RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I financed my Z through Kawasaki which was ran through a bank called HSBC. In a little under two years I paid the bike off, which was back in June or July, I don't recall which because it was so freakin' long ago :soap:. Title never showed up.

So after a phone call a few months ago, I believe it may of been in October, I talked to a customer service rep who did indeed confirm that I owed nothing more on the bike, and that she would put in some sort of request to so-and-so department to "make sure I get it".

Well here it is Jan 2010 and I still have no title. Today I tried to call again, and maybe its my cell phone, but the number does not want to go through for me. (1-888-662-HSBC). Tomorrow I'll try it on the house phone.

Ok, so I'll e-mail them. And of course I got the response I expected in a letter that basically says I'll get nowhere with email because of client security and all that crap.

What should I do here? Even if the phone number goes through, they're probably gonna tell me the same crap the first time I called. I should never of had to call them in the first place, the bike is paid for, they should send me the title. I've been more than patient and frankly I don't have much of it left. Should I threaten to contact the BBB on them?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Not sure what the laws are in your state.... but have you tried applying for a duplicate title?

That situation you're in sucks, but I think it speaks to the death of the customer service aspect of business in this country over the last two decades.:soap:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
If you haven't already done this, call and ask for a supervisor or manager. Talking to someone a little higher up in the food chain might net better results.

You might also mention that your next calls would be to the BBB, the State of Ohio BMV and the office of Ohio's Attorney General...

·
Registered
705 Posts
If I am not mistaken HSBC is headquarted in England and is an underwriter for a number of banks, the one that underwrote Kawaski is in Ill. I think, no matter what you should get your title. I went the same route in 2006, paid mine off before a year and had my title in less than two weeks.:agree:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I believe HSBC is a Chinese bank HQ'd in England, and this isn't the first post like yours I've seen regarding HSBC. HSBC did send me my title after I paid the "loan" (card) off very early, but last I checked it hasn't informed my DMV that it has released the lien (I'm not too worried as I have the title) and it's been over 5 years since I paid off the card.

BBB is likely a waste of time. Your state should have a Bank Commissioner or similar office-holder who oversees the banks. Your state's Secretary of State or similar office may also have an interest as they typically oversee both domestic and qualified foreign corporations. I'd also let Kawasaki know; it may be interested from a customer-service perspective.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If I am not mistaken HSBC is headquarted in England and is an underwriter for a number of banks, the one that underwrote Kawaski is in Ill. I think, no matter what you should get your title. I went the same route in 2006, paid mine off before a year and had my title in less than two weeks.:agree:

Quite right it's the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation and it's based in the UK. Some years ago they 'took over' our Midland Bank and the service went out the window at the same time as the name !.

·
3,609 Posts
I'm not sure how it works in your state, but in Florida the banks no longer hold a title. When you payoff a loan the bank notifies the Dept. of Motor Vehicles that the lien has been lifted and you go to the local DMV office and they print you a title.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm not sure how it works in your state, but in Florida the banks no longer hold a title. When you payoff a loan the bank notifies the Dept. of Motor Vehicles that the lien has been lifted and you go to the local DMV office and they print you a title.
Hit it on the head.

This is the case in Ohio only I am not even sure if HSBC notifies the BMV. You may also need a letter from HSBC saying its paid off. I forget what the deal was when I looked into it.

I paid my Z off in March 2008 and still haven't cared to do this.

Welcome to Ohio. ODOT needs a few more bucks from you before you can own the bike you paid for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
reporting hsbc is not going to get you anywhere. the bank is a huge international bank, and they could care less about being reported by 1 person. like the posts above. your best bet is to go to the dmv and find out what documents you need produce in order to obtain your title, then get the documents from the bank.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hit it on the head.

This is the case in Ohio only I am not even sure if HSBC notifies the BMV. You may also need a letter from HSBC saying its paid off. I forget what the deal was when I looked into it.

I paid my Z off in March 2008 and still haven't cared to do this.

Welcome to Ohio. ODOT needs a few more bucks from you before you can own the bike you paid for.
I have both a Auto loan and Bike "loan" (hscb ccard) in ohio. Both banks have the actual title until the loan is paid off. Then they mail the actual title to me. Been this way on the last few vehicles ive owned. Though the truck was bought in '07 and the bike in '08.. What they give you at the time of purchase is a memorandum title unless this has changed in the last year... It is not an actual title.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Both banks have the actual title until the loan is paid off. Then they mail the actual title to me.
Then Jason and myself are in trouble cuz neither of us got it mailed to us.

·
Registered
606 Posts
In Kentucky the vehicle owner retaines the title. It will be marked to indicate it has a lean agains it. Once the loan is paid off a letter is sent from the lean holder to the owner. It is the owners responsibility to go to the courthouse, with the letter in hand, to have the lean removed from the title.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I had financing through HSBC when I got my Zed. I hated their system so much that I refinanced the loan through Seattle Metropolitan. I mean come on HSBC didn't even have a way to pay online?! I had to send in a check every month.

Anyway, after I refinanced had the insurance transferred and paid off the last little bit of interest to HSBC they mailed me the registration they had on file.

I would recommend just getting upset at somebody and like previously mentioned, asking for a manager.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
What's weird is that I had zero issues when I was financed through them. I paid the bike off in like 10 months and had a title in hand within 2 weeks. The problem is that they have transitioned to an "electronic title" format (at least in CA) where they don't actually hold the paper titel, and when the account is paid off, an electronic notification is sent to the DMV, who then generates the clear title.

If you keep haivng issues, make sure you wirte down who you speak with, the date and time, and follow up every week. Eventually they'll get tired of talking to you and do the right thing.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, some good advice in here. I'm busy with work right now so I keep having to put this on the back burner. I guess as long as I can ride the bike thats all that matters to me lol....I don't plan on selling it anytime soon.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had financing through HSBC when I got my Zed. I hated their system so much that I refinanced the loan through Seattle Metropolitan. I mean come on HSBC didn't even have a way to pay online?! I had to send in a check every month.

Anyway, after I refinanced had the insurance transferred and paid off the last little bit of interest to HSBC they mailed me the registration they had on file.

I would recommend just getting upset at somebody and like previously mentioned, asking for a manager.
Not that it matters since you re-fi with another bank but just FYI - I pay online through HSBC every month for the kawasaki card. Granted, its a MAJOR pita to find the site if you dont know what your looking for. But its there.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Not that it matters since you re-fi with another bank but just FYI - I pay online through HSBC every month for the kawasaki card. Granted, its a MAJOR pita to find the site if you dont know what your looking for. But its there.
+100

But if you have a standard finance contract as opposed to the card, there is no online option.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yeah? I couldn't find it. I even had to call them once or twice and asked them if there was any way to pay online and they straight up told me no. Maybe they should educate their employees or perhaps the company should notify their customers of this...
Regardless, it would be wise for any perspective bike owner who wants to finance their bike to go get pre-qualified at a different bank or credit union. The interest rates are abysmal with HSBC and since banks need money now they take any loan from people with good credit history and hand out low rates.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.