RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have your attention, let me state that today, October 23, after months and months of trying, I actually got my -7 on its center stand! Yes folks, it's true. No, no, don't get all misty-eyed now. I know many of you were aware of my inadequacy (sp?) of not being able to get it up on the center stand.

Well, today, after trying for yet another 5 full minutes (after reinstalling the stand which took an hour - that damned exhaust is in the way of everything) I was able to once and for all get the bike on its stupid stand.

Honestly though, it took forever. I finally did get it up but I swear it was a handful :-O) I nearly tipped it on its right side trying to keep balance.

Ok, this story is getting weird. I'm outta here...

Emrah

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
It's really shouldn't be that hard Emrah. If you just concentrate on putting weight on the stand with your foot, then pull the bike back, it should pop right up onto the stand in a very stable fashion. The key is to get all of your weight on the foot that is pressing the stand down, and not try to "rock" the bike back onto the stand. That's what leads to the instability you described. Once the stand is contacting the ground with weight on it, it's almost impossible for the bike to tip because the stand will stabilize it. I can get mine on the stand without even having my other foot on the ground.
Here's what I do:
1)Turn the bars full lock left
2)Grab the left grip with your left hand
3)Grab the left luggage rail with your right hand
4)Press the stand down into the ground with your right foot
5)Press hard with your foot and stand the bike upright, feeling it being held in place by the stand
6)Press all of your weight on the stand with your right foot and gently pull back on the grip and luggage rail
7)Voila!

If you do it right, it will feel like your foot pressure is what's getting the bike up on the stand, not yanking it with your hands. If you do it this way, it's impossible for the bike to tip. Then your only problem is getting it down from the stand! :laugh:

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've found it easier and less off balance if I'm actually on the bike when I put it up on the center stand. I sit on the bike, use 1 foot to bring the stand down then start leveraging, eventually standing completely on the stand, then push down and pull back at the same time. done.

·
Registered
109 Posts
(after reinstalling the stand which took an hour - that damned exhaust is in the way of everything)
The exhaust doesn't really get in the way if you just put the bike up on the centerst....

Oh. Never mind.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're right. I did think of that irony myself as I was cursing the stand when reinstalling it. "Hmm, this would be so much simpler to get underneath if it were up.... Oh, yeah... I forgot. Doh!!!"

Emrah

·
Registered
118 Posts
emrah said:
Now that I have your attention, let me state that today, October 23, after months and months of trying, I actually got my -7 on its center stand!
Big deal. Most of us just take our stands off. :smilewink :laugh: :smilewink

·
Registered
105 Posts
My quick trick goes like this:

1) Put the gear in neutral.
2) Turn the ignition off.
3) Put the side stand down.
4) Get your butt off the seat.
5) Hold the left grip with your left hand.
6) Hold the left grabrail with your right hand, palm up.
7) Lower the centre stand with your right leg.
8) Stop where the centre stand holding the bike in balance.
9) Look to the front of the bike. Do not look over the seat. If you do, you have a better chance of losing the bike over its side.
10) Put all your weight to the centrestand by standing on it, and lifting your left foot off the ground at the same time.

To get it off the centrestand, I do it by sitting on the bike (in neutral) and rock it once or twice with my right hand ready to grap the front brake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts