RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see an excellent silver 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 with 15,777 miles going for $3,820. But it has carbs. How much does it cost to pay a shop
to adjust the carbs properly and when things go wrong? I also like the bike because of its higher handlebars, and I've never ridden a supersport.
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Carbs have been around for over 100 years. As long as you ride the bike you will have no issues with the carbs. If you let it sit up without properly preparing the bike then you can have varnish build up requiring the carbs to be cleaned.

The ZZR600 is the ZX6R from 2000 - 2001 or there abouts. A buddy of mine has one with 40 something thousand miles on it.

With my carb bikes that don't get ridden often, I make sure and have seafoam or stabil in the fuel and I turn off the fuel and run the engine until all the gas is burned so there is nothing sitting in the carb channels to varnish.

The NADA value in my area for a pristine 2006 ZZR600 is $2800. Good luck. At least take it for a test ride and see what it is like. They are fun, but I prefer twins over I-4 engines until the engine gets to 1200cc or larger.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carbs have been around for over 100 years. As long as you ride the bike you will have no issues with the carbs. If you let it sit up without properly preparing the bike then you can have varnish build up requiring the carbs to be cleaned.

The ZZR600 is the ZX6R from 2000 - 2001 or there abouts. A buddy of mine has one with 40 something thousand miles on it.

With my carb bikes that don't get ridden often, I make sure and have seafoam or stabil in the fuel and I turn off the fuel and run the engine until all the gas is burned so there is nothing sitting in the carb channels to varnish.

The NADA value in my area for a pristine 2006 ZZR600 is $2800. Good luck. At least take it for a test ride and see what it is like. They are fun, but I prefer twins over I-4 engines until the engine gets to 1200cc or larger.
Thank you for your reply and the information about carbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a carbed bike also. I agree with TwoWheeladdict, if you let it sit for long periods you may have to rebuild the carbs and replace the fuel lines. Also, carbs do need to get rebuilt every 30k miles. It's not that hard to do, but it is kind of a pain. Also, you have to deal with the choke on a cold engine. Not a big deal, you get used to it. The most important thing for me was to have a good understanding of how carbs work, where and how the fuel is metered in all the different circuits (idle, enrichener-the "choke", the main jet, and the accelerator-if applicable). If you get it and understand it, it's actually quite simple and marvelous piece of engineering. It will also allow you to trouble shoot areas if you have an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 94 ZX9R for many years and now a 2016 N1K. I actually like the carbs more. I did have to learn how to clean and sync them. But once you do, they are smoother and more confidence building than electronic means. I say go for it and watch some youTube videos. Guitar string to clean the small port holes and the jets. Since I did this for years I also purchased a pretty good carb sync tool from the UK (it is killer). The sync tool is still used on carb and fuel injection so it should last a long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts