RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, been away for a little while... but now back with a question.
I adjusted my air-fuel mixture screws (the ones at the bottom of each carb) as I found my bike to be running rather rich (smelly) and un-economical (1 liter of petrol took me about 17 km, this should be in the 19/ 20 km range at my driving style ;))

so, brought the screws back to 1,75 whole turns out (they where a ridiculous amount of turns out, did not count, but would guess about 3,5 to 4 maybe).

after I turned them back in, fired up the monster, and tried to adjust the idle (this had gone up....?) after a little while (bike heating up and all) the idle became more iritic… surging up to 2000 rpm, dipping back down …
all the signs of a vacuum leak… so I tested it with some spray solvent (break cleaner) and tadaaa… clear additional surging on application of the liquid.

But now… what to do, what to replace and how to determine which parts are bad.

My first plan is:
- vacuum caps (on top of the carbs)
- vacuum hoses (to petcock and EGR?)
- clamps holding the carb on the head
- intake rubbers (expensive… so rather not).
- Any other bits?
- And tips on cheap alternative parts are very welcome!

Bike still rides great though!! :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
have u tried just adjusting the black knob on the left hand carb?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have u tried just adjusting the black knob on the left hand carb?
yes, i have adjusted the idle down, started driving, bam... back up to 2000... brake on engine to just before stalling, clutch... idle stays low.. rev a little... bam back up to 2000....

·
Registered
324 Posts
i cant think of anything else other than wat u have tried already, there might be someone on here that can help, but its always worth asking at a bike shop

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got 2 new caps and a 3/4 meter vacuum hose, will replace that first and let you guys know...

·
Registered
467 Posts
try to limit your spray to certain areas to see if it makes a difference. This might narrow it down for you. Also I tend to use WD-40 when checking for leaks. Last a bit longer than brake clean for dianosing vaccum leaks. The fact that the idle speed varies suggests you might have an intermittant vaccum leak.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iride and Wado750
Thanks for thinking along.

I will start by doing a synchronization test, to see if one of the carbs stands out. this should narrow it down to 1 carb (perhaps two). than replace the caps and hoses, recheck... difference.. nice... no difference... DOH and search on.
the dealer adviced to use sealant to aid in the sealing between intake manifold and carbs.

we'll get there!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you know... this was never solved. i replaced my rubber inlet booths the other day. and i checked the float bowls (there was some mucky stuff in there) than i turned cleaned out the adjustable idle jets and set them to 1,75 turns out. after that... my bike would present me with the exact same problems as described above!!!
A little WTF is floating along here.... i am now thinking there might be something rather wrong.
I have now set the bike up with 2 full turns out, but this gives me a idle i cant adjust lower than a 1000 rpms....
who has the solution.... or do i bite the bullet and do a full tear down incl sonic clean and all?

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,136 Posts
Idle speed should be 1150 rpm +/- 50 rpm or something like that.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
check your float bowl gaskets as they can also be a vacume leak source...you really gotta try and pinpoint a vac leak if you feel there is one....on a side note..if your jetted lean even on the mix screws you will NEVER be able to get the idle down past a certain point without it dying..thats the nature of a carb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts