RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
So roughly how many turns would get me to spec as i dont have a torque bar currently. And ive got this along with 636 forks going in at the same time sooooo yup any help would be awesome! Thanx

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
So roughly how many turns would get me to spec as i dont have a torque bar currently. And ive got this along with 636 forks going in at the same time sooooo yup any help would be awesome! Thanx
Abaker13,

So are you asking a member to run out to his machine (which many of us would gladly do under different circumstances) pull out a case screw, and painstakingly "COUNT" the number if turns (would you like that in 1/4 units or 10th's of an inch) until proper torque is reached...........?????

I'm interested in doing this Mod as many Site Elders and Supreme Beings have said, it is an absolute night and day differance, but I'm not sure I have the patience to count turns for you my Forum Friend. Do you have any children Perhaps?

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gotta friend from the motor pool who had a torque wrench and i was meaning like whole turns. Didnt need to be a ****. And yes I have one kid and one otw.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It really doesn't go by the number of turns, it's the amount of force you have on it when you stop turning the bolts. That's what a torque wrench allows you to gauge.
7.25 ft/lbs of torque is what you would have if your wrench were one foot long and you applied 7.25 pounds of force on the very end of it until the bolt got tight enough to stop turning.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Gotta friend from the motor pool who had a torque wrench and i was meaning like whole turns. Didnt need to be a ****. And yes I have one kid and one otw.
Excellent on the Torque wrench Score, which base are you assigned to? Don't tell me Hickam AFB, as I miss that place too!!!.

On a personal note, could you go over to my favorite plate lunch Korean Barbeque called SOON's and order me a Meat Jun with rice and sprouts please!!!! Crap I miss Hawaii!!! I miss surfing, and scuba diving, and the local girls!!!! Oh yes, ALOHA!!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Excellent on the Torque wrench Score, which base are you assigned to? Don't tell me Hickam AFB, as I miss that place too!!!.

On a personal note, could you go over to my favorite plate lunch Korean Barbeque called SOON's and order me a Meat Jun with rice and sprouts please!!!! Crap I miss Hawaii!!! I miss surfing, and scuba diving, and the local girls!!!! Oh yes, ALOHA!!!!

Cheers
I realize it's an old thread but I was researching replacing the clutch springs on my new (to me) 2007 and just had to add - Soon's!? Seriously, how small are those islands? Haha, I was in the Navy and then also worked as a gov't contractor for a while down in Hawaii and Soon's was the place to get Meat Jun! Haha, small world!

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
You knwo what works really well on these? Aftermarket springs are often stronger and require more force to move..obvious, right?

You can alternate springs, every other, with a stronger one. One kawasaki, the next barnett, and so on, right around the dial. You'll get improved clutch action, but the pull wont change as much. Its works well. Probably smart not to group the strong ones together, alternate.

The Barnett springs are often silly strong to keep their junk carbon fiber plates from slipping.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
$15 vs $850.

·
Registered
159 Posts
$15 vs $850.
True but in terms of performance.. ya know? Just comes down to the wallet and the individuals preference.

Also, I just read this in an article about Kawasaki making a 650 track ready; and it doesn't seem like a bad idea.

"...A couple of things to note: CRG doesn't currently offer levers for the Ninja, but Kawasaki had apparently swapped the 650's clutch perch and master cylinder for a set of ZX-6R pieces, which ultimately opened the door for such accessories. A similar modification would appear to be extremely beneficial for all Ninja 650 owners."

Combined with the slipper clutch:
Ninja 650 (ER-6) Slipper Clutch

Seems like a winning combo to me.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I can't say that I really agree. I've learn to overcome the engine braking a bit. Brake later and roll on sooner. Hell the engine braking is like free trail braking. If it is a circuit race bike in the twin class then maybe, but I don't see investing that kind of money as a weekend warrior. To each their own.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
You also mentioned in the other thread that if you want a little extra power to just go with a zx-6r. I fail to see how this argument is any different. If you want all the features of a zx, just buy one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
True. And I stand by that. However, that was someone comparing an entirely different class of bike to ours. That also happened to be from an entirely different manufacturer. That whole thread was just one big troll.

Here we're talking on point about a clutch upgrade; something that kawasaki has been having issues with. There are multiple instances of the clutch failing on the ZX10R, for example. So I say that if you're going to upgrade this part of the bike.. go all out. Its worth it.

A couple of easy links to find:

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=118473

http://youtu.be/IqRE7hfw44w

The first link also confirms the weak OEM springs for the clutch; on the ZX10R. Probably true of all Kawasaki bikes.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
You continue to compare two different (drastically) bikes. High horsepower/high torque vs. low horsepower/low torque. The clutch demands are completely different. The return on investment (ROI) of $15 clutch springs is pretty high (not to mention a low risk investment), but it's really low on a $850 slipper. Unless of course it's a racing application.

How many miles do you have on the 650 with stock springs vs 650 with upgraded springs vs a 650 with a slipper clutch?

Man I got sucked into a trolling argument.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Man I got sucked into a trolling argument.
See Post#33

It is you, Sir, who are the instigator in this "argument" of yours. I feel I made a very valid point on both cases. There seems to be an issue across a few different models of the Kawasaki line when it comes to clutch springs. I think it stands to reason that replacing them in any Kawasaki bike will do the rider good. But for me, I'll be taking it one step further and installing a slipper. As I stated in Post#31, it just boils down to each individual's preference and their financial situation.

Lastly, here's a link to a product you might need:
Tampax Essentials

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
What about 33? I just noted your inconsistency of opinion. I don't think that's unreasonable, and you fairly said you stand by that opinion in that case.

Purely my point is: If the springs feel week, replace the springs. You won't see the benefit of a slipper in day to day riding that warrants that kind of investment when a small one will get to the root of your issue. If your pockets are that deep and you feel like spending all that money, go for it. No skin off my back.

Lastly, grow up. A pms reference? Are you 12? If you can't take someone else's opinion don't post yours. We strive to keep this a respectful forum.

P.S. You never did answer about the number of miles. If you have some kind of life long experience that makes you knowledgeable, by all means share it. That wasn't intended to be some sort of insult.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What about 33? I just noted your inconsistency of opinion. I don't think that's unreasonable, and you fairly said you stand by that opinion in that case.

Purely my point is: If the springs feel week, replace the springs. You won't see the benefit of a slipper in day to day riding that warrants that kind of investment when a small one will get to the root of your issue. If your pockets are that deep and you feel like spending all that money, go for it. No skin off my back.

Lastly, grow up. A pms reference? Are you 12? If you can't take someone else's opinion don't post yours. We strive to keep this a respectful forum.

P.S. You never did answer about the number of miles. If you have some kind of life long experience that makes you knowledgeable, by all means share it. That wasn't intended to be some sort of insult.
I believe anyone following this thread can clearly see that it was you who went on the offensive. There is no inconsistency in my opinion. Comparing two completely different bikes is not the same thing as a practical upgrade of components. I think you're confused on that point. Furthermore, I believe anyone reading our posts can clearly tell whose being polite and whose being 12yo. So I'm not worried about it. Have yourself a wonderful day, sir. :righton:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Why not just throw one of these in your bike? Seems like the benefits would be better.

Ninja 650 (ER-6) Slipper Clutch
How is comparing a replacement set of clutch springs even comparable to a slipper clutch?

The benefits of replacing springs are if your old ones got weak over time and you are experiencing slippage, the newer stronger springs obviously will remedy that.

The yoyodyne still operates on clutch springs? If those are also weak, then the slippage you were seeing with the weak springs would also be the same, whether you had a slipper or a normal clutch correct?

I believe anyone following this thread can clearly see that it was you who went on the offensive. There is no inconsistency in my opinion. Comparing two completely different bikes is not the same thing as a practical upgrade of components. I think you're confused on that point. Furthermore, I believe anyone reading our posts can clearly tell whose being polite and whose being 12yo. So I'm not worried about it. Have yourself a wonderful day, sir. :righton:
I am following the thread and I do not want to sound like I am siding for A_Piazza though I would in a heart beat since his posts are typically well thought out and useful. How exactly did he go "on the offensive"? Because his opinion didnt agree with yours?

I also would hardly call a slipper clutch upgrade as a "practical" upgrade unless, as he mentioned, you are on the track alot, or perhaps are a very hardcore canyon rider. If you have the money, by all means have at it. Labeling a slipper clutch a "practical upgrade of components" is going a bit far.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am following the thread and I do not want to sound like I am siding for A_Piazza though I would in a heart beat since his posts are typically well thought out and useful. How exactly did he go "on the offensive"? Because his opinion didnt agree with yours?

I also would hardly call a slipper clutch upgrade as a "practical" upgrade unless, as he mentioned, you are on the track alot, or perhaps are a very hardcore canyon rider. If you have the money, by all means have at it. Labeling a slipper clutch a "practical upgrade of components" is going a bit far.
He was patronizing me about another thread. But whatever, let's just drop it. As for the practical aspect.. if you read Post#36 you'll see that I said the springs are a practical upgrade but I'll be taking it a step further.

On a side note I can already see there is a group of regulars in this forum that like to think of this site as their turf. Its not the first time I've seen and it won't be the last. But I will call you out on your bull**** if you try the "he's my friend, leave him alone" routine. I stated an opinion in the other thread that was shared by others judging by a few likes I received. If we went into the Yamaha R6 forums and started talking about the new ZX6R model and how it might be a "threat" to the R6.. you don't think someone over there would be like "why are you here?" Those Yamaha threads are nothing more than a troll. I called them out on this observation and a couple of them got their feelings hurt.

So lets just drop it, k?

As for this thread.. the springs are a common occurence in the kawi bikes.. or so it seems. So IMO its a practical upgrade for all of us. One guy over in the ZX10R forums even said his OEM springs were painted yellow and that the paint was coming off; naturally it was everywhere inside his system. The slipper clutch is for guys like me who have too much money and free time. If you don't, don't knock the guys who get it. Its our play money and hobbie. If I want to go shoot this bike with a shotgun when it pisses me off, don't get your panties in a bunch because its out of your realm of reason due to finances. $800 is about what I spend on a Friday night out on the town. No big deal. As a comparison, there is a thread on here regarding Pazzo levers in which a new forum member received the same treatment over money. Some guy snapped at him because of the cost of the levers and basically told him he was an idiot for not going with the ebay knock-offs. Get over yourselves!

Now then.. back on topic?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts