RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
video link:

It happened this morning. can't start the bike even with battery full charged by battery tender.
I have to use other car to jump start it.
Does this mean my battery is no longer functioning or other issues?
how long can i leave the battery tender plug in after it's full? days?
I have bike alarm and GPS tracker hooked to the battery, will that have negative impact to the battery life?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
If it starts when you jump start it then the battery is almost certainly bad.

You can use a volt meter to check the battery voltage. It should be at least 12v when the bike is off. That still may not tell you the whole story as checking with a meter tells you the voltage but not under load. (Think of a 6v lawn tractor battery vs a 9v toy battery. The 9v battery has more voltage, but can't crank over the 6v lawn tractor as it doesn't have the amperage.)

A battery tender can be left on indefinitely. It's design is to keep the battery topped up by a slow trickle charge and then stop charging when it's full so it doesn't overcharge.

Any device that is "on" when the bike is not, alarm and tracker included, will draw power from the battery. It's only an issue if the battery become drained.

If you don't normally have a battery tender on the bike, it could be one of these issues: bad battery (they do go bad over time), alternator / rectifier issue isn't charging the battery when the bike is running, or the add-ons are draining the battery faster than you can recharge it. I'd not think it's a starter or starter relay issue if it starts ok when you boost it.

You should be able to take the battery to an auto parts store and have it checked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

• If it starts when you jump start it then the battery is almost certainly bad.

You can use a volt meter to check the battery voltage. It should be at least 12v when the bike is off. That still may not tell you the whole story as checking with a meter tells you the voltage but not under load. (Think of a 6v lawn tractor battery vs a 9v toy battery. The 9v battery has more voltage, but can't crank over the 6v lawn tractor as it doesn't have the amperage.)

A battery tender can be left on indefinitely. It's design is to keep the battery topped up by a slow trickle charge and then stop charging when it's full so it doesn't overcharge.

Any device that is "on" when the bike is not, alarm and tracker included, will draw power from the battery. It's only an issue if the battery become drained.

If you don't normally have a battery tender on the bike, it could be one of these issues: bad battery (they do go bad over time), alternator / rectifier issue isn't charging the battery when the bike is running, or the add-ons are draining the battery faster than you can recharge it. I'd not think it's a starter or starter relay issue if it starts ok when you boost it.

You should be able to take the battery to an auto parts store and have it checked.

• Thank you for detailed answer. I tested the battery (Not fully charged), I think you are right, battery is bad!

• When the bike is off, around 9.15v

• when the bike is on, drop to 7.x V

• when i plug in the battery tender, it goes up to 10.x V

• no where near the 12v. I 've placed an order for new battery already.

• I am gonna test the voltage again when the battery is fully charged tomorrow.
    20200225_205623.jpg

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Yes, that's too low on any of those readings.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that's too low on any of those readings.
This morning I tested again with fully charged battery. 14v, and i was able to start the bike.
the gps tracker and bike alarm was disconnected from the battery.

This evening I test again, it's 12.4v, I am able to start the bike as well.

I am do the test again tomorrow morning, see how long my battery is gonna last.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Does the bike alarm have an immobiliser ?
That could be malfunctioning. might also help to see if there’s a “drain” on the battery with everything off. Disconnect the negative lead from thebattery and put a test light(any 12v globe, but not a meter as they use shunt resistors) between the negative post and the lead. If it lights up, disconnect each circuit one by one till it goes out. When it does you’ve found your culprit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same exact thing was happening to my 17 650 and someone else's a few months back as well. It would start u after jumpstarting it so I figured it was the battery. But that clicking sound had me confused because it didn't sound like a normal dead battery. In any case, my voltage would drop to about 12.1V with the key on and when cranking it would go to about 9V. I bought a new Yuasa battery but haven't installed it or gone ridding due to trying to just stay home. I currently have my battery on a charger until things get less crazy out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts