RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lesson I.

I have been asked to describe the steps to insert a picture into a message.

It is really easy if the picture is already on another web site. Here are the steps.

1) Right click on the picture
2) Click Properties
3) Highlight the Address
4) Copy Address by pressing CTRL-C
5) Start new message
6) Type
7) Paste Address by pressing CTRL-V
8) Type [ /img ] <-- no spaces
9) Post message

For example:
[img]http://www.zr-7.com/Images/pageheader.jpg[ /img ]

Please note the example above shows [ /img ] but when you do it don't put spaces in.

Goto ZR-7.com, locate the motorcycle in the top left hand corner. Follow the steps above. You should be able to insert a picture into a message.

Andy

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Lesson II.

To insert a picture that you have created into a message is a lot more difficult. The problem is the picture is located on your harddisk, not on the internet at a website.

How can you put a picture located on your harddisk to a website? There are several ways. Here is one way.

When you got a dial-up account it most likely included a web site for you to use. Call your ISP and ask them what your address is to your personal web site.

For example, if you have an account with Earthlink then your account for your web site might be something like:
http://www.earthlink/users/personal/accountid

Some ISP's will not allow you to directly copy files to your own web site and require you to use their own program to create a web page. This will work. Just follow the instructions to copy a picture to your personal web site. Call technical support for help.

Other ISP's allow you to copy files directly from Internet Explorer to your personal web site. If you can, then you should be able to put your personal web address into the "Address" line on your browser. However you need to substitute ftp instead of http.

For example, ftp://earthlink.com/users/personal/accountid
You will then be asked for your password. Then you will see a file directory. If you got this far, then you can Copy and Paste a GIF or JPG file into your personal web directory.

Now you can follow the steps in the first lesson to insert a picture into a message.

Now wasn't that easy... Yeah right. I know it sounds impossible and it practically is. But you can do it. It will take time. I'm here to help. Good luck.

Andy

·
Registered
988 Posts
Isn't it a lot easier than that to get a picture from your hard drive into a post? When creating a reply or post, look near the bottom LHS for the words "Attach file". Just to the right of this you can press the "browse" button to find the picture you want, then just double click on it. It appears in your post as a link. Eg.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Forgot to say ...

(1) Apologies to Jarel for stealing his cat :)

(2) You are limited to around 100K in size for the picture

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Scott,

You are correct, that is how you can make a link (to a picture) in the message. However others wanted to know how to insert a picture NOT a link.

Andy

·
Registered
988 Posts
Probably best to use links since it takes less time for those with slower modems to see the page (but I've been guily of posting large pictures myself so I can't really talk)

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Links do take less time to load for those that still have dial-up modems. From my pole regarding "What connection do you have" it appears that almost half of the active users use high speed connections. Hey if we really wanted to go backwards we could just snail mail our messages.

Last week when I was at my parents house I logged on with a dial-up. All I can say is DSL is GREAT!

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts