RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've spoke from time to time, my bike seems to be one that rattles quite a bit in the cockpit area especially at around 4k rpm. Who knows if it's plastics, or assembly, or maybe my engine vibrates a little more than others. At any rate, this might help some of you out that are searching for elusive rattles. I found two rattles with this method and devised ways to reduce or eliminate them.

Doing it Sherlock Holmes style
So we all have felt around riding. Sometimes this is successful and sometimes not. Here's a tale tale sign of rattles with plastics.

Note the dust around projection. This isn't dust at all. It's plastic that comes from the part vibrating against another part effectively sanding the part as it rattles.

It doesn't show up well in this picture, but sanding dust also accumulated below the mounting bracket.

This is after I wiped the dust off.

Playing Mr. Fixit
In this case I had two issues with this cover. It was vibrating in the metal support at the base, and also then vibrating against the top of the instrument cluster. I chose to drill out the mounting bracket holes and install grommets, and some rubber tube at the top. I didn't want to use something that would hold moisture.

After enlarging these holes and installing the grommets. Make sure you account for the thickness of the grommet when you enlarge the hole.

1" sections of clear tube, sliced. They clamp lightly onto the cover but can pretty easily fall off.

Bracket reinstalled.

With the grommets the cover fit pretty tight, but it's in there. I've rode it a few times now and haven't heard much rattling at this point.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
On the same subject, a trick I use to reproduce that "rattle/buzz" that I'm looking for, is to adjust the idle speed either with the choke, and/or idle speed knob adjustment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get a buddy to hold the throttle at 4k get the rattle then start putting hands on stuff until you isolate it and stop rattle. Then simply tighten bolts or put rubber or felt pads between fairing or what ever and mounting point to stop noise. If it is plastic just rubbing plastic either file or sand down the parts touching so it does not rub or apply clear silicone, if you can do it and keep it clean and out of sight. I have done this on many car and bikes to fix squeaks and rattles over the years. It is usually 2 parts rubbing, or vibrating. Rubbingan be sanded or siliconed or vibrating can be isolates with rubber or felt gaskets between part and mounting point.Hard part is locating those buggers.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Those little "peel and stick" rubber spots used for under lamps, etc. work well, along with 3M foam tape. On hidden edges of plastic or steel, a piece of split vacuum hose will also work as a buffer to tighten/stop contact rattles. Rattles bug the "heck" out of me also.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Those little "peel and stick" rubber spots used for under lamps, etc. work well, along with 3M foam tape. On hidden edges of plastic or steel, a piece of split vacuum hose will also work as a buffer to tighten/stop contact rattles. Rattles bug the "heck" out of me also.
Or you could use a can of anti rattle. One can should do the cockpit area with a little trimming after it's cured... :)

spray-foam-insulation-great-stuff.jpg

It's more of a permanent fix though ;)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
LOL. I used that stuff to fill in rust holes on my hunting jeeps windshield frame, then trimmed and painted it after it dried. Actually worked pretty well. "Redneck" body filler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts