RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for an early Saturday ride today (10am to Noon).
There was very little wind, surprisingly.
I was caught in several intermittent blasts of heavy rain. Rain felt heavy for 10 minutes and would become drizzle and then stop and then start again.

I did get a chance to test out my new Bridgestone Battlax 023. Very predictable behavior in the wet. No sudden traction changes even when leaned over and braking. Also, the el-cheapo EXL raincoat I bought from Ebay was great. Definitely waterproof and very warm.

All the liquor stores were packed. That's not surprising...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
We shouldnt get hit with the hard stuff till after 12am tonight. They say its going to be around 3am to 8am tomorrow and then will get better as time moves. Wind is down to 75-80, which isnt terrible, but sustained its going to do some damage. Im just hoping the shed i have holds up and the bikes will be fine. Its pretty damn sturdy and heavy so i think everything should be ok.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts
In in Severna Park MD about 20 miles south of Baltimore. It got windy here around 3 and rain was light at times and harder at times. It's been kind of calm the last couple hours. It's getting a little windy again now and I can hear the rain on the chimney cap. The eye is just getting into VA Beach now so it wont be closest to here for a few hours yet. But still the eye will be 100 miles from here. The media hype has been ridiculous.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am in richmond va has been raining and winding since I woke up at 8 this morning the wind and rain have gotten worse as the day has gone on. We lost power around 2 and my neighbors tree fell across my yard barely missing the shed where my bike is stored and is resting on the power lines. Hopefully the storm will be gone soon enough so the clean up can start. It shouldn't be to bad by the time it reaches ny.

sent from my hand held computer

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The hype has been retarded. The only thing Im worried about is the roof of the shed not collapsing in on the bike. Its one of those sheds that you put together, but its mde out of that thick rubber made like plastic. So we will see what happens.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah i think the worse is over, i don't know why we bought so much food and water. A branch broke off our tree, thats about it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Turns out it's not even a hurricane...after all that hub-bub

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think certain states got hit harder than others.
At 8 am this morning, the wind had died down but there was still heavy rain.
At 10 am, the wind and rain were gone and everything was quite calm.
My bike cover got blown away, though. :(

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Well, just use that as an excuse to get it an even better one. Not much damage at all here other then the cities that get heavily flooded. Lodi and hoboken i hear look like swimming pools, but they flood with normal rain showers.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Crazy wind, more than normal rain but we had no damage, flooding or power loss here near New Brunswick (Rutgers' Country) New Jersey. My buddy up in Morris Plains lost power last night and hasn't got it back yet, but I guess if you were near a downed power line it could happen anywhere.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yeah the houses in my town near the passaic river lost power and where evacuated. Never lost power once here. Also over in success and warren counties lots of loss of power from tree branches hitting power lines.

·
Registered
193 Posts
True catastrophe in this country is 9/10's hype, 1/10 reality. Fact. Glad everyone is OK.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Well now the real damage comes in the form of flooding! My co-worker said she had to be evacuated from her Lake Hiawatha home @ about 11:00pm! Got another friend whose property buts against the Passaic river in West Paterson (Woodland Park?) and she has 6 feet in her basement and the Passaic isn't supposed to crest until Tuesday!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hurricane Irene has come and gone, but the rains continue to fall!
It's been raining almost continuously for almost 2 days now...
My waterproof el-cheapo EXL jacket is getting a real workout :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts