RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed my MSF and trying to get a new bike. I'm trying to get a 650r and I'm new to this whole thing, but the dealer is asking for $4,999 for a 2006 with about 10,000 miles on it. The KBB value is $3000, is this the going rate or is the dealer way overpriced and how far down can I expect to get him down to? The bike is here. It is nothing special and shows its age.

Kawasaki 2006 Ninja® 650R

·
Registered
140 Posts
Overpriced. But it will depend on the market in your area mostly. Check craigslist.

In Texas my second bike was a 2006 Ninja 650R that I paid $3100 for. It had 26xx miles and I later resold it for $3500 after bringing the odo to about ~39xx.

Bike was super mint too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thats way high!!! I paid $3400 for my 2006 almost 3 years ago... Keep looking around the deals are out there, you just have to find them... I looked for several months before i finally found my bike.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
KBB retail is the price a dealer should sell the bike for. Way overpriced in my opinion.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yeah, that's way too high.

I purchased my 2009 Ninja 650. It was brand new but still on the dealer floor in Feb 2011. It had 2 miles on it. I got out the door for $5000. So $5K is crazy for a 2006 with 10K miles. And I assume that doesn't include all the fees and extras the dealer is going to add on?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
The dealer I've worked with in the last said most don't use KBB anymore. He said (owner of the place) most bike dealerships have switched to NADA. But yea that price is silly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought my 08 with 2990 miles on it last Oct. for $4500 from a dealer. I imagine I could have found a better deal but it was the best I could find in CT and surrounding states at the time.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Use the website searchtempest.com to search craigslist for near by areas. I would go up to 300 miles for a good deal, but thats just me. Renting a uhaul trailer for the day costs under $20. Can just get a trailer and go pick up the bike on a weekend if its not close by.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Bought my salvaged, bent up but complete '06 with 5900 miles for $1500 last February. Trailered it home. Deals are out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Use the website searchtempest.com to search craigslist for near by areas. I would go up to 300 miles for a good deal, but thats just me. Renting a uhaul trailer for the day costs under $20. Can just get a trailer and go pick up the bike on a weekend if its not close by.
I've been thinking about this. I'm currently looking in minneapolis and illinois. My main issue is what if I drive all the way and end up not buying the bike? The cost of the trailer is not a concern, but the amount of driving will be

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
It's a risk you take to save money, perhaps hundreds of dollars. if you don't want to hunt around, take the time, go look at bikes, then pay what the dealership wants. ;)

·
Registered
970 Posts
My experience has been you can expect the dealer to mark it up as much as humanly possible. I've seen bikes sit in a dealership for months, and they won't come off of it at all. I don't understand why some dealers will refuse to budge at all, versus the opportunity to actually sell something.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
On a related note, if I do find one from a private party, how do I verify the VIN?

You read the VIN number off the bike and compare it to the title. If your not sure if the title is legitimate then do the transaction at the DMV or your bank where a notary will verify.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
My experience has been you can expect the dealer to mark it up as much as humanly possible. I've seen bikes sit in a dealership for months, and they won't come off of it at all. I don't understand why some dealers will refuse to budge at all, versus the opportunity to actually sell something.
I guess some will, others don't. I've gotten some really good deals from dealers around here. I'm not saying EVERY bike is a good deal, but when they get a bike for a good deal they pass the savings on to the customer, you just have to keep an eye out.

Pay attention to prices in your entire area, even if it's further than you want to travel, it will still give you an idea of what the bike SHOULD cost.

One more thing, keep your options open. The 650R is a good bike, but there is nothing magical about it. If you have multiple bikes you are looking at you'll more likely find one at a good price. I look at it like I like to try different bikes out, so if I find a good deal on ANY bike, I'll buy it, might not be the exact bike I am looking for but at least I can check it off in the "been there, done that" box. After awhile I can sell the bike for what I paid for it since I got a good deal. Then I can find another good deal.
On the other hand if you HAVE to have a specific model, specific year, specific color it's probably gonna be a lot harder to find, when you DO find it, you'll have to pay whatever the seller is asking.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm in a country where a new Ninja 650 retails for $14500. I wouldn't pay $5k for a 6 year old one here, so it's definitely too much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
cgd groups online is a group of Researchers specialized in wholesale and retail worldwide distribution of non prescription drugs like MDMA,GHB,DMT,Cocaine,Heroin,Ecstasy,Lsd,Fentanyl,Research chemicals,Crystal meth,Mephedrone,Ketamine and many more.You can buy from us with 100% confidence that you will receive exactly what you ordered, it will be dispatched quickly and discreetly.we offer our clients the best prices available online, guaranteed,For wholesale orders and we offer substantial discounts on all of our products for bulk quantities.We ship via FedEX,TNT,UPS, etc.we also have pilot,loco pilot,Cargo Van Driver,bus driver all over that we use to deliver our products smoothly.We have a 100% delivery success record.order now and enjoy our services and products.cocaine,heroin,ecstasy,Lsd,fentanyl,research chemicals for sale.worldwide discreet delivery for all order placed with this Legit online group of Researchers store CGD GROUPS ONLINE

website: Dmt,Ghb,Cocaine,Heroin,Ecstasy,Lsd,Fentanyl,Research chemicals for sale

email: [email protected]

twitter: @cgdgroupsonline

address: 2757 Alsace Ave, Los Angeles, CA, 90016, USA

1 - 20 of 22 Posts