RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I think some of this discussion might be missing the point. Any bike, even the worst designed with terrible build quality, can last forever if you keep replacing parts indefinitely as they wear out or break. But that would probably be cost prohibitive as well as time consuming and frustrating.

I think a better question to satisfy the OP's curiosity is "Are there any known weaknesses or problems that would necessitate expensive repairs"? And "are there any parts prone to failure"? That kind of thing.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I wonder what the balance is between not beating on the bike but not babying it either? Is riding the bike "hard" bad for it, or is that how the bike likes it? By "hard" I just mean aggressive throttle usage and high-rpm shifting..

Are track days bad for the bike? A guy I met at the track said he thought it was good for the bike to get aired-out like that from time to time...
I think anybody who races or has frequent track days will agree that the high rpm usage causes increased ring wear and more frequent need of valve adjustments. Many years ago the California Superbike school made an artificial readline on their bike's tachs that was at about 70 or 80 percent of the original redline, the reason being that most of the wear occurred in that upper range, and you could get a good track experience without max revs.

So, to answer your question, I think once you run the engine over 70 to 80 percent of redline, say 8000 rpm for our bike, you are beginning to run it "hard". At that rpm you will still be able to out accelerate just about any car on the road, and exceed any legal speed limit in the country.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My previous bike, a 83 Maxim 750, was still running strong at 35000 miles. My friend in New Zealand, his 83 Maxim has um... 300,000 miles on it. He did the valve shims last year, new carb boots, and I think he rebuilt his calipers in 2005. But that's it. New oil every 3500 miles and diff oil every 2 years (XJ750's are shaft).

The only common maintenance items we need to be wary of are sprokets and chains, tires, bulbs, frequent coolant changes, and the odd brake fluid swap. Other than that, our bikes should be tip-top unless you abuse them. Good for at least 30 years or 300,000 miles, whatever comes first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whoever told you they only last to 20,000 miles is a moron. A bike will last for however long you take proper care of it. Of course your going to have to do some maintenance down the line, it might even get expensive at times but it doesn't have an expiration date that causes it to crap out after 20k.

Different people, ride their bikes in different ways. Some have the funds to be able to ride a bike for only a couple thousand miles before selling it for a new one. Others have been riding the same bike for 20 years. Everyones experience differs.
I have a 2010 650 rl
Done 136000 km and still purring like a *****-cat cat. Regular oil/filter change etc. Still got lots left in the girl. Like a woman. Treat with respect not aggression listen to an noise and will be life long partner
Cheers David

21 - 24 of 24 Posts