RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up on the Virginia Tech campus one afternoon last fall and noted this bike off by itself....

Any help as to what it is??

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
You mean other than an MUZ? They're call MZ now. Looks like a 550cc single from the looks of it (and the vehicle plate)

Emrah

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd never heard of MUZ or MZ. Is it a German manufacturer? Many in the states? I did notice the vehicle tag said "49 State" on the upper right.

Just wondering....

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Yeah, German. Been making motorcycles since the '20's I think. Not real popular here, but they do have several models. Not sure which ones are sold here now. I'm too lazy to search and post pics, but if you do a search, you'll probably recognize a few. Especially that praying mantis-looking thing MZ 1000SF

Emrah

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think MZ used to be in East Germany hence not to well known. They did well in the racing in the fifties and sixties ( I seem to remember a big story about a rider defecting in the moddle of a race). Rotax make engines for a lot of manufacturers, including (Ithink) BMW for their big singles.

·
El Controlador
1,078 Posts
dude i would totally ride that blue yamaha back and forth to work!! how do you get one of those? (and then make it street legal)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
This looks like a somewhat modified Saxon model. I believe MUZ/MZ is a descendant of DKW, and is a German company that was formerly part of East Germany. Rotax is Austrian (?) and makes engines for various bikes, including BMW's thumper models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts