• No noise at all like an electric vehicle

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If money, vibrations, power, safety, and the need to hear the engine for shifting and over reving were not an issue, how loud would you make your ZR?

Lets say it would be possible to have no noise at all like an electric vehicle. It could have the same power with an automatic transmission and you could not over-rev it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I like the bike somewhat loud for two reasons:

1. It sounds less wimpy
2. Cage drivers have 5 senses, right. Most of the time, they rely on nothing but sight to make driving decisions. Works fine for seeing other cars, but not bikes. So why not add another sense (hearing) to let them know you're there? That's my theory. Blind spot cutoffs and some other situations are probably avoided with a louder bike.

That being said, I've been next to harley's with straight pipes, and I couldn't even hear my own bike idling! And that's with a Kerker race can on mine! And another time I was accelerating behind a HD and had to look at my tach because I couldn't hear mine. So it's all relative.

kelly

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kelly,

The poll question said if "safety" was not an issue. Would you vote differently if you caught that?

Andy

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Andy- You're right, I missed that. I would stick with the same answer though. But it would just be because of reason #1.

kelly :)

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
But what is a safety issue? Scratching safety is different to commuting safety.

When commuting with a loud can, people do move over for you. When flat out scratching you don't have time to read the guages, so noise ( and feel ) is mainly what tells you to change gear, get off the brakes, ease up on the downchanges etc etc. A couple of times I have gone from cacaphony to dead quiet while downchanging...ooops locked the rear and killed the motor, so I was able to react before the thing went sideways. Also it's nice to hear the engine pitch change when going up through the gears.

Mine is loud enough without making your ears bleed ( err well only once :D ) on a long haul. That's loud enough.

:)

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point Mike. I forgot about the fact that you mostly use your hearing to determine when to shift.

Okay, lets say you have an automatic transmission and you didn't have to worry about engine RPM at all. Then how would you vote?

BTW I'll edit the poll question to reflect the above line.

Andy

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i'm voting silent. i like a little rumble BUT cycle world just reported (april 2002, pager 30) that kawasaki canada is backing a hybrid bike project. and it's not some wimpy commuter, it's a sport bike! can you imagine a green vehicle that would keep up with the best? i'd love to see it go full electric but that's probably a ways off. still, nothing but wind noise through the twisties would be an awesome experience!

scott :)

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
fade said:

.............Yoshi .....................:cool:
I'm supporting my Yoshimura round race, which BTW the way is slighty louder than the Yoshimura Zyclone. Not to forget the "Muzzy" which is a great full system or s/o for any Kawasaki made. Tom :D

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scottaraujo said:
still, nothing but wind noise through the twisties would be an awesome experience!
What do you mean "would be"? I do it everytime I go for a ride. Like today for example. It is so much fun to ride real fast with no engine noise and gear shifting. Can you guess what I am doing?

Andy

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i can guess andy, gotta try that next time on the mountain. still can't wheelie out of the corners though.

historic thread here though. i don't think you've ever taken three hits without returning at least one pic ;)

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Napping... too funny. :laugh:

Okay so I like to take a little nap when I get back from a fast ride, err, coast down the mountain. :)

Andy

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Get yourself a Yoshie.......:)laugh: :laugh: :laugh: sorry Berto )
..go for a ride and watch the tach.................come home throw the tach away and just use your ears to shift ............what a rush I wear earplugs (helmet noise) and my Yoshie resonates in my head with a sweet sound......so who needs a stinking tach.
....... Quiet...... who wants a bike that no one hears........hellfire they can't see us now when were right in front on them............I can't imagine that one. Wait let me try ......The bike is so quiet I think I'll install a radio........SPLAT!!!!!!
Do they make any cellphone jamming equiptment yet???.......There's a problem that needs to be addressed ....caggers with phones.

·
Registered
499 Posts
killer

Fade,

There is a cell phone jamming device "out there" for the truly irritated driver.

Not sure how it works except to say the info on the web site states it's a one push button state of the art scrambler that will instantly disrupt any and all analog ? cell phones within a given distance from the unit.

Like the idiot I am, I didn't bother to note the web site so I'm afraid you will have to dig around to find any more info.

Sorry 'bout that!

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike,

Today I was taking it easy on a very straight road, I noticed that above 50 MPH when the revs are low, you cannot hear the engine at all. All I could hear was the wind noise. So it appears that you mostly shift by feel not by hearing.

Andy

·
3,610 Posts
Personally I'd want my pipe to be loud enough so that an 80 year old grandma behind the wheel of her 1985 Grand Marquis can hear me over her gospel music and through her hearing aids that have dead batteries. Then it would be loud enough.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts