RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Nathan! I'm new to the forum and this is actually my first post! i added another motorcycle to the garage a few weeks ago and there are some things that i'd like to do to it. In progress performance wise: "the big three" but I will be adding saddlebags, some more chrome, and a backrest in the near future also! My first project is some Jardine forward controls! i have them on my other motorcycle but before i buy another set i would like to throw a leg over a Mean Streak that already has them. if there is anyone in the Des Moines, Iowa area that is willing to help me out and give me some input, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you to all that see and read this!!

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
Hello my name is Nathan! I'm new to the forum and this is actually my first post! i added another motorcycle to the garage a few weeks ago and there are some things that i'd like to do to it. In progress performance wise: "the big three" but I will be adding saddlebags, some more chrome, and a backrest in the near future also! My first project is some Jardine forward controls! i have them on my other motorcycle but before i buy another set i would like to throw a leg over a Mean Streak that already has them. if there is anyone in the Des Moines, Iowa area that is willing to help me out and give me some input, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you to all that see and read this!!
Welcome to the forum lots of good guys on here.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of information here from some good guys.
I'm a new MS owner as well. Rode it down to the DMV last Monday to get it registered, and it's at the paint shop waiting. I've been wondering about those forward controls too. Would like to see what they feel like, but it's a fairly expensive experiment.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
:welcome: To the Forum!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! I think I'll just have to buy them and install them to find out what they feel like haha.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
:welcome::wavehand::wavehand::wavehand:Welcome to the family of modding maniacs!!!

Before spending your money you might want to do some searches/research on the products you want to know about. You will be surprised at what you will learn from the vast knowledge of the members here. Then ask further questions when needed and ask for opinions too. That way you will have far fewer regrets later about your modding choices and products and the amount of money spent.

The further you can stretch your dollar, the more mods you can do...and the more mods you can do, the more modding insane you can become like the rest of us.:dance:

Reactions: foreman

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Welcome. I can't speak to the FC's, but you'll find a great Mean Streak family here. You've got a few mods already planned so you'll fit right in.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Welcome to the forum Nathan, theres lots of good guys on here. And we like pictures so:

:worthless

Enjoy & ride Safe.

Reactions: Vegasmean

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok! here are some pictures of the bike so far!

Performance mods yet to be done: power commander, Forcewinder Intake
Asthetic mods yet to be done: Saddleman Teardrop Saddlebags with edge bracket system, cobra mini sissy bar, Jardine Forward Controls, misc. chrome

any advice or opinions on these parts are more than welcome! is there something that looks better than something else? is there a higher quality part? let me know what you all think!!

Attachments

Reactions: Texas

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Mr Twister, Welcome!

I dont think there are many members here from DM area anymore. Maybe one. Meatballmeanine had a 07 SE with Jardines but sold it. Not sure if it's still in the area. I can get with him and ask where its at. Saw another SE but no Jardines. Best head to Indianola for Walls monthly bike night or Trophies on THursdays. I saw a couple there. Also, there is a chapter of the VRA out there. I think it's being headed up out of Winterset. Might be another resource for you to hook up.

Iowa Vulcan Riders Association USA - Home
VRA Chapters

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Mr Twister, Welcome!

I dont think there are many members here from DM area anymore. Maybe one. Meatballmeanine had a 07 SE with Jardines but sold it. Not sure if it's still in the area. I can get with him and ask where its at. Saw another SE but no Jardines. Best head to Indianola for Walls monthly bike night or Trophies on THursdays. I saw a couple there. Also, there is a chapter of the VRA out there. I think it's being headed up out of Winterset. Might be another resource for you to hook up.

Iowa Vulcan Riders Association USA - Home
VRA Chapters
Great idea Rick.

It would be much better if you could actually sit on a Meanie with Jardines on it to see if it feels right to you, and to make sure the reach is not too far forward for you.
Basically the Jardines set the controls about 6 inches forward and a inch or so upwards.
The other forward controls that have proven themselves are the Mapam's which set the controls around 4 inches forward and up some.
You might want to mention your height and inseam measurement as that helps to determine which set to go with.

Myself personally, I started out thinking that I wanted/needed the Jardines and they would be right for me, but after reading for a couple of hours of the thoughts and experiences of others here I began to question that, especially after measuring my inseam and coming to the realization that I would be stretching to reach the Jardines. The Mapam's were the ones I really needed and the one's I bought.
Unfortunately for me, while I was buying a new set from a member here my son bought another set for me as a gift. So now I have a extra set of Mapam's.:dance:

Chrome accessories, check out Conmar's posts. :swink:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wecome to the forum. As for power adders, I ordered the Dobeck EJK 3.5 and will be installing it over the next couple of weeks. Im going to do a write up on the install and results so we will have some more info to share.
Stay tuned...

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice bike. Check out the list of goodies that our resident parts maker has to offer. fullercnc in the for sale section.

I have Jardine forwards on my bike. Probably the first thing I added to the bike. The stock pegs were way too tight for me.

Also, you might still have time to get in on the low and mean group buy if you are interested in some custom fiberglass parts. IMO the Mean Streak should have come with the full radiator shroud from the factory.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice bike. Check out the list of goodies that our resident parts maker has to offer. fullercnc in the for sale section.

I have Jardine forwards on my bike. Probably the first thing I added to the bike. The stock pegs were way too tight for me.

Also, you might still have time to get in on the low and mean group buy if you are interested in some custom fiberglass parts. IMO the Mean Streak should have come with the full radiator shroud from the factory.
Could not agree more with you about the radiator shroud, makes it look sooooo much better!
I think the 26th is the last day for the killer prices on the Low and Mean parts. Best to buy now if you want any of them.

Reactions: Coachdave

·
Registered
926 Posts
VERY COOL MAN. Welcome. bike looks nice and clean. I see a blank canvas ready and waiting for you. but then again we seem to be MOD addicts around here lol.

Reactions: MassMax

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Nice bike there Mr. Twister...and welcome to the forum. See how many responses and welcomes that have already come in? I see you have the Cobra 2 inch pipes, now all you need is air...you will have to select a breather like the Baron's intake that Massmax and I have on ours. You will have to pull the tank and cut the crossover duct to the left side and plug it off, then get the air kit and install it on the right side. If you order the Baron's air, you will instantly gain more HP and torque, and it comes with the backoff plates you install in place of the reed valves on the cylinders when you remove the smog system. You won't need a power commander, more headaches than you can drum up, not worth the money. I run without one with baron's air, and Cobra pipes, and my bikes screams......the meanstreaks come stock with large injector holes and without the solenoids and sensors from the stock air bowls in place any more, you will get heavier fueling instantly. NO NEED FOR THE COMMANDER. If you have to run a fuel manager, get a Cobra unit...much less fuss, and much easier to to tune. hope this helps in your decisions. now let the modding begin!

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
ok! here are some pictures of the bike so far!

Performance mods yet to be done: power commander, Forcewinder Intake
Asthetic mods yet to be done: Saddleman Teardrop Saddlebags with edge bracket system, cobra mini sissy bar, Jardine Forward Controls, misc. chrome

any advice or opinions on these parts are more than welcome! is there something that looks better than something else? is there a higher quality part? let me know what you all think!!
there's that awesome color again, Looks great, enjoy that scoot.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Nathan, enjoy the new edition to the stable. Buckle yourself in bro and have the wallet at the ready! Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Welcome! I'm 6'2" w a 33" inseam and love my Jardine's, my son is 6' w a shorter inseam and isn't comfortable w his. They will be coming off soon but another member has first dibs. I'll contact you if they decide to pass on them.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts