RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki ninja650
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Chinese, I own a NINJA 650-2017, and in our country, imported motorcycles are subject to some sort of power reduction in order to comply with local environmental regulations, which we call "castration." Damn it.In China, a ninjA 650-2017 has a pathetic 46KW power. I envy your friends abroad, and you're riding your 51KW ninja motorcycle, and I wonder what I would do if I were to restore my car to 51KW power. Do I need to replace any other parts besides the ECU?The camshaft?Valve top cup?

Attachments

·
Gold Member
572 Posts
Finding information about what is done to reduce the power isn't easy. It is pretty common that the ECU programming is different, and some bikes have been found to have different gearing by way of sprocket tooth count (not Ninja 650, but other models). While I don't know for sure, I would think that the ECU is likely to be the only modification. It wouldn't make financial sense to build the engines differently when a software change could bring the needed result at little cost to Kawasaki. I wonder if there are people near you that have experience in reprogramming the ECU you have now. Or, if you have some form of annual inspection where you need your ECU at the current level, maybe you could order an ECU from another market area that you could swap back and forth as needed. Good luck, and welcome to Riderforums! Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Information seems to be limited about what is done to motorcycles for the Chinese market.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki ninja650
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Finding information about what is done to reduce the power isn't easy. It is pretty common that the ECU programming is different, and some bikes have been found to have different gearing by way of sprocket tooth count (not Ninja 650, but other models). While I don't know for sure, I would think that the ECU is likely to be the only modification. It wouldn't make financial sense to build the engines differently when a software change could bring the needed result at little cost to Kawasaki. I wonder if there are people near you that have experience in reprogramming the ECU you have now. Or, if you have some form of annual inspection where you need your ECU at the current level, maybe you could order an ECU from another market area that you could swap back and forth as needed. Good luck, and welcome to Riderforums! Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Information seems to be limited about what is done to motorcycles for the Chinese market.
Ok, thank you.In China, most of the owners of this car don't like modifications, at least not as crazy as the Ninja 400, so I couldn't find the exact information of this car on Chinese forums.
As you said, Ninja 400 has changed the transmission ratio of ECU and chain drive according to the environmental regulations of Mainland China, but Ninja 400 does not limit the power, but the maximum speed, so the modification strategy of Ninja 400 does not apply to Ninja 650.
I have a colleague who specializes in the development of electronic engine control systems, but he was not involved in the development of the Kawasaki engine electronic injection system.He doesn't have the source code for the Kawasaki engine electrical control system, so there's nothing he can do about it.
But I recently proposed installing a fan (the bypass fan for the model plane) in my empty filter inlet to improve intake efficiency, which would add some intake pressure.He gave me the idea to buy an open source 650CC electronic control system for motorcycle engines on Taobao.Using this system instead of Kawasaki's Denso EFI, he can use this open source system to help me adjust my fuel injection strategy

·
Gold Member
572 Posts
Can you purchase products from Dynojet in China? They are one of the companies that we here in the USA use to modify our EFI and ignition controls. It's basically an add-on controller that you can download different fuel/ignition maps into by way of the internet, and it acts upon your factory ECU. If that's something you can get in China, it may be worth a shot. Dynojet

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki ninja650
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you purchase products from Dynojet in China? They are one of the companies that we here in the USA use to modify our EFI and ignition controls. It's basically an add-on controller that you can download different fuel/ignition maps into by way of the internet, and it acts upon your factory ECU. If that's something you can get in China, it may be worth a shot. Dynojet
I see. I've heard of it before, but I haven't seen anyone install it in Ninja650, but thank you for telling me I have one more option,Using Dynojet will be more reliable than my previous solution。

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm Chinese, I own a NINJA 650-2017, and in our country, imported motorcycles are subject to some sort of power reduction in order to comply with local environmental regulations, which we call "castration." Do I need to replace any other parts besides the ECU?The camshaft?Valve top cup?
For earlier models, Kawasaki used a restrictor on the ECU which can be removed by simply removing the plug on the ECU. They also used a mechanical restrictor (a bolt) on the throttle body. I doubt that they would have spent a lot of time and effort on changing this system for the newer models. From what I have seen online - it's the same process for your model as in the video below.

So, take a look at this video - if it works for you, you have full power at no cost.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki ninja650
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For earlier models, Kawasaki used a restrictor on the ECU which can be removed by simply removing the plug on the ECU. They also used a mechanical restrictor (a bolt) on the throttle body. I doubt that they would have spent a lot of time and effort on changing this system for the newer models. From what I have seen online - it's the same process for your model as in the video below.

So, take a look at this video - if it works for you, you have full power at no cost.

Thank you, I watched the video.The car in the video is 2015 model, and my car is 2017 model, which may not be of high reference value, but I still have time to study it carefully

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Thank you, I watched the video.The car in the video is 2015 model, and my car is 2017 model, which may not be of high reference value, but I still have time to study it carefully
My point is - the ENGINE is still the same, so the process of removing the restrictions will probably be the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts