RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pricing out some service work on my Little Red Ninja, and my wife said that I should consider putting the money toward a new bike with ABS. I think this means that she wants to keep me around. ;) So I did some research and took some test rides. And in the end I chose a closeout 2019 Ninja 400 ABS in black.

I still really like my 2007 N650R, but the Ninjette fits my short height better, and she has enough power to handle anything I would need to do. So I sold the Old Girl. I just picked the Ninjette up on Tuesday and I'm in the process of transferring some farkels like the Scottoiler and the Battery Tender lead, and I'll be installing heated grips, a taller windshield, and a power outlet. My luggage will easily transfer as well. Once we're past her training sessions (otherwise known as the break-in period), we'll be able to start doing some test runs before attempting a big trip. This Ninjette needs to earn some dragons, and I feel a little silly riding a bike with an IBA plate backer when I haven't actually earned a long distance certificate on this specific bike.

It looks like this site is not planning to add a dedicated Ninja 400 section to the Ninjette area, and the 250 and 300 Ninjettes seem excessively quiet here. So I'm probably going to join another forum that was set up for Ninja 400 riders. I was lurking over there while undertaking my pre-purchase due diligence and saw a familiar name, McRider. I guess he traded his Honda 500 for a Ninjette.

Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Congrats and enjoy the ride. I really wanted the naked z400 but it is a little small for my frame.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Very cool. I think if I lived in a city is consider a lighter bike as well. ABS is an amazing tech that will save your butt in a pinch.

Sorry to see a member go, but enjoy your new bike. Maybe you'll return one day 🙂

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I think that this is the right bike for my newfound big-city riding because the Ninjette is even more agile than my Old Girl. And I should still be able to handle the highways with style and grace. A bike with sufficient power that also fits my size better than the 650R should be really fun. I hope never to need the ABS, but my risk factor just went way up by moving to a city. TWA's signature line is wise, and ABS is just another safety layer on top of ATGATT, situational awareness and skill.

If this site's Ninjette area was active, I'd stay active here. But since the Ninjette 300 forum on this site hasn't had a new posting since January 2018, and the 250 site hasn't had a posting in 6 months, I can understand why there may be a reluctance to put effort toward a new 400 site. It's interesting how these forums seem to ebb and flow. A lot of us can remember the BRP forum for Ninja 650R's. It seemed to die off when Kawi quit sponsoring 650 racing--I don't know if that was a cause or a coincidence. The 650's here used to be very chatty, but we seem to have more who leave than join.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Yep, these forums are definitely in a death knell.

I came here when the Ninja 650 forum I was on dissolved. Then I bought a meanstreak and that area was very active. Now I check in once a week or so and it takes me a minute to look at the new posts.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah. I wish it was more active as well. I'm considering moving to a city from a small town. Please let me know what you find as pros and cons of your switch. Feel free to PM if you want.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks. I think that this is the right bike for my newfound big-city riding because the Ninjette is even more agile than my Old Girl. And I should still be able to handle the highways with style and grace. A bike with sufficient power that also fits my size better than the 650R should be really fun. I hope never to need the ABS, but my risk factor just went way up by moving to a city. TWA's signature line is wise, and ABS is just another safety layer on top of ATGATT, situational awareness and skill.

If this site's Ninjette area was active, I'd stay active here. But since the Ninjette 300 forum on this site hasn't had a new posting since January 2018, and the 250 site hasn't had a posting in 6 months, I can understand why there may be a reluctance to put effort toward a new 400 site. It's interesting how these forums seem to ebb and flow. A lot of us can remember the BRP forum for Ninja 650R's. It seemed to die off when Kawi quit sponsoring 650 racing--I don't know if that was a cause or a coincidence. The 650's here used to be very chatty, but we seem to have more who leave than join.
Yep, these forums are definitely in a death knell.

I came here when the Ninja 650 forum I was on dissolved. Then I bought a meanstreak and that area was very active. Now I check in once a week or so and it takes me a minute to look at the new posts.
I came here because I had heard others refer to the site. I was also on the BRP site before it went down. This site is definitely going downhill as well, and it's sad, because there's going to be a wealth of info simply gone once it dies, just like when we lost the BRP site.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I really detest this new layout that all the forums are moving to. Anyway, maybe we can get ninja400riders forum to add a 650 subsection? Ping Kiwi Rider there, he's the admin.

Also, this site is sinking in Google search results.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
The 650's here used to be very chatty, but we seem to have more who leave than join.
I sold the Ninja 650 and bought an Aprilia Shiver 750, so I kind of just dropped out as I didn't have anything to contribute 650-wise. I only comment here occasionally as I still get an email every week about Forum highlights. Enjoy the 400.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm considering moving to a city from a small town. Please let me know what you find as pros and cons of your switch. Feel free to PM if you want.
The Ninjette and I are still in basic training--I just have 503 miles on her so far. But even with break in RPM restrictions, the Ninjette is keeping up or outdoing city traffic. I've mostly been puttering in the suburbs and the close-in rural areas to keep the bike low and smooth, but I've also been in the open country and the Milwaukee downtown lakefront areas. While my Little Red Ninja 650R was agile, the Ninjette is lighter, smaller, and a degree more agile than the Old Girl. This is really good in urban areas (and also in genuine twisties, I should think). And without riding too aggressive, the Ninjette hasn't been wanting for get up and go. I have no doubt that the Ninjette can dispatch even aggressive urban traffic once the RMP restrictions are gone.

And since my luggage and Scottoiler fit the Ninjette, I think that long trips are still part of the package.

I've attached a pic of the Ninjette in front of the Milwaukee Art Museum
Milwaukee Art.jpg

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was pricing out some service work on my Little Red Ninja, and my wife said that I should consider putting the money toward a new bike with ABS. I think this means that she wants to keep me around. ;) So I did some research and took some test rides. And in the end I chose a closeout 2019 Ninja 400 ABS in black.

I still really like my 2007 N650R, but the Ninjette fits my short height better, and she has enough power to handle anything I would need to do. So I sold the Old Girl. I just picked the Ninjette up on Tuesday and I'm in the process of transferring some farkels like the Scottoiler and the Battery Tender lead, and I'll be installing heated grips, a taller windshield, and a power outlet. My luggage will easily transfer as well. Once we're past her training sessions (otherwise known as the break-in period), we'll be able to start doing some test runs before attempting a big trip. This Ninjette needs to earn some dragons, and I feel a little silly riding a bike with an IBA plate backer when I haven't actually earned a long distance certificate on this specific bike.

It looks like this site is not planning to add a dedicated Ninja 400 section to the Ninjette area, and the 250 and 300 Ninjettes seem excessively quiet here. So I'm probably going to join another forum that was set up for Ninja 400 riders. I was lurking over there while undertaking my pre-purchase due diligence and saw a familiar name, McRider. I guess he traded his Honda 500 for a Ninjette.

Keep the shiny side up!
Congratulations on the Ninja 400. I've been interested in that one too. I still have my 2007 Kawasaki 650R Ninja. It has 3,800 miles.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm considering moving to a city from a small town. Please let me know what you find as pros and cons of your switch. Feel free to PM if you want.
The Ninjette had her first check up (e.g., initial 600 mile servicing) yesterday morning, and I now have more freedom to rev for the remainder of the 1000 mile break in period. I'm now at just over 800 miles (ain't retirement wonderful). This bike does great in the city--very easy to control. Stop and go surface street traffic is easy, and the upright ergos (in comparison to a supersport) make it easy to keep an eye on traffic for safety. Also, I'm not having any difficulty with traffic speeds & passing or evading when necessary. On the highways, I took her through two of Milwaukee's spaghetti junctions this afternoon and had a much easier time than I anticipated. This bike has even better telepathic control than my 650R had--and that bike was awesome. (Hmm, I need to find a wider assortment of adjectives than just "easy," but that's the overall impression I have of the Ninjette).

As for knocks, they're few. The seat is hard, but seems to either be getting softer or my butt is just now starting to return to it's usual iron. And while the suspension is sufficient on roads that would be considered rough in North Dakota, here in Wisconsin (with multiple freeze-thaw cycles per year and governments which on all levels appear to be fond of deferring maintenance), there are a lot of roads that are heaved up, potholed, or sadly patched in a manner that says that nobody will be held responsible by the voters. I might soften the rear preload, but the dealer suggested that the spring will get softer with a little use.

The Ninjette so far has shown excellent quality control, and rides very much like my 2007 650R. I'm averaging over 60 mpg, which is going to help keep the range substantially similar to the 650 with its larger gas tank. And I like being able to flat-foot the bike at stops, the lower seat height is turning out to be really good for me at 5'7". But if you're tall, the compact dimensions may become uncomfortable, especially longer legs may feel like they're too tucked in.

I still haven't tested the ABS. ;) Nor has there been a day that a North Dakotan would consider to be windy, so I can't yet report on handling in the wind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Baxter nice bike man. i am still loving my 400, i took a trip to the blue ridge mountains a few weeks ago and broke 3k miles while there. i am about to put full exhaust on, get the ecu flashed and add some velocity stacks, supposed to add 7hp, not a bad increase. test the abs!!! its very odd at first, i tried it with the rear tire first while in a straight line. one thing i do not like about the abs, is as soon as the rear tire starts to lift up on hard braking, the front abs kicks in. defiantly safer that way, but it does lose a touch of braking power at that point.
lots of 400 folks at ninja400riders, but not as active as forums used to be.. have i said i miss those days? yeah, i miss those days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts