RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, was doing some work in the garage and moved the meanie out. The key went in my back pocket and I have no idea where the hell it is. I know some bikes have key number on them somewhere. I assume I'll need that if I need to call the dealership. Anybody know where I can find the key number on the our Meanies? If it's available?

If not, any other suggestions? Thanks...

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Seems like I remember that the only place on the bike with the lockset number is INSIDE the ignition lock......where you have to have the key to get to it.

Call around to a dealer or two and a locksmith or two.
With the appropriate proof of ownership (title) you should be able to get this fixed.

A spare key or two would have been MUCH cheaper and easier.

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
In the old days, you could cut a key at a dealership. Our machine was horrible and we cut maybe two per year.

I would find a blank, then see what a local locksmith can do. The dealer blanks were expensive, and we would have never considered trying to cut a key you bought else-ware.

A dealer is not a key cutter. You'll get the result you'd expect from such unskilled key cutters.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Get your spare key out of your lock box and go make another couple keys.

Looks like I need to make that my new signature since this is a very related topic.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Get one of these while you are running around looking for spare keys.

MagKeyCas.jpg

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas. The locksmith is here now. He said 200 bucks and he'll cut me a key using the ignition. That's better than the 350 the first guy quoted me AND the 285 from the second guy. He's checking the helmet locks now. Any chance someone knows if the key code is NOT on the helmet locks? Seems like he's taking quite some time to pick that little lock...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ Yup, that would've worked. Well I paid 200 beans and he cut me 2 new keys in less than 24 hours. They both work on all locks and I didn't have to replace anything on the bike - so I'm happy. Thanks for the help fellas.

FYI for anyone who might get stuck in the same predicament: the locksmith never got the key codes but could cut me new keys anyway. There's good news and bad news to that. The bad is: I didn't have to show him proof ownership of the bike so keep your bike secure at all times because people that boost bikes have to know this. And the good news is: if you lose your bike key, don't panic - it's probably easily fixed. Just be sure to call around to several locksmiths. The more you do, the lower the price gets. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts