RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RANT WARNING!

Now that you've been warned:

I was riding along a local road here in Bradenton last week during my time off....For those of you that don't know my ride, I ride a 09 650 with a carbon fiber two bros exhaust.

Anyways....I was riding along 70-80 MPH and I heard my bike suddenly get louder. I thought I may have lost compression in a cylinder or something so I immediatley pulled over and shut the bike down to look what was wrong.

I go to look at my muffler...and its GONE! I walk a few feet down the road and find it...it was mostly intact, but upon further investigation, the fibers seperated from the rivets on the end of the pipe where it connects to the header.

I look on Two Bros website for warranty information, and of course, they do not warranty their carbon fiber products, so im S.O.L.

So I'm out of a $550 exhaust and my bike sounds like a freakin freight train going down the road right now.. I know this was manufacturer defects and not on the installation because the carbon fiber seperated from the rivets that held the can together.

·
Registered
516 Posts
At the rate Two Bros exhausts are falling apart due to rivets; they'll be the next hot mod to buy.

/end sarcasm

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I thought I read about this problem last season?

I've heard bad things about many CF exhausts due to the same problem you experienced and have heard bad things about Two Bros quality in general so combine the two (CF + 2 Bros) and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Sucks for you that there's no warranty on it though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I read about this problem last season?

I've heard bad things about many CF exhausts due to the same problem you experienced and have heard bad things about Two Bros quality in general so combine the two (CF + 2 Bros) and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Sucks for you that there's no warranty on it though.
Yeah all i can hope for is a recall. I'm lucky that it didn't get up under the rear tire and cause me to wreck. I should sue their asses.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Yeah all i can hope for is a recall. I'm lucky that it didn't get up under the rear tire and cause me to wreck. I should sue their asses.
It's a modification you choose to make. Good luck trying to sue.
Now onto the problem at hand.
Carbon mufflers are a crap shoot with this engine.
This is the reason Leo Vince decided back in 05, not to make one.
The exhaust pulse is very strong, thus beating on the canister with
every crack of the throttle.
You are not out the price of the exhaust, you have options.
First being to replace the sleeve.
If you are diplomatic, you might be able to get them to replace it.
My suggestion would be to contact the dealer you bought it from.
They can contact TBR for you. If not, you will need to do that yourself.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Same thing happened to me. They sent me an aluminum can as a replacement but wouldn't reimburse me the difference and still wanted the old pipe back. F that. I sold the aluminum on here and never sent the old one back (thinking about cutting it and re-riveting and buying new mounting hardware).

I have a thread on here somewhere with pics but I think they were linked to my picasaweb which magically erased my photo album.

If you want to send in a complaint letter i'll be glad to sign :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same thing happened to me. They sent me an aluminum can as a replacement but wouldn't reimburse me the difference and still wanted the old pipe back. F that. I sold the aluminum on here and never sent the old one back (thinking about cutting it and re-riveting and buying new mounting hardware).

I have a thread on here somewhere with pics but I think they were linked to my picasaweb which magically erased my photo album.

If you want to send in a complaint letter i'll be glad to sign :)
so basically what you guys are saying is that they KNOW it's a problem and they are compensating? I'm gonna take it to the shop tomorrow and i'd be perfectly happy if they just sent me a new one or even a aluminum or titanium one and reimbursed me the difference..

·
Registered
586 Posts
what about the band that holds the can in the middle? did you not install it?

·
Registered
414 Posts
It is carbon fiber.
Subject to a lot of heat and vibration.
It really is not a surprising issue to me.

Sorry it became a reality as it did to you.
Hopefully there will be some sort of "fix" from 2Bro for ya.

·
Registered
540 Posts
so basically what you guys are saying is that they KNOW it's a problem and they are compensating? I'm gonna take it to the shop tomorrow and i'd be perfectly happy if they just sent me a new one or even a aluminum or titanium one and reimbursed me the difference..
again.. they did NOT reimburse me the difference.

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Banned
679 Posts
sry to hear it bud, that's why i didnt go with two brothers. i did however go with the carbon fiber yoshi...if this happens to me, I will be one unhappy camper.

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Two Bros exhausts fitted to the Ninja 650R (ER-6F) and ER-6N have unfortunately been falling to pieces since they were first introduce in early 2006. The CF ones are particularly bad but the early Alum ones also suffered the same problem. As BRP states the twin configuration pulses set up a vib that is rather hard on exhausts. The vib will quickly loosen any end cap rivets that are not reinforced by internal and external metal bands and then exacerbate that movement and enlarge the rivet holes to the point of complete failure. The old Ninja650R forum had regular post of Two bros issues with this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If this were to happen and you notice it BEFORE it falls all the way off, can you simply cut the tube like a half inch inboard and re-rivet? I've been wondering this. Either way, sorry to hear it. I like the look of the end of the 2 bro can the best of all the big mfg's pipes for this bike and it's the rep/price combo that steered me clear of them. Unfortunate.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate happening. I have the Titanium TBR and havent had any problems. It has been on there for over 10,000 miles. Best advice with whatever exhaust you purchase would be to periodically check the rivets and bolts for tightness.

Just my 2cents

:alcy:hvyjnkr:alcy:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts