RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm new to this so I please excuse the newbie question but, how long should it take to:
1. Do a 6500 mile service
2. Add Progressive Front Fork Springs
3. Install Holeshot Stage 1 Jet Kit

The reason I'm asking is my shop is takin' FOREVER :yell: to do these task. Maybe it just feels like forever because I don't know.

Here's the scoop:
I called the shop on Friday morning, having already explained what I wanted done on Tuesday, and ask them how long it would all take. They tell me, "Today or tomorrow at the lastest". I take a lunch break to ride to go home to get my bike (it's was raining so I took my Jeep) and ride in the rain to drop it off at the shop.
My wife followed me so I could have a ride back. Miserable ride.
To make it worse, the rain stopped once I dropped off the bike (thank you Mr. Murphy).

I call them Friday night and they tell me to "Not yet. Call tomorrow to at 2:00 to get an ETA". So, I agonize through Saturday morning and call them @ 2 pm. They tell me "Not yet. He had to remount the new slip-on. It will be done today though, near the close of business (6 pm)."

4:30 pm on Saturday they call me and say "Sorry, it's not done. So we should have it for you next Tuesday afternoon. We are closed on Sunday and Monday. Sorry."

Tuesday morning I call for status "We'll have it done around 3ish". I have a meeting from 2-3 so I postpone my lunch and took it after the meeting to get my bike. Dash home at 2:50, wife drives me to shop, get to the shop by 3:35 with my riding gear, walk into the shop. They tell me "Sorry, we're a little behind, he should be done by 5:30".

I have my wife take me back to work. Make it back by 4:20. She decides to hang out by my work and get a bite to eat instead of heading home. LA traffic is terrible, that's why I bought the bike to begin with.

5:35 pm, I head out from work (having just heard some really irritating news at work). I call them to make sure it's ready and they say "Sorry, he's just finishing up the value adjustment, and still needs to do the front spings. It will be tomorrow at noon for sure."

So I ask you, How long does this stuff take ? I have to manage projects at work myself and give people time estimates and if I was ever this wrong I would have been fired by now. Don't these guys realize that riding has become an addiction for me which can only be cured by RIDING.

Sorry, I needed to vent someplace to someone who would understand.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Lets calculate how long each step takes...

Roll it to the back. (2 minutes)
Drop it. (1 second)
Get parts to fix the damage due to dropping it. (3 days)
Repair damage. (20 minutes)
Do the work you requested. (4 hours)

Hope this helps.

Andy

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Yeah dude, something's not right. This stuff should be done in a day MAX. The service is probably a few hours. They have easy access to the carbs anyway, so adding the jets should be no more than an hour or two. The springs? 10 minutes. 15 max. They screwed something up and they're jerking you around. Ask to see the bike or something. See what they say.

Emrah

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Man, everytime I see this kind of sh*t, I am so grateful for the dealership and the mechs at TEAM POWER SPORTS here in Fayetteville, NC. No [email protected]@t, no excuses, no delays, but the most responsive guys/gals, bar none. (You agree LUVCHLD)? Our folks are second to none. Must have something to do with Fayetteville/Fort Bragg and responsiveness....hooaahh! Tom :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it back

Finally, I got the bike back. They finally called me at 3:45 today to say that it was done. They claimed that the "values are tight".
And that they had to keep going out and getting smaller shims.
They also said the the PVC spacer was not quite right when he first put it in and that he had to "tweak" it to take some of the
stiffness out.

Despite waiting 5 and a half days to get it back, IT RIDES LIKE A DREAM. No more annoying throttle lag. No dive when I get on the brakes. It's nice. Now I just need to put on the Zero Gravity Windscreen I picked up today.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Glad to hear you got it back Stan. They must have sensed you were getting a little frustrated and put their best man on the job.

I was in there earlier and took this picture of him in action.

Andy

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andy Bajka said:
Glad to hear you got it back Stan. They must have sensed you were getting a little frustrated and put their best man on the job.

I was in there earlier and took this picture of him in action.

Andy
Andy,

He didn't look quite that intelligent but, I think he was a repair
mechanic who finally got a shot at being a performance mechanic.

I'll have to admit, he did a great job. (I hope so he used a quarter
tank of gas). It's responsive, no more off idle hesitation. It does
suck down more gas though or it could be me testing it out.

Old Couple on the 101 Hwy "My God, what was that Red streak that went by us ?"

The Progressive fork springs are just really help added to the
bike's maneuverability (I didn't think this was possible). There
was also a ticking sound that went away when I got it back. :)

Have to say I was much more freaked out before I got it back.
Now, I think that I'm just happy to be riding again :D Even in
the rain (rain ? what rain ?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts