RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

I got a Special Edition '09 250R.

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  TantalizedMind 
#1 ·
I had been recently been thinking about getting a 600 supersport. But then I thought that's crazy. I already go too fast on the 650R. It doesn't seem fun below 80mph-seems like the bike is barely moving. So I decided it would be better to get a bike that's more fun at lower speeds. And for years I've always wanted the 250R for a second bike. Last Friday my fav Kawi dealer had a new '09 Special Edition green-looked so good. Needless to say, Saturday I took it home. It's the best looking bike I've ever had! Love the paint. It's fun to ride, but kinda frustrasting getting through the engine break in period. It has 250 miles so far-getting there. I haven't rode the 650 since getting it.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been thinking of one of the newer 250's as a second bike for some time now, mostly because they are inexpensive, efficient and most of all super fun to ride. You can tear *** around on a slower bike and have a ball without speeding horribly :)

#3 ·
I can't believe you managed to find a 2009 that was still so new it needed break-in. Hope you got a great price!
All the Next Gen 250's are all the same (except for colors) so be sure to check ninja250.org for most of the info you'll need.

The bike is similar to the 650R but as you're probably noticing it's a lot more fun at lower speeds. It's a blast being able to wring the thing out yet still be close to the legal speed limit.
Don't worry too much about the low rpm limit. Just get the oil out asap and then ride like normal, varying your rpms, until it's time for that first service.
And enjoy its light weight and that nice storage area under the rear seat! I miss mine so much!

#7 ·
It's new-0 miles. A used 2008+ was not much less in price, so I decided to buy new. I changed the oil at 190 miles-gonna do it again at 400, then take it in for 1st service at 600. And storage under the seat-there's just barely enough room for a pair of gloves with the owner's manual removed.

#5 ·
I picked up a '09 250 for the wife last year.... fun little bike. I would assume the origional owner installed a 15 tooth drive sprocket, as 14's came stock. It's a very popular first mod.

May I make a couple suggestions?

Loose the rear fender. And plan on replacing the stock IRC tires, as soon as possible. (I went with BT-003's.)

And join us over at NewNinja.com... It's a forum dedicated to the current model 250R.:wavehand:

#8 ·
I'm looking for a 15 tooth sprocket. The tires-they're staying on until they wear out. Then I'll get better tires. Gotta watch my spending-$$ is kinda tight now. And the only rear rack I've found is the Ventura and it's expensive. I'm going to cut the bottom of the fender off below the license plate and inspection sticker. And I'll check out NewNinja.com. I've been on Ninjette.org-lots more 250 activity over there than here.

#10 ·
Kurt, I registered on newninja.com a few days ago. But have not heard from anyone. If you're denied, will someone email you and let you know?

#14 ·
For a fender eliminator, I just cut it off slightly above the license plate/inspection sticker plate. It looks good enough for me.

#16 ·
woahhh I forgot I even posted on this thread. I usually ignore what pazz says anyways though because his only comments he posts on threads are either disrespectful or not helpful and most cases its both.

I dont have any close ups but here. (the screws that hang down in the first one hold the undertail to the frame, When I bought the bike the guy never had any back there so I just used 2 screws I found in my tool box)

#17 ·
Why did Kawi cover up the beauty of the green paint with those stickers?! AAHH!! Heh. Congrats on the bike. I always wanted to try out the new 250. I was on a wait list for the new model for 1-2 months three summers ago. I was sick of waiting for my dealership to get any in, let alone green! Haha, so I picked up a used green '06 Ninja 500 they had. Year after traded it in for the new 650. I love this bike but it would handle a lot better in curves if I installed sport bars.

One day I'd like to get an older 250 for cheap $ and try to do some wheelies in a closed parking lot. I have ridden for three years and not once have I had the urge or tried to do a wheelie on a public road but I would like to try this classic stunt somewhere where there aren't many people at all in the vicinity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.