RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I got a 07 650r with 3500 miles on it thinking of selling because I heard they only last till 20,000 miles. Is this true can anyone tell me what I can expect out of a lifespan with a 650r milage wise. Thanx guys

·
Banned
57 Posts
hey guys I got a 07 650r with 3500 miles on it thinking of selling because I heard they only last till 20,000 miles. Is this true can anyone tell me what I can expect out of a lifespan with a 650r milage wise. Thanx guys
Whoever told you they only last to 20,000 miles is a moron. A bike will last for however long you take proper care of it. Of course your going to have to do some maintenance down the line, it might even get expensive at times but it doesn't have an expiration date that causes it to crap out after 20k.

Different people, ride their bikes in different ways. Some have the funds to be able to ride a bike for only a couple thousand miles before selling it for a new one. Others have been riding the same bike for 20 years. Everyones experience differs.

·
Banned
57 Posts
hmmm so if I take care of it I could get 50k at least
As I said, everyone's experience differs. But, with modern technology and probably a little money down the line, I would have to say yes it could possibly last that long. However, most people tend not to keep their bikes for that long. In motorcycle miles, 50k is ALOT, unlike your car. Personally I've put 9k on mine since August of last year and people consider that to be alot. Figure by the end of this season I'll be around 14k. Which averages me out to 7k a season. So 7 x 7 = 49k miles which would essentially be 7 seasons/years out of my bike. And personally, I plan to replace it within 5 years.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Would 50k miles be considered "a lot" because people don't usually put that many miles on a bike, or is it because the bike isn't expected to make it that long mechanically?

In other words, are motorcycle engines and parts able to last as long as with (Japanese) cars or do they burn out quicker?

My bike has 4,200 miles on it now and runs like a champ I can say that - have had it diligently serviced and the oil has been changed 4 x so far.. I love this bike, it's just awesome after the mods - I'm gonna keep it for sure, though I plan to get another one at some point..

·
Banned
397 Posts
There's no definitive answer. Totally depends on how it's ridden and maintained.

·
Registered
93 Posts
5k a year is not a LOT. But if you do 5k a year it'll take you 4 years to get to 20k. I have a buddy has 60k on his VTX1300 right now. Still running strong.

I have never known anyone to wear a motorcycle ALL the way out. They usualy get rid of them and get another before that ever happens.

Usualy a bike get abandoned at some point and sits up and rots away in an old shed somewhere long before it it's just WORN OUT. And even those old rotten bikes can be restored and brought back to life!

Maybe somone should design an really inexpensive disposable motorcycle? Ride it for a few years and just throw it away? Nah, I have to much respect for bikes to just discard em to a trash heap! :nono:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll echo all the guys that are telling you it all depends on how the bike is maintained. One of the outstanding reasons you don't see "sport" bikes with higher mileage is people tend to wad them up in a ditch, tree, tumble them down a road, whatever. Doesn't mean they aren't capable of what you are calling high miles.

There are plenty of people that use the 650r for sport touring that are up in the 50-60+k miles.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have almost 54,000 miles on my 06, and I expect to go at least 100,000. There are several reasons for this: First, it is a water-cooled engine, second, it is ridden by a guy who knows how to maintain a vehicle and not abuse it, third, it is a Kawasaki and they are known for having robust engines.

I put 126,000 miles on a 1980 Kawasaki 550 before I sold it, but after 100,000 it was pretty tired and so I did a complete top-end rebuild on it. I don't expect to have to do that with the 650R because the water cooling keeps the engine from running hot at long stops or slow traffic, or steep hills.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put 77k miles on a honda VFR750. i expect to put atleast that many on my Ninja 650R. Do preventive maintanance. and don't beat it. you'll get alot out of it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As with all modern engines NEVER underestimate the importance of regular oil changes. If you dont do a lot of miles put fresh oil in at the start of the riding 'season' even if it's only done say 500 miles since you changed it last. Oil is still cheap (except for BP of course) and engines are expensive.
Ride safe, Salopian.

·
Registered
586 Posts
modern motorcycles last longer than the old school bikes...

take that and add a dash of "the 650R is not a knife edge 600cc engine"

and there is no reason with proper maintenance this bike should last 100k miles easily... if not more

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
modern motorcycles last longer than the old school bikes...
Not necessarily. Some of the most durable motorcycles ever are the old air-cooled Moto Guzzi and BMW bikes ... last as long if not longer than anything on the road today. Maintenance is extremely important of course, but the way a bike is built is critical to it's longevity.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I know guys who have put 300,000 miles on Kawasaki Voyager 1200 I-4 bikes.
A buddy of mine has 86,000 miles on his 86 VFR.
I have even read on the KLR 650 forum of guys with over 50,000 miles on the single cylinder thumper engine.

I also know young guys who have blown up car engines within 30,000 miles.

If you take care of your things they will take car of you. If you are redlining every shift and pulling wheelies, etc you will need to do more maintenance to expect any kind of mileage out of the bike.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have 30k and it still runs as strong as when I bought it with 16k. I fully expect to get 100k out of it. I will likely have to rebuild the clutch at some point but who cares. Modern bikes can last a long time with regular proper maintaince.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not necessarily. Some of the most durable motorcycles ever are the old air-cooled Moto Guzzi and BMW bikes ... last as long if not longer than anything on the road today. Maintenance is extremely important of course, but the way a bike is built is critical to it's longevity.
generally speaking though...

·
Registered
366 Posts
There's no definitive answer. Totally depends on how it's ridden and maintained.
Absolutely agree. The original question is kind of like asking how long will a person live?

43,655 miles on my 07 right now; no oil consumption, some of the best mpg since bought new, and the only thing that's gone wrong so far was the stator went out.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I wonder what the balance is between not beating on the bike but not babying it either? Is riding the bike "hard" bad for it, or is that how the bike likes it? By "hard" I just mean aggressive throttle usage and high-rpm shifting..

Are track days bad for the bike? A guy I met at the track said he thought it was good for the bike to get aired-out like that from time to time...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts