RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got those plugs out with a dremel. For a 1/16" thick plug, it felt as though I was cutting through a redwood as I saw the cutter slicing deeper into the adjustment canal. My 10 year old daughter, who owns an XR-80 was right by my side helping out. My six YO lent me his cool tools to accomplish the job. Kidz are neat.

Anyhow, the 1 & 2 carbs were set at three turns; 3 & 4 were set at two turns from the factory. Anybody else experience different factory settings with your carb's??

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
I changed my jets to #110's and was able to adjust the screws back in to 1.5 turns out. Anything more and my plugs get fouled. I Might try 1 turn out, sync my carbs and see what happens.:smilewink

·
Silver Member
280 Posts
I set mine to 2 turns out and that got rid of 90% of the off-idle hesitation. Then I tried 2 1/2 turns out followed by a carb synch and that got rid of it completely. I suspect my mileage has gone down slightly, but it runs MUCH better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
can I do it?

I'm not a mechanic, but would like to adjust my idle mixture to the required 2.5 (I've been reading) but is this something I can do or will it require dismantling the bike just to get to these screws?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you can!! You can keep the carbs inplace; all you need is a Dremel tool with a cutting disk.

Andy Bajka passed this shortcut to me a few months ago. It tells you how to (and has good pictures) cut those plugs out, to access the pilot screws. This adjustment, along with adjusting the throttle cable (mine was turned all the way in) made a marked improvement on this annoying problem. Good luck!!

http://www.softcom.net/users/bilvanek/mixture.htm

·
Registered
706 Posts
Pilot screws removed..!

Best regards Team...!

I just removed the idle mixture (pilot screws)..No Dremel tool or drill.....! I removed them manually using a utility hacksaw.
Anyway I set up the screws to 2.5....I was really scared regarding this modification using something with too much power (Drill or Dremel tool)....the screw housing and tamper plugs feel like butter....No "elbow grease" at all....just a lot of patience......

Ride Safe..!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andy,

Will a 1/2" drill bit do the trick?:D
KUC45 is right; that is the UGLY way:eek:

Anyhow, I have a dremel and a rather steady hand. My daughter held the mirror whilst I cut away.

I cannot seem to find a definate "stop" when the screws are turned in, it just gets a snuggish-type feeling so I backed out the screws using that as a reference point. I wonder if the pilot screw just spins in-place when it is turned all the way in. I did not apply nearly enough muscle where I feel that these threads could strip.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
They don't pin in place. It only takes a little bit to turn them in to the stops. Be gentle......

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ooops!

I checked the tweeker that I used for the pilot screws and found that the handle was stripped. :yell: I found a small allen key and, using my Dremel, fashioned it into a screwdriver of just the right size.

I re-calibrated the pilot screws (feeling the screw-stop), backing them out to 3-turns. We'll see what happens... :eek: :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts