RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have Ninja 400. I'm thinking of getting a 2018 Ninja 650. I can take the Ninja 400 to 10,000 rpm, but I read that Ninja 650 max horsepower is limited to 8,000 rpm. I'd like to take the engine to 9,500 rpm, with no change to cams and valves train. I'll get custom full exhaust system, and custom ECU for this process, but wonder if the valve springs are up to the job, and if the stock cylinder head is effecient for this. I'll also get suspensions improvement, and track tyres.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The 17+ ninja 650 has a rev limit of 10,000rpm which is 1000rpm lower than the 16 and below 650s.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I already have Ninja 400. I'm thinking of getting a 2018 Ninja 650. I can take the Ninja 400 to 10,000 rpm, but I read that Ninja 650 max horsepower is limited to 8,000 rpm. I'd like to take the engine to 9,500 rpm, with no change to cams and valves train. I'll get custom full exhaust system, and custom ECU for this process, but wonder if the valve springs are up to the job, and if the stock cylinder head is effecient for this. I'll also get suspensions improvement, and track tyres.
I upgraded to 2017 Ninja 650 and my last bike was Ninja 300. I also had Ninja 250R as well.

When I got my Ninja 650, right off the bat it handled a lot worse and it wasn't fun to rev at all because all the power/torque was at low end or mid range.

I say this because you're talking about suspension upgrade and track tires... I honestly think you're trying to pick a wrong bike. Get a ZX-6R.
The ZX-6R feels similar to Ninja 300 (I imagine similar to 400 as well) when you're going slow but has lots of power when you need it.

Also the suspension on Ninja 650 is not that great, during hard braking, it's quite a bit more unstable than the Ninja 300 and it does feel like pogo stick.

I'm not saying the Ninja 650 is a bad bike, but it is more like a sport touring-ish or kind of closer to standard bike. Not a sportbike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I upgraded to 2017 Ninja 650 and my last bike was Ninja 300. I also had Ninja 250R as well.

When I got my Ninja 650, right off the bat it handled a lot worse and it wasn't fun to rev at all because all the power/torque was at low end or mid range.

I say this because you're talking about suspension upgrade and track tires... I honestly think you're trying to pick a wrong bike. Get a ZX-6R.
The ZX-6R feels similar to Ninja 300 (I imagine similar to 400 as well) when you're going slow but has lots of power when you need it.

Also the suspension on Ninja 650 is not that great, during hard braking, it's quite a bit more unstable than the Ninja 300 and it does feel like pogo stick.

I'm not saying the Ninja 650 is a bad bike, but it is more like a sport touring-ish or kind of closer to standard bike. Not a sportbike.
I finally bought the 2018 Ninja Ninja 650. Right off the bat it handled a lot worse than my Ninja 400. I just the replace stock tyres with Continental Trail Attack 2, and what an improvement. The bike handles almost like my Ninja 400, on tight gokart track. Since I weigh only 154 lbs, stock suspensions are OK, so is the braking. But initially the Ninja 650 throttle response was P poor. But now with >400 km., it has improved much. I'm going to keep the Ninja 650 as a light touring bike, and would step up to ZX-6R or CBR1000RR SP if I dire for more power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts