RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, this is very off topic. You see, there's no hot water in the house and I am delaying jumping into the shower. I'm stalling trying to reply to as many things as I can.

I'm a renter here in this house and my roomate/house owner is away. I have no idea where the hot water heater is to reset it (there is no basement and I can't find it outside or anything).

Well, that's my post. I'm going to have to bite the bullet sometime. This may be the quickest shower of my life....

Emrah

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ride your ZR into the tub, and let it run for 1 hour at 5000rpm. By the time the tank is emptied, the water temperatur should be right for a dip.

Now how do you take an empty tank ZR out of your bath tub?

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Emrah, boil some water on the stove, put it in the tub, enjoy the bath, and tomorrow start looking for another place to live. Been there, done that. I know this from experience, back in 1983, I lived with my grandparents just south of Atlanta, no shower, just an old cast iron tub and hot water was not a commodity there, not very long anyway. The room I slept in had no heat, so I used an elecric blanket. I used to tell Grandpa that my *** was in Miami and my head was in Alaska. Freakin great memories. Tom
Good luck, Emrah

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm cracking up! Tom, it's not THAT bad. I live in a pretty nice part of this area, and the house is pretty sweet. This is only the second time it's happened in about 7 months, so I'm not too worried. Only thing is, all the bills (utilities) are in my roomates name, so even if I could find the numbe to the water people, I won't get very far because I won't know account numbers and such. Arrgh!

Oh, I can identify with you about not having heat in your room. This house gets VERY warm in EVERY single room but mine. I mean, the furnace could be blasting like crazy, you'll be sweating in other rooms - all rooms - but mine is ice cold. Yes, the vents/ducts are open, but very little air flows through them. I guess they're clogged or something. I'm really considering the electric blanket thing, as I use a little electric space heater when I'm in here! I sleep under not 1, but 2 - count 'em - 2 flannel blankets, PLUS my North Face sleeping bag! Yes, it's cold in my room.

Ok, I think I now that I've ingested a bottle of liquid persuasion (or liquid courage, whatever), I think I'm done stalling and I'm going for it.....:mecry: :mecry:

Emrah

·
Registered
499 Posts
water heater

Is the place heated by hot water? Maybe the boiler is out.

Maybe the heater is in the attic.

Maybe in the garage hiding in a closet.

Maybe in the living quarters hiding in a cabinet or under a counter.

I've even seen them out side in the backyard in Phoenix!

Is the water heated by local on demand electric heaters?
Keep looking, it's there somewhere.

Otherwise it's the old heat it on the stove routine.

Or, cold and quick!

Good luck!

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Glad you enjoyed that one Emrah...my Grandpa and Grandma's house (they are both deceased now) was built in the late 1800's, so there were no vents in the bedrooms. The main rooms had the old fashioned gas radiator cast iron grills in them...the ones that you had to stand close to so you could warm your hands when you came inside. Grandma made the best biscuits...so when us boys left the house to play in the old barn or in the woods we stuffed our pockets with Grannys' biscuits. Grandpa's favorite show was "HeeHaw" but of course they only had two channels to watch. My Grandfather was a "sharecropper," had only a second grade education, couldn't read or write, but was one of the smartest person I have ever known. Tom

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Finally found the water heater. It's outside and around the corner of the house, inside a mini-shed that I swear is camouflaged. Anyway, the pilot light is out and I can't reset it. I followed the directions exactly (plus, it's a no-brainer and not the first time I've done it). When you set it so the gas can flow so you can light it, I hear no gas coming, and obviously can't light the pilot. Plus, it's dripping from the inside (it can't be residual rain from last night), and it seems to drop right onto the pilot light of all things.

Anyway, I rummaged through my roomate's pile of bills (no, nothing personal) and found the bill for the gas company and the customer service number.

Long story long, they're coming out "sometime" tomorrow to see what the problem is. At least the thing is outside so I don't need to waste a day sitting here waiting for a service tech to come.

Oh, and I'm holding off on the shower till morning. That will serve the purpose of showering as well as waking me up. Might as well be efficient in a crisis situation, right? :?

Emrah

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Are you sure that's not an old one in a storage shed?? :laugh: Wouldn't that be a riot !!??

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:z :z

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Are you sure that's not an old one in a storage shed?? :laugh: Wouldn't that be a riot !!??

I have a central water heater for the whole building (I live in a 4 plex). It's kinda nice except for sometimes when the all neighbors are showering at the same time as me and then someone decides to throw in a load of laundry along with it.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nah, this sucker was tucked up around a structure along the side of the building. The whole mini-"shed" is green, as is the cover. The whole side of the house is covered in green vines, and it's night time with a flashlight as I try to do it. That's why I missed it the first time around the premises (sp?). I'm 99% certain the hot water heater's broken, (due to the drip) and the gas isn't flowing either (not sure if/how they're related), so I'm happy that I know the problem. The bad part is, I'm not sure how long it will take to fix it (days?) if it is hot water heater. Ugh.

Emrah

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Dude if you can work on your ZR-7 then you will have no problem fixig it. The tools required are few, an adjustable wrench and monkey (pipe) wrench are the main tools. First take your garden hose inside your house to warm it up (assuming it has been laying outside coiled up in the cold). Now find your gas shutoff and close it. Drain your water heater with the hose, disconnect the water lines and gas line then throw the SOB away. Install new heater(use quality pipe dope), check to make sure the vent is where it should be and fire it up(turn the gas back on Homer).
Now pat yourself on the back, send your roommate a hefty bill and have a few beers.
I live in a 1920 something farmhouse that has had all the problems a house could have. Tom I know about the heat thing. I have 1 central source of heat a warm mornning stove(65,000btu) that runs on propane. So some of the rooms stay a tad chilly. But there's nothing like living in the country.

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Sorry dude turn your water off too before you do this.:laugh: My bad
Then when done installing it fill your tank back up with water before you light the pilot. :cool:

·
Registered
989 Posts
I used to wonder why Americans were so profligate with oil.

Then I visited Minneapolis in Winter (1978).

It was minus 30 windchill. When I walked outside, I could feel the hairs in my nostrils freezing up.

Our friends kept a candle in their car, partly on the basis that if they broke down, the heat from the candle would keep them alive.

Now my view is that Americans can use all the oil they want. They need it.

[In case anyone gets the wrong idea, this is a FRIENDLY post]:)

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, before I attempt any repairs myself (I don't even know if he's got a service contract or not), I'll wait to see what the repair guy says.

Oh, and in case you were all wondering, it is now the morning and I have just stepped out of the coldest, most bone-chilling shower I have ever had the displeasure of taking. We're talking 30 seconds here.

In the grand scheme of things though, when you consider we have soldiers dying out in the desert or in some damp dark cave, a little inconvenience such as this isn't really that big of a deal:)

Emrah

1 - 16 of 16 Posts