tools, use the time to research YouTube videos for the tasks you have at hand so you'll know what to do with the tools when they arrive. 👍

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Oz, the good thing about the deflecting beam type is they either don't need calibration or just a simple calibration. Plus you can see when you're sneaking up to the proper torque. 👍

Lloyd, now that you're waiting for your tools, use the time to research YouTube videos for the tasks you have at hand so you'll know what to do with the tools when they arrive. 👍
Good day, I’m curious once again. Maybe I bought the wrong torque wrench. What’s the appropriate size to buy? So I don’t mis-buy. Thank you! Anyway, i will! I’m currently searching the manual too, It’s hard to read on the free manual given at the site referred by Oz so maybe I’ll try to buy the pdf manual.
@Ozninjaguy the torque wrench you referred is currently out of stock so I’ll stick with the lazada/shopee product or the ebay product. Thank you Kuys!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good day, I’m curious once again. Maybe I bought the wrong torque wrench. What’s the appropriate size to buy? So I don’t mis-buy. Thank you! Anyway, i will! I’m currently searching the manual too, It’s hard to read on the free manual given at the site referred by Oz so maybe I’ll try to buy the pdf manual.
@Ozninjaguy the torque wrench you referred is currently out of stock so I’ll stick with the lazada/shopee product or the ebay product. Thank you Kuys!
You need several because they're not accurate throughout their full range. If you only get one for starters, go with a mid range.
The smallest inch/pound is just used for the cam caps and engine covers.
The largest, up to 100 ft/lb is used for axle bolts and the countershaft sprocket nut.
The mid size which is most accurate around 15-30 ft/lb for everything else.

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
I’m currently searching the manual too, It’s hard to read on the free manual given at the site referred by Oz so maybe I’ll try to buy the pdf manual.
The manual online is a downloadable pdf.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts