RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone will have to deal with a cop at one point or another. It's just one of those things that comes with living life. If you have yet to experience being pulled over. You should firstly thank yourself for making it for so long. Lastly, consider the worst.

The only way to come out victorious when you are being pursued for crimes committed, is to be prepared. Preparation is critical, unless you are inclined to get away anyways.

For example, i'm going to illustrate MY method when prompted for a normal traffic stop.

A. Flashing lights are on behind you and/or that iconic siren, indicating that you need to pull over.

1. You should take your time to pull over slowly.
2. Look carefully before making any lane changes.
3. Use BOTH of your signals. Hands and indicator lights simultaneously.
4. Maintain control of your bike and posture. Do not ride sloppy or dangerously.

B. You are over the yellow line on the shoulder of the road. Just arriving at a complete stop and the bike is in first gear.

1. Turn your bike off FIRST.
2. Rest your hands on the tank.
3. Wait for the officer to either walk up to you, or call you back to the squad car.
4. Take off your helmet and unzip your jacket.
5. Wait for the officer to ask you for documentation, do not offer anything unless asked to.
6. Be cool, don't be a douche.
7. Come up with the best excuse you can for whatever you are being pulled over for. You have to understand your own skill level for BSing. If you are not good at it, your best bet is to be HONEST.
8. Ask the cop if he rides a motorcycle too. Trust me, this is really important.
9. Accept whatever ticket or citation the cop gives you. Be extremely humble, and thank them for being considerate, going easy on you, etc.. Even if they are completely unprofessional, or even if you end up in jail.

C. Assuming you are free to go. You can now mount your bike and prepare to go about the rest of your life.

1. You must take your time when pulling into traffic. For both safety, and so you don't look like an @ss.
2. Use your turn signals. Both your hand and indicator light.
3. Roll away smooth, don't accelerate to 50 in 1st gear.
4. Continue with the flow of traffic.

There are probably millions of different ways to handle a traffic stop. This is just one of them. Please post your own ideas or suggestions for handling cops. Following some of these rules, I have gotten away with far more than justice would approve. :FIREdevil

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I have been pulled 5 or 6 times and only got a ticket the last time (speeding 80 in a 65). I agree with everything you listed. Staying relaxed is key. I no longer have the fear that is usually associated with getting pulled over, so having a normal heart rate helps me be cool and not get jittery and nervous. There was nothing I could do at the last stop, the officer was going to write me a citation no matter what. It didn't matter that I was wearing a suit and tie under my gear and just came from a funeral of a fellow rider. He actually admonished me for wearing ear protection when I told him I needed a second to take off my helmet because I couldn't hear him over the highway traffic!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I told him I needed a second to take off my helmet because I couldn't hear him over the highway traffic!
I once drove 1/2 a mile with a cop behind me with his lights and siren on. I didn't even see him or hear him. He wasn't pissed either.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Instead of trying to spit game, try being honest. It's amazing what that'll do. Couple that with the fact that you actually pulled over, you should be in good shape.

Here are some things NOT to say:

Don't you have anything better to do? Usually, there is a group of officers assigned to traffic duty, so NO, they are doing exactly what their job is.

What the f*** are you pulling me over for?!! The nice LEO will tell you in due course. Being rude or aggressive guarantees you're going to get cited for everything they can think of / spot.

Can I just get a warning? A LOT of times, the LEO will ahve already made up their mind whether or not to cite you before you even speak. If they are on the fence, this is virtually guaranteed to get you a ticket.

I got pulled over by the CHP for:

speeding
Weaving in and out of traffic
non-DOT rear signals
headphones in both ears

And the guy let me go. Either he had a hot call come in, or the fact that I pulled over before he actually got right behind me, IDK. It was clear he was gunning for me, since he came flying out of traffic, and I was the only vehicle in front of him. He started the conversation by saying "Calm down, I'm only going to give you warnings" before my helmet was even all the way off. Way cool outcome IMO.

Spend some time over at the LEO forum - it will give you a very good insight into the mind of a LEO. Bonus - you can also post questions in the "Ask A Cop" section, and get answers from them. Brutally honest answers at that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I got pulled over by the CHP for:

speeding
Weaving in and out of traffic
non-DOT rear signals
headphones in both ears

And the guy let me go. Either he had a hot call come in, or the fact that I pulled over before he actually got right behind me, IDK. It was clear he was gunning for me, since he came flying out of traffic, and I was the only vehicle in front of him. He started the conversation by saying "Calm down, I'm only going to give you warnings" before my helmet was even all the way off. Way cool outcome IMO.
That has saved me numerous times. If you see a LEO, KNOW you are caught, pull over as soon as they pull out when you see a safe spot (before blues if at all possible). I've gone so far as pulling in between two cops after coming speeding out of a tunnel. Each time always ends in a slow down verbal warning, and the cops commending my honesty as they are use to running down bikes in downtown chattanooga. Once even in my car late at night (3AM) speeding down the intersate, NOTHING in site running open 90-95... saw brakes lights in the median come on out of nowhere and because there was nothing else around IMMEDIATELY pulled over, shut down the car, and left the lights on for him, Same as the above outcomes.. slow down be careful.

·
West Coast Moderator
13,030 Posts
And a "sure fire" way is to stay within the posted limits and laws. I've never been pulled over for driving and riding within the law.

·
Registered
670 Posts
And a "sure fire" way is to stay within the posted limits and laws. I've never been pulled over for driving and riding within the law.
Im a Sheriff's deputy of 16yrs and I approve this message.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm a smartass and I know this wouldn't exactly be the best thing to say to a L.E.O. but I want to for some reason. Now, I do not want to get myself in trouble, but if/when I do get pulled over on the bike and I get the .."Do you know why I pulled you over" line I'm gonna say "It's because I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, huh??" :killingme

Seriously though, when I'm busted I know I'm wrong and have to deal with it. I have always tried to be as polite/cooperative as possible and just let them do their job. Im already in trouble..why make it worse. I've actually had a few police/sherrifs thank me for not being a D-bag and ruining their night.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I agree 100% with rogueelite and Martin. Your best bet is to remain calm and cool. Be polite and keep your hands out in the open. Also, make sure you know the laws in the state you're in concerning notifying LEOs if you're carrying a concealed weapon.

I've been pulled over for speeding about 10 times, most in the car but twice on the bike. I think I got a warning once, the rest of the time I got tickets. It didn't matter whether I was nice, polite and honest - which I was just about every time - or a jerk, which I'll admit to once or twice when I was much younger.

Don't know about other states, but here in Ohio it seems like once you've gotten a ticket or two they will not cut you any slack. That's especially true since the economy took a nose dive and Ohio's tax revenues dropped. And it's not just me saying that - many people here believe this to be true. My last tickets were in the spring and fall of '06 (A bad year, lol.) so last year (summer of '09)...

On my way back from a funeral in Indiana, over the limit on a 2-lane road, dressed in full gear and a hi-viz yellow vest, I got stopped by an Ohio trooper. I pulled over immediately, told the officer I was legally carrying, produced my CCW permit and the required documents, was polite, explained I was on my way home and from where...and still got a ticket. Once the LEO knew I had tickets within the last few years my fate was sealed. I honestly don't think I was going as fast as he said, but I'd already taken 2 days off for the funeral and couldn't afford to take another one off to go fight the ticket, so I mailed the check in by the required date.

I've slowed down a bit, especially on 2-lane roads, and cruise around the speed limit on city streets. I still go kind of quick on freeways, including during my morning and afternoon commutes, but otherwise I stay within 10% of the limit most of the time.

Though I've been ticketed several times, I will happily say most of the officers I've dealt with have been courteous and professional. I know it's a PITA and thankless job handing out citations, but most of them handle it well IMO.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I got pulled over about 2 months ago and basically did what rogue said. Here's the funny part and it got me off the hook. He did ask me, "Do you know why I pulled you over?". My answer, "Because i'm to sexy for this bike?". He started laughing and laughing hard and said, "Get on your bike, this stop never happened". I called my wife right after and she nearly choked. I was speeding a little, nothing seriously over the limit, and I knew it. Sometimes some humor will help too!!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Here's how I handle traffic stops:

I prevent them.

I use sound judgement, if the environment looks like it may have cops in it, I don't speed and act stupid - also, if it looks like there may be cops around, most likely it's not a good place to horse around anyway. Additionally, if I am above the speed limit, I'm not so overboard that I can't just give the brakes a quick tap and be right back where I should.

If I really want to go out and run WFO, I go to the drag strip or jump on a track day.

This has worked for me over the last 23 years - no tickets and I've never been pulled over on any bike.

·
Registered
645 Posts
2. Rest your hands on the tank.
2. Use your turn signals. Both your hand and indicator light.
I asked a retired officer I work with about doing stuff like this. (Things like flipping on your dome light when you get pulled over in your cage). His response was police officers are trained to look for behavior that is out of the ordinary. If he does 20 traffic stops and you're the only weirdo standing prostrate with your hands on your tank, using BOTH hand signals and turn signals or flipping on your dome light in your car you may be sending a red flag that something more than a traffic stop is going on here.

Rest of that list is great though!

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Recently

I got stopped and ticketed in the cage back on Memorial Day. I was traveling from Lynchburg to Roanoke, VA to take my college daughter to the airport.

Pulled over promptly, was as polite as possible - my other daughter was with me. And got the ticket anyway. No big deal, as I was speeding.

Later that morning, while waiting for the youngest daughter to finish some last minute tasks, I was looking over the ticket and saw where it said I could call "this number" if I had any complaints or comments. So... I called.

I told the person who answered the phone that I had been stopped by Trooper "Smith" that morning and that he had been polite and professional through the entire stop. Needless to say, I had to repeat it again, as I think I took them off guard.

Later that day, I got a call from the Shift Supervisor, querying about my "complaint". I had to state, again, that I had no complaint. I explained that Trooper "Smith" was polite and professional throughout the entire stop. While I would like to have not received a citation, that did not alter the fact that his conduct was quite nice. The supervisor stated that a letter would be added to his record reflecting this. I received a copy of it a week or so later.

Went to court for the citation a month later and the judged dropped it from 73 in a 60 to 69 in a 60 to save me a point on my license. Best outcome I could have hoped for.....

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
When I was younger and a tad bit dumber I got pulled over after hitting a bit over 100 mph going from one entrance on the highway to the next exit. When I stopped, the LEO tld me he was doing 70(Ford Mustang), floored it and I was still pulling away from him. He then thanked me for stopping. He said he was so tired of bike riders thinking they could outrun him and then they would get sideswiped going through an intersection. He gave me a 65 in a 55.

On the other hand, after another LEO pulled me over and asked me why I was going as fast as I was and replied with, "Because I could", I did get a full priced ticket.

Lucky I didn't go to jail on either since the second was 94 in a 55. Yup, I was really dumb at 18.

I do like the advice given here.

·
Registered
228 Posts
As an LEO this is pretty good advice. I don't do much traffic enforcement, but when I do it is usually a painless procedure. Use common sense and follow directions appropriately

In cars also keep in mind that different departments and even different regions have different procedures for stops. The two schools of thought are to leave the driver in the car and approach or to have the driver exit the car and walk to your vehicle. I've heard out west they always approach the car, my office policy is actually to have the driver exit.

If your average person knew the sheer amount of tactics, training, and mental concentration that goes into a "routine traffic stop" they would be amazed. It is one of my favorite things to train because proper training can and does save lives, but its one of the most aggravating cause a rookie will sit there and "What if" you to death.

·
Registered
462 Posts
On the other hand, after another LEO pulled me over and asked me why I was going as fast as I was and replied with, "Because I could", I did get a full priced ticket.
A better answer would be, " ... because I couldn't go any faster!"

No?

Yeah, I guess not. LOL :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
and then, we joined the Army.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Seems in my experience, your best bet is to be respectful. If the cop is a butt you will eat it regardless, but most people respond well to courtesy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts