RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A lot depends on where you live and supply and demand. Look in cycletrader at other 650s in your area. Search craigslist.

Look up values on www.nadaguides.com and www.kbb.com

You can also call a local bank and ask how much they would lend on the bike.

That said, if it is a green bike and you really love it, It's only money and you will make more. Just Kidding.

You can buy a brand new left over '09 Versys in WI for around $5000. Maybe you need to search for Ninja 650.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply, I've been searching every day for a month online, been to every site you listed above. looked at every craigslist within a 300 mile radius. just wanted a professionals opinion on what I should counter offer the dealership with. what it was worth. I was looking into the 09s but I dont really want a brand new bike as my first. I would hate myself if it got dropped or put minor bumps on it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
hiya, dime-, welcome to the forum and motorcycling.

you mentioned you did not want a new bike. the green one you are eyeing, though nearly 4 model years old (2012's'll be here late summer/early fall), is low mileage and probably in good cosmetic and mechanical shape - "nearly" new.

if you really need that one, i'd guess, without knowing anything else about the bike or the market in your neighborhood, not more than $3500 out the door. jus' sayin'. out-the-door might be nominal purchase price plus tax only, if the registration is still valid for 6 months (here in california i'm fairly certain that if one buys a used bike, a year's worth of registration must be paid if the current registration will expire in less than six months from the purchase date; in other words, the buyer would then have almost 18 months of paid registration once the sale was consummated).

good luck, and welcome again.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would shoot <4k. I would also not buy from a dealer but thats just me. Dont go in unless you can walk away from anything more than you are asking for. Make sure you look the bike over before even giving an offer. Battery, color of the oil, tires, chain, corrosion, bent handle bars, mods, etc.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
the issue is that most new riders do not know how to judge a bike and know how much work needs to be done to it to make it roadworthy. They also may not have the mechanical skills to make it that way.
If that's the case then I'd suggest buying from a dealership, which hopefully has done some setup work on the bike. You might still want to have an experienced rider take a look, especially if you are buying from a small dealership, with no warranty.
A big dealership here has lots of used bikes that get the full treatment before being sold. Many small dealerships, especially those selling different bikes from what they sell new, may not be so thorough.

And I would think the price on a 2009 would be closer to $4200-4300

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree with above.

Mid $3k for an '08 seems fair for what I know, I dont know much:cool:

If you feel more comfortable with buying from a dealer that has gone through the bike, your gonna pay a few hundred more. But that may be peace of mind for you.

If your wanting bottom dollar cheapest bike, look for private party that is desperate to sell.

For comparison I gave $3k for my '07 w/3700 miles in oct '10, not a scratch on it. Rear tire showed a little wear.
The first Bike I ever purchased was brand new. I would do it again as well. It is what ever you can afford along with whatever you are comfortable with.

But make sure to set aside time and money to take the motorcycle safety course in your area, along with basic safety gear. It is very easy to spend $1000 on gear. Coarse can be $150-200.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You should walk. If the dealer is starting at a price that high, it is unlikely they will come down to something even close to reasonable. You could almost get a new 09 for that much. A low mileage 650r will go for $3k-$4k and not likely have any major issues that even a n00b wouldn't notice. If it looks cares for and doesn't spew black smoke, yer 90% there.

The only bike I would buy new and/or from a dealer is a supersport, because they are so abused by idiots.

As mentioned, set aside a few hundo for gear. New Enough has some decent deals. If you aren't that picky you can usually get nicely set up for under $250

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
But make sure to set aside time and money to take the motorcycle safety course in your area, along with basic safety gear.
and also $$$ for maintenance and repair.

when i bought my first bike in 1997, i initiated a payroll deduction into a credit union savings account, my CLAP fund (chrome, leather, accessories, parts - LOLOLOL). when i retired in 08, i deposited half of a small retirement fund into the same account, so i'd always have a few bills available to keep my bikes operable.

and, yeah, good advice to enroll in an msf course.

the other half of the retirement fund is yet unconverted. i may use it to buy a mini-van for my wife, now that we are grandparents

my daughter emily, her hubby ricardo, MY grandson noah :ithank:

(sorry for the hi-jack.....)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Roughly 1 year ago i purchased an 08 fully stock never dropped on craigslist with only 1250 miles for $3750. With that being said another year has gone by so the bike depreciates once again. so I personally with it having 6k miles would walk out the door with that bike for 3500$. But this is a dealership so reasonably i doubt you will be able to walk away with it at $3500, so prob would offer 3900-4000$ saying they probably bought that from someone for 2000$, so this way there doubling there money which is usually the lowest they will go.

·
Registered
114 Posts
you guys have seriously depressed me in this thread. I paid 3600$ in february in northern nj for an 07 with 2700 miles on that had slightly scratched fairings. Now I feel like i was robbed lol. And I had done my research and checked craigslist daily, and dealers wanted way more.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Ya, some dealers wont budge. I tried to talk one down here when they were clearing out new 09's. They were asking around $6500 and I told him I could have one shipped, registered, etc. for under $5000. I was basically like if you could at least get closer I would buy locally. They did not budge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts