RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
He was patronizing me about another thread. But whatever, let's just drop it. As for the practical aspect.. if you read Post#36 you'll see that I said the springs are a practical upgrade but I'll be taking it a step further.

On a side note I can already see there is a group of regulars in this forum that like to think of this site as their turf. Its not the first time I've seen and it won't be the last. But I will call you out on your bull**** if you try the "he's my friend, leave him alone" routine. I stated an opinion in the other thread that was shared by others judging by a few likes I received. If we went into the Yamaha R6 forums and started talking about the new ZX6R model and how it might be a "threat" to the R6.. you don't think someone over there would be like "why are you here?" Those Yamaha threads are nothing more than a troll. I called them out on this observation and a couple of them got their feelings hurt.

So lets just drop it, k?

As for this thread.. the springs are a common occurence in the kawi bikes.. or so it seems. So IMO its a practical upgrade for all of us. One guy over in the ZX10R forums even said his OEM springs were painted yellow and that the paint was coming off; naturally it was everywhere inside his system. The slipper clutch is for guys like me who have too much money and free time. If you don't, don't knock the guys who get it. Its our play money and hobbie. If I want to go shoot this bike with a shotgun when it pisses me off, don't get your panties in a bunch because its out of your realm of reason due to finances. $800 is about what I spend on a Friday night out on the town. No big deal. As a comparison, there is a thread on here regarding Pazzo levers in which a new forum member received the same treatment over money. Some guy snapped at him because of the cost of the levers and basically told him he was an idiot for not going with the ebay knock-offs. Get over yourselves!

Now then.. back on topic?
For the record I dotn call anyone a friend that I have not actually met. So no I will not defend A Piazza or anyone for that matter just cause "he is my friend". If he is correct though, or if we share the same opinion then of course. Thats called "agreeing" and I happen to agree with what he stated.

On what he stated, he already mentioned if you have the money, then go for it. Still does not make it a practical upgrade.

I would like to see where you saw that thread on one guy being called an idiot. This forum has had a far more respectful community than many others that I have seen. This thread on levers you speak of sounds like one I replied in and if you are referencing me, then you are mistaken.

Congrats on having money to spend. No one is knocking that. Please show me where that happened here since you feel someone is "knocking" you. Just cause you have the means to purchase an $800 dollar clutch doesnt make it practical.

Where have I or anyoen else for that matter gotten our panties in a bunch cause you talked about but not actually bought a slipper clutch? No one cares if you can afford it or not, good on you man, install it, show the world! No one is telling you not to buy them, I am sure no one will knock you for it. All I did was say its not a practical upgrade, and you cant seem to get that through your head.

Seems to me like you just want to talk about how much money you have at your disposal. Again, congrats. Why not just buy all this stuff and show a pic of your bike?

Back on topic? The aftermarket (Barnett or other) clutch springs are a great item if you are experiencing slippage. Its an easy install except for scraping gasket material sucks as$. Calling a slipper clutch a practical upgrade because you have the money for it but dont have an actual use for it doesnt make it a practical upgrade.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I am not sure there really is a clutch spring issue on the 650R. There may be some occasional inconsistency but I believe that was more on the Gen 1. I switched mine and after about 2K miles, all I can say is the lever pull is a bit harder. I have not seen any actual benefits accelerating.

As for the ZX10R thread, it looks like a lot of people call the guy out on the widespread issue comment. It looks like an isolated incident.

As for the slipper clutch, the new ZX6R has less and lighter springs with their new design while we are putting in stiffer ones. Obviously design has a lot to do with it. I think a slipper clutch could be a nice addition on the track because its just one less thing you have to fully focus on. When you think about it, every time you try to eek out more performance, the cost tends to go up exponentially and this is one of those things.

Do I think the cost is worth the benefit? Well, I have not bought one yet and have pretty much decided not to. For the two tracks in my area, there is really only one spot that requires heavy braking and downshifting while one other spot is a little less. That may save .5 seconds and if I was racing, that does matter. If I was near a track with more heavy braking zones, my opinion could change. The 650R is not a fast enough bike.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am not sure there really is a clutch spring issue on the 650R. There may be some occasional inconsistency but I believe that was more on the Gen 1. I switched mine and after about 2K miles, all I can say is the lever pull is a bit harder. I have not seen any actual benefits accelerating.

As for the ZX10R thread, it looks like a lot of people call the guy out on the widespread issue comment. It looks like an isolated incident.

As for the slipper clutch, the new ZX6R has less and lighter springs with their new design while we are putting in stiffer ones. Obviously design has a lot to do with it. I think a slipper clutch could be a nice addition on the track because its just one less thing you have to fully focus on. When you think about it, every time you try to eek out more performance, the cost tends to go up exponentially and this is one of those things.

Do I think the cost is worth the benefit? Well, I have not bought one yet and have pretty much decided not to. For the two tracks in my area, there is really only one spot that requires heavy braking and downshifting while one other spot is a little less. That may save .5 seconds and if I was racing, that does matter. If I was near a track with more heavy braking zones, my opinion could change. The 650R is not a fast enough bike.
I agree with you 100%. If you throw in a slipper its just cuz you have the money and you just want to make a little dream machine out of a 650. I don't really think the gain to cost ratio is worth it.. but its one of those self-happiness things. If it makes you feel better knowing you have it.. go for it.

And it might be interesting to start a poll thread to see what years of the bike experienced slippage/inconsistency on the oem clutch. Perhaps we would learn that it was isolated to a certain run? Idk.

For the record, I just bought new springs for my 2013 since I'm trying to knock out all the mods before ever putting the first mile on it. This thread convinced me to go ahead and knock it out so.. thanks. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Back on topic? The aftermarket (Barnett or other) clutch springs are a great item if you are experiencing slippage. Its an easy install except for scraping gasket material sucks as$. Calling a slipper clutch a practical upgrade because you have the money for it but dont have an actual use for it doesnt make it a practical upgrade.
Truth. This is true. The slipper falls under the 'bells & whistles' category. but that's what i was trying to explain to you; that i didn't mean to infer the slipper clutch was a practical upgrade.. just the springs. sorry for the confusion.

But I've been bouncing around to different forums for different street bikes and its not just our babies. Some Yamaha & Suzuki bikes have this same thread believe it or not. All of these manufacturers probably just get their springs from the same factory and all of them are probably very similar on tension. Just my guess.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Truth. This is true. The slipper falls under the 'bells & whistles' category. but that's what i was trying to explain to you; that i didn't mean to infer the slipper clutch was a practical upgrade.. just the springs. sorry for the confusion.

But I've been bouncing around to different forums for different street bikes and its not just our babies. Some Yamaha & Suzuki bikes have this same thread believe it or not. All of these manufacturers probably just get their springs from the same factory and all of them are probably very similar on tension. Just my guess.
Well you only made me stress it like 8 times in the same reply. You then said go see post 36 or something and that really didnt mention anything abut you saying the clutch springs are practical, not the slipper.

Your zero mile bike should be fine with its stock clutch springs, I dont see why you would waste perfectly good springs, but if you are just going to throw them away I am sure alot of people here would want them lol. Plus that paper gasket sh!t is probably the least amount of fun working on with any bike.

When I get better at riding and actually need to shave half a second I would buy a slipper.

Ive only got 6000 miles in this 9 month old bike and highly doubt I am losing anything to slippage. The other sites you read into, were they mentioning slippage with new bikes? Cause the older the bike is, or more specifically, the more the clutch has been used, the more prone it is to slippage. Springs get worn out from use.

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
My only "issue" with this mod is that I just did an oil change and don't want to drain/refill...not to mention I got RP quarts for $9!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
If it's on the side stand, you shouldn't lose any oil.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Really? I've heard the opposite. Interesting. Thanks. I have some springs on the way!
Where did you hear that? The clutch side is to the right and when the bike is on the stand it tilts left, making all the oil drain/move to that side, which lets you do the mod as-is without a need to drain, as long as you dont have a sudden need to move the bike to a different location before completing the mod.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Where did you hear that? The clutch side is to the right and when the bike is on the stand it tilts left, making all the oil drain/move to that side, which lets you do the mod as-is without a need to drain, as long as you dont have a sudden need to move the bike to a different location before completing the mod.
Any new gaskets required?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I had to replace mine. Others have stated they did not. You should get one just in case as they are not that expensive.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I also had to replace mine. I mentioned this before but scraping old gasket is my least favorite maintenance action.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I also had to replace mine. I mentioned this before but scraping old gasket is my least favorite maintenance action.
I just replaced my clutch springs. God damn, if I ever have to bring a razorblade to gasket flakes ever again I'll be very disappointed.

Moving on, I'll do a quick writeup here. I opted for the barnett mt5505050fivezerofive5 springs instead of Gary's stronger special springs. The reason being; I don't plan on spending any money on power upgrades (still saving up for more suspension... stock exhaust is fine), and my clutch slipping is pretty minimal. I suspected that the +10% springs would be adequate to solve my slippage, and I was right. Riding around tonight, it seemed pretty clear that the +18% springs would have been overkill with stock fueling. This is perfect because the clutch pull doesn't feel any heavier. I would have been fine with the heavier resistance, but I find the easy clutch to be convenient.

I will admit that the differences are very minimal, though still very worth the cost. The bike feels on point with acceleration; hard acceleration with stock springs was analogous to running in sand in comparison. Still, it's a very subtle sensation because it's not like the clutch was slipping all the time. The friction zone boundaries feel more defined. I anticipated something like this, and I wasn't sure if I would like it or care or whatever, but it does feel nicer.

I'd consider Gary's springs a performance upgrade and the standard Barnett springs to be the necessary bare minimum. No reason not to get these. It was the most mechanically involved thing I've done so far, too. A very nice stepping stone forward after removing and remounting my rear wheel :p

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Lol how long scraping? I hate when you are like " it'll come off easy" and an hour later you are still scraping.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Theres also no law that prevents a person from draining oil, then refilling it..no need for a change!

Dont forget, you can alternate stiff-soft springs aroung the circle. It works amazingly well.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts