RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nothing done to it. new chian and sprocket and tires are recently new so good tread. was dropped so a few scratch marks on the mirror, handlebar, small stuff,etc. i was thinking 4k-4500

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I don't know how many vehicles you've sold. Thing is, you want the price to be attractive, but you always start at a higher price than what you are willing to accept, a large percentage of people are going to try to talk you down, and some will pay exactly what you ask with no questions assuming your price is fair.
I have only had my bike for 7 months, but I have sold two before and got exactly what I asked on both. I would start in the low to mid 5's as well, maybe $5,300 and see who bites, you can always come down. When selling don't come down too much to quick, make them justify their offer and be prepared to justify your price, then consider coming down.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
nothing done to it. new chian and sprocket and tires are recently new so good tread. was dropped so a few scratch marks on the mirror, handlebar, small stuff,etc. i was thinking 4k-4500
Depending on where you are, that's about right. I'd probably say $4250 FIRM, that way the upfront price is attractive, but you've already laid down your bottom acceptable price. NORMALLY, I'd say go with Leanit's strategy of asking $5300 but I think that price will scare away some potential buyers since you can buy a BRAND NEW 2012-2013 Ninja 650 without any scratches or 13,000 miles for $5700 OTD. You're also competing against dealers selling brand new bikes with an advertised price of $4899. An uninformed buyer (like a NEW rider looking for his first bike) wouldn't even give a second look at a used 13,000 scratched bike when you are asking $800 MORE than he thinks he can get a brand new bike for.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Depending on where you are, that's about right. I'd probably say $4250 FIRM, that way the upfront price is attractive, but you've already laid down your bottom acceptable price. NORMALLY, I'd say go with Leanit's strategy of asking $5300 but I think that price will scare away some potential buyers since you can buy a BRAND NEW 2012-2013 Ninja 650 without any scratches or 13,000 miles for $5700 OTD. You're also competing against dealers selling brand new bikes with an advertised price of $4899. An uninformed buyer (like a NEW rider looking for his first bike) wouldn't even give a second look at a used 13,000 scratched bike when you are asking $800 MORE than he thinks he can get a brand new bike for.

Of course there is a segment of society that doesn't even look at new anything. Even to gauge the pricing. There are also those who do no research and will just see Ninja and think that is a good price because they have seen other Ninjas priced near $10,000 on Craigslist. They won't even discern between a zx10r and a 650.

What it all boils down to is how long are you willing to wait for a buyer. How many tire kickers are you willing to deal with. How soon do you want to change bikes, etc.

You might want to ask yourself if you are done dropping bikes before you decide to move on to a Ninja 1000. ;)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
When I sold my 250R I priced it at the high end, but I'd taken good care of the bike (had all paperwork), they are always in high demand, and I even rode it to the buyer's house. I refused to take $1 less than what I was asking, and I sold it on the first day!

The 650 won't be as easy to sell. It's not a high-demand bike, especially with all the new small-medium bikes out there.
Small scratches won't help with finicky buyers...

I'd suggest pricing it on the lower end of local asking prices and, since the bike probably runs well, offering to deliver it to buyers in your city or county.
Be sure to give it a good wash before posting your ads.

Of course, you could always try extreme pricing, like this owner:
2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX 650 for sale

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
But maybe it's a really nice chrome license plate frame? And with him throwin' in a wheel lock and a used cover FREE...WHAT A STEAL!!! And if your listing it on C.List, be prepared for people texting/calling at all hours with DUMB questions, offering insulting offers, asking if you'll drive it to them to look at, and/or wanting to trade junk (and a free kitten) for your bike. LOL.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
You mentioned "extreme pricing", so I thought I'd mention this true story.

There was a guy that put his old, but working fridge by the road and he just wanted it gone, so he put a sign on it that said "Free Fridge"! A week went by, then nearly two, and the guys wife started giving him a hard time about how he needed to haul it off. So he made another sign, this one said, "Good Fridge- $150", and the next morning it was gone! Wife was happy, man was happy.

Now the first thought goes: damn, what's the world coming to, when people will steal from you.
The second thought is: when something has a perceived value (The worth that a product or service has in the mind of the consumer.) to someone, it is worth more than it's actual value!
This happens all the time in retail, car lots, etc., and although sometimes more expensive means better quality and better deal, it isn't always the case.
This works at carport sales as well, my mom did this with a stupid wooden duck she couldn't get rid of. Tried selling it for five dollars, no dice, jacked it up to fifteen, sold within 30 minutes.
A large majority of people don't know how much something is worth until YOU tell them what it's worth, which works out great since it's usually worth more to you than what any book will list it's value at.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I've tried giving some stuff away for free on CL and freecycle.com never much luck. Put a price tag on it, and people will actually show up to buy it. I think it's because if you are willing to GIVE it away, they figure there is something wrong with it, and then they change their mind before they even get to your house. On the other hand, anyone can click a mouse a couple times and get a pretty good idea of what a Ninja 650 is actually worth. I guess anyone that is dumb enough to think that '08 Ninja 650 is worth $7000 deserves a lesson in researching values.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts