RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front brake pads needed changing so I bought some new ones. I was expecting to have to remove the caliper at the very least, if not the front wheel. What a bonus to read in the manual that they could be changed without removing anything! I was pleasantly surprised to see how quick and easy those went on. What a great design.

On a side note, one of the four pads was noticeably more worn than the others. Cause for concern?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Ooh, nice!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
What, no pic tutorial??? :D

No idea about the wear, but glad to know it's an easy fix. Just for reference, at what kinda miles did you have to replace them?

·
Registered
197 Posts
One had more wear because you went to the dark side... HA!

I have to consult my service manual because I thought you had to remove the calipers... Good to know you don't!

So which pads did you go with? I know that there's a lot of opinions out there. I personally have liked sintered HH pads from Galfer or EBC that I've used in the past, but was just looking for other options.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I like organic pads. They are easier on the rotors.

Might need to service the caliper where the worn pad was located. Not retracting well when brakes are released is my guess. Lift the front wheel off the ground, spin it and see if there is any extra friction from the brakes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What, no pic tutorial??? :D
It is so easy you don't need one. Page 346 of the VN1500 manual.
12-14 BRAKES
Brake Pads
Front Brake Pad Removal
• Unscrew the pad spring bolts [A], and remove the pad spring .
• Draw out the snap pin [A], and take off the pad pin .
• Remove the brake pads [C].
Front Brake Pad Installation
• Push the caliper pistons in by hand as far as they will go.
• Install the brake pads.
• Install the pad pin and snap pin [A]. The snap pin must be “outside”
of the pads.
• Install the pad spring.
Torque - Front Brake Pad Spring Bolts: 2.9 Nm (0.3 kgm, 26 inlb)
Do not attempt to drive the motorcycle until a full brake lever is
obtained by pumping the brake lever until the pads are against
the disc. The brake will not function on the first application of
the lever if this is not done.

Just for reference, at what kinda miles did you have to replace them?
18K.

I have to consult my service manual because I thought you had to remove the calipers... Good to know you don't!
Rear, yes. Front, no.

So which pads did you go with?
Kevlar.

Not retracting well when brakes are released is my guess. Lift the front wheel off the ground, spin it and see if there is any extra friction from the brakes.
My guess, too. I did, there wasn't.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Uneven wear could mean something is sticking. I'd clean everything real good and ensure both sides move freely. Also bleed everything real good and keep an eye on it for the next thousand miles to see if it starts evening out.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was about to change my pads and was wondering how those Kevlars are on your meanie?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was about to change my pads and was wondering how those Kevlars are on your meanie?
I had EBC sintered pads on it before and, although I'm not the most aggressive rider, they work just as well (and much cheaper).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts