RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife has been riding a Suzuki GS500F for about 4 years. When we bought it, we had it lowered 2" front and back because she stands only 5'1" on a good day!
The EX650 was dropped by someone after 2,000 miles and never ridden again. (Broken mirror and very light cosmetic scrape in fairing). Not only is the bike in GREAT shape but it even started on one rotation. I rode the bike 50 miles yesterday and was thoroughly impressed with how nice it was to ride. (I have always ridden Yamaha FJ1100 & 1200 but recently picked up a mint 2008 Triumph Sprint 1050 ST.)

But the problem is the Ninja is very tall for her. Although she did ride it around the block she can't reasonably ride it as is. First time she hits a tough stop on a hill or cambered turn she won't be able to muscle it.

So I purchased a T-Rex lowering link and handlebar risers (to raise the fork tubes) with the intention of lowering the bike about 1" to 1&1/2" front and back and then shaving the seat a little if needed. After reading a few posts here about messing with the fork height on the 650 being detrimental to the handling I though I better touch base first here.

As long as both front and back are lowered equally, does anyone foresee any issues? Note: she does not "ride hard", nor do I. I have ridden GSXR 1000s, etc. but have had too many friends die to get crazy off-the-track. But I love the extra power of the 1000+ cc and she needed to step up, to keep up. I think this 650 is PERFECT for her. She will have 30% more throttle possible but I don't think she will get into trouble with wheelies and such as she might with an inline 4 bike. As it stands right now, it reminds me of her existing ride except stiffer and more power. It handles much like her GS and is super easy to ride.

And thoughts or suggestions?

P.S. Does lowering a bike have any effect on ABS?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm only 5ft and ride the ninja 650krt, she's lowered, and I've never had a problem with her ride, I also had a bit of foam out the seat and I wear daytona ladystar boots which have a 2.5mm built in sole. Get her some boots and go from there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts